Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about faith

Talk to me about faith

Scripture says that we walk by faith, not by sight. I've heard preachers and even read here that we need to "turn our lives over the Christ" - even said it myself. Got to admit that, though I've been a Christian for a long time, I haven't lived a consistent life and now, well, I'm just not sure what this really means. How do we walk by faith? Is this the "blank check" I've heard preachers refer to? If it is, how do you know if you've actually signed it? I try to live as I think God wants me to live... I'm just confused, I guess.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

The New Testament expects believers to trust in Christ for salvation and then live a life that reflects the teachings of Christ and the Apostles. In short, this means loving God and loving our neighbors. Loving God means attempting to do what is pleasing to him and loving our neighbors means doing what is best for them even if we must sacrifice to do so.

Boolit Master

Faith is beleiving in a God we can not see or touch. That belief is so strong that we do not want to violate any of his commandments. If we have an absolute faith then it will affect how me behave. Proper behavior is obedience.

I prefer to say it a different way.

Lay ALL your troubles and burdens at the Lords feet. Leave them there.
    Take up his yoke, your faith, the Holy Spirit, and peace like a river will show you when you take a step in the right direction, and when wrong.

The LORD is the master, serve him. Serve ONLY him.

Now I am a firm believer that the Lord helps those who help themselves.
    Those who are prepared to meet with almost anything. Tools, knowledge, water, food on hand with enough for you and yours, and enough to share.

But don't get caught up in the material world. All of this world shall pass away.
    We take none of it with us when we go. Nothing material.

Build your treasure in heaven by doing good works in HIS name. By helping those you meet along the way. Byvisiting those infirm or in prison, feeding the hungry, healing the sick, comforting those who need comforting.

That treasure shall not pass away.

Hard to do. But try.

Remember to love, to judge not, to forgive, yes even turn the other cheek and forgive again.

We all fail, stumble, and fall daily. But we are trying. And progress is made a little at a time.

Cleanse your heart of all ill feelings, grudges, hate, of any sort. Take each one out, look at it as Jesus would. See where the pain comes from, understand it, forgive it. Then let it go. Once you have a clean, pure heart go to your knees in prayer. Ask to be washed clean in the blood of the Lamb. Ask for the holy spirit to come live in your clean heart. Keep it clean.

Some things you will probably need help with, I did. Ask for it, ask and it shall be granted. Knock and the door shall open.

Walk in the light!

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I try to live as I think God wants me to live....
    I think you already know the answer.

I go through the same thing. I imagine every christian does in one way or another, or at one time or another.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. romans 10:17

For me, that is not just going to church or reading the bible, but reminding myself and or reciting of scripture. Such as, John 3:16 or psalm 23. Whenever I am feeling down I remind myself and it helps me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think you already know the answer.
    Could be. But I wrote this because I often feel that I'm just spinning my wheels, so to speak. Like I'm not getting as close to Him as I want to be and it isn't He who moved.

"Cleanse your heart of all ill feelings, grudges, hate, of any sort. Take each one out, look at it as Jesus would. See where the pain comes from, understand it, forgive it. Then let it go." Getting there, GhostHawk. It's the letting go that's hard. I put it down, only to discover I've picked it back up again - hence my current questions about the depth of my faith.
    Last edited by histed; 04-19-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Did Christ die to bring you into his covenant? Do you believe? We can never measure up stop trying. Be still, listen, he will hear you. He loved you so much he gave his Son to die for you.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    Could be. But I wrote this because I often feel that I'm just spinning my wheels, so to speak. Like I'm not getting as close to Him as I want to be and it isn't He who moved.

"Cleanse your heart of all ill feelings, grudges, hate, of any sort. Take each one out, look at it as Jesus would. See where the pain comes from, understand it, forgive it. Then let it go." Getting there, GhostHawk. It's the letting go that's hard. I put it down, only to discover I've picked it back up again - hence my current questions about the depth of my faith.
    After initial salvation comes a life time of growing in God's Grace. There will be peaks and valleys in our faith journey. There will be success and there will be failure. We just keep on moving forward and pressing on to the full glory that is in Christ Jesus. Best of all, God will be with us every step of he way, through the peaks and especially in the valleys. Just relax and enjoy the journey. The end will come soon enough and we will be with Jesus and all the Saints.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

in Remebrance
    To put it simply: "He has shown thee, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of thee, but to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God." Or to put it another way: "Be still, and know that I am God."
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    histed, there's been a lot of good stuff pitched so far, but the "let go" comment made my ears perk up. You see it was many years before I learned that one! I heard, let go and let God, so I would, then God didn't fix it fast enough, or to please me, and I'd take it back. I'd fret over it, worry about it, manipulate, beg, and threaten to have it my way, then when it got too hot, heavy, or painful to bear, I'd pray about it then let God have it again.
    My point is that my faith has grown, not because I blindly believe, but because I exercise my faith! To me, faith is like a muscle, the more I exercise it, the stronger it gets. The secret for me has been learning to seek what God wants from me and for me. I ask him for that!
    Remember, you don't follow a blind faith in an unknowable god, you follow a God that had been revealed to us through his son Christ Jesus! God is revealed to man, and that same Jesus is our intercessior to this very day!

Anyone want their faith to grow? Then find a way to use it and it will get stronger!!

Boolit Grand Master

And how or why should I turn everything over to someone I don't know? The American Church has made the mistake of focusing on the theology of man rather than the theology of God - consequently we don't know God. Start studying the theology of God and it will become clear - start with J I Packer's Knowing God and then read some of the theologians he quotes in that book. I found I could download all 46 of Arthur Pink's writings to my kindle for $9.95! Study to show yourself approved - Paul's advice to Timothy applies to all of us.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 04-24-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelled 'theology'!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Exclamation

Here is a simple Faith exercise that someone can do if they can feel they're in a flat spot. Think back in your life to a point when somebody did something nice for you. Then send them a note or give them a call and just to say thank you and bless you for being there to help me.
    One time I reached back twenty years to a friend for helping me out when the clutch for my Harley came apart. He dropped everything on a Saturday and came out with a special tool and got me back on the road. It took him back to that day and appreciated the thought.

Another time there was a regret about something I did and I chance to repair or fix what happened. This can be more of a act of repentance and be very hard to do. I know that some things seem like they can't be corrected and somethings just can't but if it is in reach give it some consideration.
    Last edited by pmer; 04-20-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Wayne, thanks for the author. I will be reading this soon.
    Thunderstruck - Thank you for the thoughts. When we know that others have been there...and rl69, Char and the rest of you - I appreciate the help and the advice. Goatwhiskers, You're right. Can't hear the still, small voice if I'm making too much noise myself. Thanks to all of you.

Boolit Grand Master

Faith is a multifaceted thing - it is a gift of God - all my faith is from and through Him. It is something I need to practice, like a muscle I need to work to strengthen, it is something I need to use to trust, but God tells us to try Him and prove Him - so it is not an untested trust.

God's whole thrust throughout the Bible is for relationship - He wants a relationship with His people. We have been given the Holy Spirit to jump start and direct that relationship. It is a growing thing and requires our paying attention to the process to realize how He is working in our lives. If we do not realize this and recognize it, taking credit for what He does, we are disrespecting Him and not allowing ourselves to see God in our lives. When we recognize it we begin to see how active He is and all that He does, and faith becomes easier.

However, the more we allow God in our lives the more we experience the depth of the difference between Him and us - and thus the angst that many Christians feel as they grow. I need to accept my fundamental flaw to let go of my desire to be like Him - which is inherent in all of us. This is Paul's confession in Romans 7, which leads into Romans 8:1-3.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Scripture says that we walk by faith, not by sight. I've heard preachers and even read here that we need to "turn our lives over the Christ" - even said it myself. Got to admit that, though I've been a Christian for a long time, I haven't lived a consistent life and now, well, I'm just not sure what this really means. How do we walk by faith?

Answer: We walk by faith when we realize the uncertainties we face daily, but go forth with the faith that whatever befalls us, He will see us through it, and almost always, learn a worthy and valuable lesson in the doing of it. That's what it means to me, anyway.

Is this the "blank check" I've heard preachers refer to?

Answer: I don't believe it is. There is nothing we do that is inconsequential. Everything we do is linked together by our having done it, in whatever situation existed at the time for us to do it in. Everything has consequence, and as support for that contention, I'd point to Christ's saying even a butterfly doesn't fall without God's notice. That's my take on it, anyway.

If it is, how do you know if you've actually signed it?

Answer: When you KNOW, you just know. When you get weary, and let yourself doubt, even the tiniest bit, you become something less than sure. This is why firm belief is so crucial to living a Godly life. I know. I've done it both ways, and going with God is MUCH, MUCH better!

I try to live as I think God wants me to live... I'm just confused, I guess.

Answer: If you're confused, don't feel like you're the first, and you certainly won't be the last! We all have those times at some phase in our Christian growth. When we get to those points, we either firm up or faith, or we let it slide downhill. And I think all of us to a bit of both from time to time.

Becoming Christian doesn't make us an automatic angel. We don't "earn our wings" unless and until we've faced the Throne of Judgment, and been found acceptable. Until then, we all struggle between the Lord and our own will and humanity. I don't believe God ever expected any of us, not even one, to life a perfect life. Christ is the only entity to have EVER done that! But all of us can do better than in the past, and that may be the biggest "secret" of Christianity - that all we really can and need to do, and indeed, all we probably CAN do, is just keep trying to do a little better each day. After years and years of that, we CAN get pretty darned consistent, but none of us will EVER be "perfect," and we shouldn't expect ourselves to be. It just ain't in the cards, as long as we're stull humans on this side of the veil, and surrounded by evil at every turn. But even has NO power over us, if we just deny it our attention, and most particularly, our lust, etc.

Living a Godly life can never be achieved "perfectly," but all of us can do better each day. And one good way to start is realizing that NOBODY was ever born who was "predestined" to serve Satan. That's an elective choice we make. But in the end, we're all responsible for what we do with each day of our life, and God offers us forgiveness if only we'll ask for it, and repent from our evil ways. What greater gift could ever be bestowed on any of us?

James chapter two might be good place to look in regard to faith. James instructs about the short comings of appeasing some people at the expense of others, living by the golden rule of loving others as you love yourself and empty faith vs faith with deeds. Faith by itself (no deeds) or just professing God isn't really enough to attain Christ's mercy. But eventually in someone's "walk with Christ" they will become moved enough to begin to act in faith. The 4th B attitude "Blessed are those who show mercy for they will be given mercy" demonstrates acting in faith.

Without the mercy of Christ we are judged only by the Law. Mercy triumphs over the law.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

People don't have to look for faith or find faith for we are born with it. The infant in a parents arms does not think the parent will drop him/her. When we get out of bed in the morning we have faith the floor will bear out weight. We use faith hundreds of time each day, without recognizing it as such. When they say they have no faith, they are as wrong as wrong can be.

Having faith in God is not such a leap as we think. The problem is a child has that innate faith taken from them. As the git older they learn that people can lie to them. A bigger boy can hit and hurt them, and on and on. It is humans that diminish our faith.

So as it pertains to God, we have to recover that faith God gave us at birth. We have to learn that God does not lie to us, does not punish us and will never fail us. It is the nature of God to be loving and caring. That is easy for a child to believe, but much harder for a adult to believe.

Jesus had quite a bit to say about the child like quality of faith.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Excellent analogies, Char-Gar! Just because we don't THINK of the things we take for granted, doesn't mean they're not there. We just have to learn to re-appreciate them, and then, a lot of things begin to fall into place. I always love your explanations and examples. Thanks for all of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Posting a post like that in a thread like this is the very definition of trolling. They're having a perfectly pleasant thread; why interject contention?
    the question was about FAITH, the man merely stated his, absolutely no point in being rude to him!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast