RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Any flash holes about .096?

Boolit Master

Any flash holes about .096?

Anyone know if the flash hole on any type of cartridge would be close to .096? I’m thinking of getting a peep sight for my 39a and wanted to see what it would look like first through my tired old eyes. I’m hoping that I might actually be able to see my front sight clearly through it.

Thanks
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

The NM rear sights for the grand and M1a-M14 were hooded appetures in 2 sizes .052 and .059. Most lash holes are .060 or so. what you could try is opening a flash hle up to .09325 with a 3/32 drill bit. There may be a number drill close to .096 but I don't have a drill chart or Machinists hand book close by. It might be a plus to order a adjustable merit disk to fit the receiver sight, these are adjustable and have a good range. There is also the Hadley eye cups but they are larger and might look out of place on a 39As smaller frame. I have seen hunting rifles used with just the receiver sight and no insert as a ghost ring rear, this would be a 7/32 hole on most of them ( around .200)

Boolit Master
    Thanks
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

#41 drill = .096" (2.4384mm)

Boolit Master
    I did this with one of my rifles-a rifle passed through the family that I did not want to modify. I bought a $15 marbles "Bullseye sight" which is a large ring with a smaller ring in the center. I cut down a pistol case (44 or 45 as I recall) and forced it into the large ring on the bullseye sight with a slight interference fit. Then drilled out the flash hole a little (I used 0.078, which worked good for my eyes).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0023.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	218798
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Very nice Hick! it looks like from the picture that you attached it to the sight adjustment somehow – – how did you do that? Did you have to get a higher front sight?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a set of number drills Start out around .070-.080 size and keep opening up in a few thousandths at a time till you get what you want in sight picture. Check it outside with natural light and morning noon and evening to see how different light levels affect it. On bright days a smaller appeture can be used on overcast days a larger appeture allows more light in to the eye.

If you want to see a real improvement in sight picture, Pick up a long billed ball cap. Ahand towel or bandanna draped over the cap from front edge of bill back and hanging over the sides. This puts the eyes in the shade opening the pupils while the target is in the bright light. The opened pupils increase clarity and vision.

Boolit Master
    ghh3rd

The basic sight is a Marbles Bullseye-- that goes in the dovetail and comes with the adjuster-- you just add the cut down cartridge case and turn it into a peep sight with adjuster. Since it is the same height as my original semi-buckhorn I did not have to change the front sight.
    Hick: Iron sights!