RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muzzleloader 32-40 barrel ??? will it work

Boolit Master
    I'll try a .308 bullet to 'patch up' first.
    Then I'll compare that to a slick sided bullet with a modified Lee mold. The Lee mold is $21 online and it comes predrilled with its 2 cavities.
    With 2 cavities I could experiment with different diameters and weights.
    At this point I wouldnt care if the nose looked like the end of a drill bit, I'm looking for something to stabilize and relatively easy to load.
    Anyway, I could control the drilling depth and leave the original Lee nose profile intact, maybe the end result would have a shoulder like a semi-wadcutter.

Boolit Master
    I tried to run a 5/16 drill bit into the Lee 155gr spitzer mold. It came out big, about 318 and the base is swelled.
    Who is the guy that can cut gas check base out? Isnt there a guy that customizes some molds?

I couldnt wait to shoot it, I used .32 pistol bullets cast soft, that the only plain base I got near .311. I have a old scope on it and I think the scope is walking, not holding zero.
    I do need a false muzzle though, it is very difficult to start a bullet straight without buggering it up.

Boolit Master
    I made a 184gr paper patch slick.
    I got a Lee 160gr tumble lube rifle mold and ran a reamer into the gas check and I stopped the reamer at the nose ogive,
    I hope this works !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_144733.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	220506

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_144716.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	220507

Boolit Master
    After a long time away from this project, I got back to it. A few trips to the range, and it was cutting the paper as if the rifling was too sharp and cutting the paper patch.
    100 or so rounds and this seemed to go away. I get a couple rounds in a group, then it open up, fighting this back an forth, I thought the problem was in scope mount, and shelved it for awhile. Paper patch seems like a PITA.
    Today I got proper scope blocks drilled & tapped, with a Litschert 10x scope. I also got a new mold for a better sized boolit and some loob grooves. I'm planning to give up on paper and use a lube groove boolit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123