Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk to me about faith

Moderator Emeritus

Understood, Char-Gar. And respected. My only point, really, is that flawed people are God's ONLY tools in this world. We're all flawed, for we've "all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Some of us, naturally, have sinned more and more seriously than some others, but sin is sin in God's eyes, and the "worst" sinner is now lower than, but equal to, those who sin less, but still sin. And all of Heaven rejoices when a new convert becomes part of the fold. We seem to be a bit more critical, typically, than the hosts of Heaven. Experience kind'a tends to help make us that way, but really, aren't we supposed to gladly receive the newer converts into the fold? Many churches and Christians seem to have a hard time doing that, and seem addicted to condemning as many people as possible, rather than showing the mercy and grace and love that Christ tried to teach us. Vindictive judgmentalism is everywhere these days, it seems, and that is NOT something Christ tried to teach us. It's something He warned us about.

So all I really meant was, that we really need to be VERY grateful that he's our president, now. I shudder to think about what we so very narrowly missed!!!!

Blackwater...Christians are never to be "judgmental" for sure. Judgment is a judicial act and therefore is God's and God's alone. He alone is the Judge and will Judge the world.

That said, as we go through life, we come up against all people who claim to be this, that or another and add Jesus or Christian to their resume. Just adding that bullet point in your resume, will make many, many Christians to back away from any negative thinking or comment about this. This is a bad mistake and a misunderstanding of how God would have us live life.

While we don't "judge" them, we are required to make some kind of assessment of their character, motives and actions. We see how they effect others and whether they cause people to be rise or fall. Jesus told us to be harmless as doves and wise as serpents. Christians have the dove part down real well, but not so much the wise as serpents part.

When Jewish Christians from Jerusalem dogged behind Paul on his church establish trips. They told the churches that Paul did not have it right. Believe in Jesus was one part of it, but the other part was the necessity to be circumcised and follow the Jewish law. Paul had no problem calling these people "mutilators of the flesh" and pronouncing anathema on them. Was this vindictive judgmental ism or is it just calling a spade a spade?

Like others, I am glad Trump won and Hillary did not. However, I am not ready to accept his "Believer in Jesus" resume bullet point, until I see some real personal piety and growth in grace, in his personal life. His political agenda, for the most part, is OK with me, but that does not indicate God's blessing on him. He has lived his life as a narcissistic pursuer of wealth, ego enhancement and women. When that changes, I will revisit his "Christian" bullet point. Until then I will believe that he was smart enough to know that the Christian vote was vital to his election. In this world, there are foxhole Christians, rice bowl Christians and Election Day Christians.

"Not everyone who calls upon me Lord, Lord will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who do the will of my Father will enter."...Mathews 7:20 and following.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-27-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Read Hebrews Chapter 11.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Understood, Char-Gar. And respected. My only point, really, is that flawed people are God's ONLY tools in this world. We're all flawed, for we've "all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Some of us, naturally, have sinned more and more seriously than some others, but sin is sin in God's eyes, and the "worst" sinner is now lower than, but equal to, those who sin less, but still sin. And all of Heaven rejoices when a new convert becomes part of the fold. We seem to be a bit more critical, typically, than the hosts of Heaven. Experience kind'a tends to help make us that way, but really, aren't we supposed to gladly receive the newer converts into the fold? Many churches and Christians seem to have a hard time doing that, and seem addicted to condemning as many people as possible, rather than showing the mercy and grace and love that Christ tried to teach us. Vindictive judgmentalism is everywhere these days, it seems, and that is NOT something Christ tried to teach us. It's something He warned us about.

So all I really meant was, that we really need to be VERY grateful that he's our president, now. I shudder to think about what we so very narrowly missed!!!!
    Your post reminds me that I think you are one of the very few Christians I have encountered who might just, possibly, maybe, get me re-examining my views on faith and religion in a more positive light (but don't hold your breath). This is because, as I see it, you are also one of the very few who's religion isn't blasted out with emotions that very many people would see as hatred of non believers and an 'or else' message. Vindictive judgmentalism indeed, reinforced by self righteous self satisfaction. A joy in being able to say "I'm saved, your not, burn in hell." So many fundamental Christians seem to be possessed of an almost savage joy in their condemnation of unbelievers. I never thought that the hatred I see in so many of that ilk was a naturally Christian characteristic.

I sincerely wish you well. Something I think I am able to say to you without you thinking that my good wishes might contaminate your spirituality somehow, unlike some others.

Boolit Master
    “Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ. If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today.“ Ganghi

I think this hits the nail on the head and drives it home! I've pondered this quote many times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123