Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about faith

Banned
    I have learned through many many trials and hard times that confusion and doubt is not a matter of attaining an answer for the problem. I have been in situations where I had to pray and pray and pray some more. You could say that I was trained to spend large amounts of time on my knees in prayer. There was a time in my life when life was so difficult and confusing and no one was on my side, that the only comfort I could find was in prayer. I believe that God brought me near to him that way. He cured my mental illness and taught me how to deal with the difficulties of life. To the point where I was able to help others out of the confusion of mental illness. So my advise would be to study the Bible, get a good understanding of the Word so that the Spirit of God can use it to minister to your heart, and Pray and pray. Wear God out with your petitions. Remember the widow who kept bothering the unjust judge until he gave in to her. And Jesus admonishing us to go to God with that approach.
    I guarantee that God will not forsake persistent prayer.
    The faith, comfort, spiritual healing, etc., all will follow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I stand by my post. What I said was factual, not rude.

Added: I apologize if my comment came across harshly. It's just frustrating to me that anymore nobody can have a friendly conversation without some anti interjecting negativity. For example, if I overheard some Muslims having a friendly conversation about some finer point of Islam, I would not butt in with a comment about my contrary religious views. That would just be rude and pointless.

Just the other day a coworker and I were talking about guns and a recent range visit, when someone else overheard and just had to make some comment about the evils of "assault weapons" and the NRA. If someone is having a friendly conversation about something you dislike, why not just leave them alone?
    gee, he didnt step in and say anybody else was wrong in their belief, he just stated his! why do people have to throw tantrums when their views are not exactly like someone elses?

Banned
    Very many years ago I was living in Malta. A quote, allegedly by the pope of the time, was doing the rounds to the effect that the pope would not visit Malta because there was too much religion and not enough faith. I do not this that such an opinion is confined to Malta.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    gee, he didnt step in and say anybody else was wrong in their belief, he just stated his! why do people have to throw tantrums when their views are not exactly like someone elses?
    OK you win. You're right, I'm wrong. I know better than to ever post on stuff like this and I've deleted my posts. My apologies all around. The post I took exception to was made by a well known atheist who likes to poke at those who don't share his enlightened views, and I took the post as just another poke. Clearly you saw it for what it actually was, just a humble statement of his personal faith. Again, apologies all around and I'll take my leave now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I have faith there is no god.
    Harry, would you mind if I watch at your last judgment? I think it would be amusing to see you debate God as to whether he exists or not.

Boolit Master

Careful, Traffer; don't take the bait like I did. I was reading an interesting and sincere discussion and was annoyed by what I perceived as a clear attempt to derail it.

My response was out of line primarily because it actually did derail the thread whereas the rest of you were wisely just ignoring it. For that I sincerely apologize.

Moderator Emeritus

Traffer, that's exactly how the Lord keeps us from straying! He lets bad things happen to good people BECAUSE without the hard times, they'd drift into sin and evil. It's just how we work, and the world around us. He knows what it'll take to keep us in the fold, or at least is most likely to. And He loves us enough to let us suffer if it's needed to keep us straight. What Love He truly has for us!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Traffer, that's exactly how the Lord keeps us from straying! He lets bad things happen to good people BECAUSE without the hard times, they'd drift into sin and evil. It's just how we work, and the world around us. He knows what it'll take to keep us in the fold, or at least is most likely to. And He loves us enough to let us suffer if it's needed to keep us straight. What Love He truly has for us!
    Blackwater, thank you for that encouragement. I completely agree. Perhaps one thing that I failed to emphasize is that the process of being brought near to God is about his love for us. I believe that he allows us to fail, become confused, suffer all kinds of trials and difficulties so we seek him. God desires the intimacy of prayer with us. Because of his jealous love. It is a difficult thing to pray the kind of prayers that avail us that intimacy. It is there where we find the comfort, the peace, the refuge of God's abiding presence.
    I do not think that there are many (even Christians) who have the disposition to strive for God's comfort when things get really bad like this. For me it took special circumstances where I had no one else to turn to. If I would have had friends to turn to I would have have turned to them for comfort and reassurance. But they abandoned me. Now looking back, I see that all this was for my benefit. God became my refuge. A place of indescribable peace and joy. It brought me to one of my now favorite passages of Scripture. "Being with you Lord, I desire nothing on Earth" (paraphrase of Psalm 73:25)
    I wish for everyone to be able to have this kind of comfort from God. There is a lot more world in us than we realize. We hang on to the world tenaciously. I counseled a young man one time who confided that he watched TV way too much, wasting his life. I advised him to keep track of how many hours he spent watching TV in one week, divide that number in half and then spend that much time in prayer and study. He went away sad and others accused me of being too dramatic in my suggestion. (I would now agree with them but that is another long discussion in itself) I am citing that to demonstrate how hard it is for us to turn our focus to the Lord from the never ending enticements and challenges of this world.
    With this said, I believe there are some who rightly understand the heart of Christ and make the connection to the heart of God through the experience of the love shown to us on the cross. But this is how the path developed for me. For me, having suffered the confusion of mental illness and then to come to a place where it just dissipated in the presence and comfort of God was life changing. My psychiatrist (an orthodox Jew) told me that if he could write a prescription for the cure to mental illness he would prescribe my lifestyle. One of the last times I visited him, (around 1991) he said this, "In my field there is not accepted that there is a cure for the kind of illness that you have had, but you and I both know that you are cured". I haven't needed any kind of medication or doctor care since then. It was the end of over 20 years of medication for mental illness.

"Do not seek to understand so you can believe, but believe so you can understand."

Agustine of Hippo
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Some people turn to God in bad times and others turn away. Some people are steadfast when everything is going well while others stray. The mature Christian serves God in all situations.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about that. I see a bunch of "mature" Christians following a leader who has never repented for anything in his life, who's only goal in life is to covet, values money above all else, cannot tell a truth from a lie, has repeatedly been shown to value women as nothing more than play things to be bought, has supported abortion for the greatest part of his life and mocks those less fortunate than himself.

I think the latest poll is that 80 percent of Christians look to this man in adoration and is considered a savior to our country.

I think walking in the footsteps of Christ involves trying to be the most righteous human being you can possibly be. I think it involves knowing when you do wrong and sincerely trying to put an end to that particular behavior. Every time I have done something against God, I knew I was doing wrong before I did it. I think walking with Christ involves being aware of our natural tendencies to sin and trying to halt the behavior before we either enjoy it's sinful nature or pretend as if it is not that big of a deal.

On the other hand, I have also done things that I did not know was evil until after I did that particular deed. In these instances, I try to learn from my mistakes. I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging our own individual self defeating behavior in the eyes of our creator.
    Last edited by birch; 05-18-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I don't know why people have such trouble with faith. Many people believe in bitcoin, which has no substance at all. It is entirely a deeply and fervently held belief among a group of people.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I don't know about that. I see a bunch of "mature" Christians following a leader who has never repented for anything in his life, who's only goal in life is to covet, values money above all else, cannot tell a truth from a lie, has repeatedly been shown to value women as nothing more than play things to be bought, has supported abortion for the greatest part of his life and mocks those less fortunate than himself.

I think the latest poll is that 80 percent of Christians look to this man in adoration and is considered a savior to our country.

I think walking in the footsteps of Christ involves trying to be the most righteous human being you can possibly be. I think it involves knowing when you do wrong and sincerely trying to put an end to that particular behavior. Every time I have done something against God, I knew I was doing wrong before I did it. I think walking with Christ involves being aware of our natural tendencies to sin and trying to halt the behavior before we either enjoy it's sinful nature or pretend as if it is not that big of a deal.

On the other hand, I have also done things that I did not know was evil until after I did that particular deed. In these instances, I try to learn from my mistakes. I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging our own individual self defeating behavior in the eyes of our creator.
    The United States has a weird form of civil religion. Folks think that what is best (according to their views) for American society, must be God's plan. Many of the conservatives think this, as well as many of the Progressives.

The truth is, faith in Christ is above and beyond all human society. All societies and all people are subject to the same evaluation by the standards of Christ.

As far as the current occupant of the White House goes, while I agree with 80% of his policy, he himself is a slim ball. I hang out with allot of conservative Christians and they share the same view.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Some excellent comments here. I have always believed that a wonderful example of faith is the thief on the cross. He came to Christ very late but is assured of everlasting life. God Bless...

rick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Some people turn to God in bad times and others turn away. Some people are steadfast when everything is going well while others stray. The mature Christian serves God in all situations.
    That sounds like something one of Job's friends would have said to him. You remember Job: "There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    That sounds like something one of Job's friends would have said to him. You remember Job: "There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil."
    I sound like one of Job's comforters? I sure hope you aren't saying that because my post is based of biblical teaching. 3 examples:

Mature Christian:

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-13

Those who fall away in bad times:

"But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away." Matthew 13:21

Those who fall away in good times:

"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." Revelation 3:17

Look at Solomon. He was blessed with peace and prosperity during his reign, but he strayed

Moderator Emeritus

Gee whiz, Char Gar! You're kind'a tough on Trump, aren't you? I agree that he once WAS a slime ball. But some time back, he came to belief, and it surely looks a lot like he's trying to grow in faith and understanding. It's much harder for the rich to do that, I think, because they have so many concerns flying all about them daily. And now that Trump's our President, he's one of the most seriously and consequentially busy folks on planet earth. And I'm SO glad that God granted him the win in the recent election. Had Hillary gone in, we would ALL be in a whale of a mess right now!!! For many, many diverse reasons!!!!

Sometimes we Christians are a lil' too hard on our weaker/newer brethren who have a ways to go to mature in faith. We really ought'a be more circumspect about that. At least that's what I think, anyhow. Christ has been so merciful to me, I just figure I owe it to my fellow believers, whatever their stage of maturity in Christ. Sure keeps me humble! And I fail sometimes. But I keep correcting myself. One day, maybe I'll be able to do better?

Boolit Master
    Blackwater, don't you know that "the Lords army" is the only army in existence that shoots its wounded?

Gee whiz, Char Gar! You're kind'a tough on Trump, aren't you? I agree that he once WAS a slime ball. But some time back, he came to belief, and it surely looks a lot like he's trying to grow in faith and understanding. It's much harder for the rich to do that, I think, because they have so many concerns flying all about them daily. And now that Trump's our President, he's one of the most seriously and consequentially busy folks on planet earth. And I'm SO glad that God granted him the win in the recent election. Had Hillary gone in, we would ALL be in a whale of a mess right now!!! For many, many diverse reasons!!!!
    There is only claims and anecdotes about Trump's faith and any growth therein.

I have seen to many charlatans get rich as fake Christians, to take anybody's word for it. Perhaps he is and perhaps he is not. In the meanwhile, I am going to listen to Jesus's words in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7:16) "You will know them by their fruits."

As previously state, I support the majority of Trump's political agenda, but I don't have to make excuses for the man, in order to do that. I have spent many years as a "professional" Christian to take at face value the claims that people make or others make for them. I have seen to much falseness.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-26-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I will only say I believe the Lord is talking to him. Sometimes he listens and sometimes I am not so sure he does. But I think he is working in the right direction. Just like all the rest of us. One day at a time.

God Bless you President Trump. I'd not want that job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast