MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 4-20 Furnace Upgrade Kit

Lee 4-20 Furnace Upgrade Kit

Seen this before but am thinking about it now. Kinda pricey but has anyone tried it? I've got several brass HP molds that don't have a smooth bottom so using them without a rest is a pain. Does it work well? They have a piece that covers the slots on the rest that might be just what I need.

http://www.opennrg.com/product/lee-4...t-upgrade-kit/

http://www.opennrg.com/product/floating-shelf-plate/
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good for flat bottomed mold and yes it seems a bit pricey! NOE makes a mold guide for their RG up holds, but, seems only for the RCBS and Lyman mag 25.
    https://youtu.be/lQt1y4TiHRA

Boolit Master

that looks like just what the doctor ordered but thats more than I paid for the pot. as long as lee does not change their design you could put it on a new pot when your old one has bit the dust and keep going

Boolit Master
    Lee has a rest that slides over the front support and is held in.place by a thumb screw.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

New Pot? Even though I now use a 20 pounder My 10 pounder I started with is 30 years old.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Lee has a rest that slides over the front support and is held in.place by a thumb screw.
    Yeah it does not work with HP molds due to the pins and pin holders.

Boolit Master

I got both for my Pro-Melt. for some reason a bit cheaper than for the Lees.

love both of them. The shelf is great to take weight off my repaired (x2) shoulder.

lid holds in an amazing amount of heat

pricey?--some but it's part of the fun of my hobby so I'm happy with them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I succumbed and bought one. We'll see how good it is.

Boolit Master

I started out stacking 4"X6" pieces of 1/4" plywood under a inverted ingot mold. You slide the right number of pieces to get the level you need.
    I built a base with metal strips for the sides to hold the plywood pieces in place.
    Worked much better then the narrow bar rest that came with my RCBS Pro-Melt. But nothing is better than the rest that came with my LYMAN MAG-20. Best ever for their 4cav molds.
    That set-up doesn't seem to have enough openings in the plate for run-off.
    I've seen them for a couple years on ebay. I choose the NEW N.O.E. Mold rest to add to my Pro-Melt. No more plywood/ingot mold jury-rig anymore.
    I can't see paying as much for a mold rest as you'd pay for a cheap Lee pot.

Why would you need a lid. I've been putting a inverted ingot mold on top my electric pots for 43yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Seen this before but am thinking about it now. Kinda pricey but has anyone tried it? I've got several brass HP molds that don't have a smooth bottom so using them without a rest is a pain. Does it work well? They have a piece that covers the slots on the rest that might be just what I need.

http://www.opennrg.com/product/lee-4...t-upgrade-kit/

http://www.opennrg.com/product/floating-shelf-plate/
    I have that for my Lee.
    Works great.
    A piece of sheet metal can cover the slots when using moulds with bottom screws.
    Make sure everything is adjusted before you turn on the heat. Those aluminum knobs get real hot.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have one for a ProMelt, it is worth every penny. I have some 8 cavity H&G molds and that shelf extends my casting time with those monsters.

That kit arrived and I installed it today. Pretty nice kit even for the price. Much nicer being able to set the heavy molds on the flat plate and resting the mold on the cover when it heated up resulted in keepers from the start. Now I just have to figure out where I want to drill a hole for my thermometer.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Gee I could crank one of those out of my scrap bin in my machine shop. But why? My 2 Lee’s work just fine the way they are (no drips, no runs, no errors) and I use an electric hot plate to preheat my molds and ingots.

Boolit Master
    I think the price is reasonable. I sure wouldn't buy materials, machine and ship all that for $80.