Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
PBcastco Inline Fabrication

Thread: beeswax

Boolit Master

beeswax

Some years back I bought about 30-40 pounds of beeswax from a gentleman near or in Henderson Nevada. Flash forward to today. Well that same tub has been sitting in an airconditioned room ever since. Here's is the deal, first member to PM me that lives in Louisiana (not selling this stuff) and wants it and I will let him know where I live to come and pick it up tub that the wax is in, not ever going to use it so consider this a freebe. This is the only site that I have posted this offer. my decision is final. regards,Frank

PS, if the mods want to move this to a more appropriate section of this forum fine with me.

Boolit Master
    Nice offer!
    That beeswax is likely as good as when ya got it back then being in an AC room. I think it has a extremely long "shelf Life" if maintained in a cool dry place. Someone could be a happy person.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That'll sure make a blackpowder shooter or a home lubemaker in LA very happy. 'Nice gift!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    The USN surplus beeswax seems to work about as well as conventional beeswax, but seems to be a little more liquid when blending with other material. Meaning use a little less, or end up with a blend a little softer. This is good stuff so it is quite a score for someone getting started. Very generous of Samari46 to make this gift.

Some of the blocks I have are discolored and gritty, but if you melt and filter it, you will be good to go. Or trim it off and make some fire starters. It will be quite versatile and once you clean it up, seal it in plastic because bees wax is a dirt magnet.

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread to the helping hands section.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    JonB, thanks for putting it in the right place. Frank

Boolit Master
    Dusty, and others. Pending working out the details the beeswax has been spoken for. Your right about it being discolored and maybe gritty. But I figure that whom ever gets it will enjoy the heck out of it. Keeping a small piece for waxing thread. Thanks for your comments all, greatly appreciated. Frank

Boolit Master
    As of now the gentleman who asked for the beeswax cannot at this time arrange for it's pickup. So at this point in time it's back up for anyone in Louisiana who wants it and they will have to come to my house also in Louisiana to pick it up. From it's sitting in a rubber maid type tub kinda stuck inside it. May have to cut it with an old knife or something equally creative. From what I can see the top chunk looks to be fairly clean from sand or grit. Still wondering what the navy used beeswax for though. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    As of now the gentleman who asked for the beeswax cannot at this time arrange for it's pickup. So at this point in time it's back up for anyone in Louisiana who wants it and they will have to come to my house also in Louisiana to pick it up. From it's sitting in a rubber maid type tub kinda stuck inside it. May have to cut it with an old knife or something equally creative. From what I can see the top chunk looks to be fairly clean from sand or grit. Still wondering what the navy used beeswax for though. Frank
    Some years back a member here bought a very large quantity of WWII surplus wax at auction, thinking it was beeswax. He sold quite allot of it to members here and it indeed made very good bullet lube. However tests by the science guys revealed it was not beeswax but some kind of primitive man made stuff no longer available today. Lacking a better name, we just called it Navy Wax. I still have 20 pounds in this shop somewhere.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Will keep this wax available for the next week. Sorry cannot ship bum leg right now. Think the slabs are about 1 1/4" thick x 12-14" wide x about 16-18" long. Frank

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar is correct about the wax. I was on another elist at the time I bought my stash. The seller had some other darker wax as well and I never have figured out exactly what that is. I have used some, shared some, still have a good amount. I need to make a lot more lube and shoot a lot more cast bullets. Whoever gets it would be well advised to not try to melt and clean large quantities because small quantities are easier to work with when melting and straining and pouring into plastic molds for storage. Good luck to whoever can arrange to get this wax. Very generous offer. Dusty

Boolit Master
    I took a section out of the tub with an old butcher knife. Since it's been residing in the tub since I got it, still tacky so hasn't dried out. Regular parrafin wax on the other hand just feels smooth with no tackyness what so ever. Yeah have to tell my daughter the soap maker to first melt only what she can use at a time, then pour through cheese cloth to get the sand and grit out. I remember a couple pics the seller posted showing a 30 or 40 foot trailer full of this stuff. And who knows exactly how old. Like I said it's still tacky. and apparently hasn't dried out yet after all these years. Char-Gar said they just called it navy wax. But did mention that it wasn't real bees wax but some primitive wax no longer made today. And does make a good bullet lube. Kinda funny though. Here we have a non available wax made by primitive methods by people unknown and today some of use are using it for bullet lube. And no way to detirmine it's age. Like I said next sunday will pull this offer,but in the meantime I hope someone here I louisiana will come and take it. I have one maybe two websites that someone will take it, but Castboolits members have helped me over the years so you guys and gals get first dibs. Frank

Boolit Master
    Thread closed. Mods please delete. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

closed and moved to "completed deals"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001