WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: What lube for putting on gas check before powder coating?

Boolit Bub

What lube for putting on gas check before powder coating?

I use the "shake and bake" method for powder coating. One of the molds I'm using has a tight shank, making it really hard to put on the check after coating. I'm going to check them before coating but what do I use as lube or do I need lube? I thought of just barely crimping them on with the .312 sizer, powder coat, then finish them off with the .309 after coating. I'm looking for a method where I don't have to clean the lube off the bullets before powder coating. Any sound advice, from someone that's been on this road would be great.

Boolit Master

I always check before coating, sometimes depending on sizer and boolit it works without lube but sometimes it’s too tight so I use some Hornady unique case lube , just put a little on the finger and rub it on the mouth of sizer die, wipes off with rag.

Boolit Master

Is the gc shank so big that you rally can't get a gc to 'snap on by tapping it on your bench? if yeas, I'd put a little superfine polishing compound on a lead GC boolit that came out of that mold, and then chuck it into a drill press/vise setup, and polish that mold a hair.

For lube, I'd use something thin ( thin oil ) that you could then rinse off with naptha, acetone or laquer thinner via bath dip n dump.

Banned
    HiTek makes a boolit sizing lube for hitek coating that might work for PC.

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings....qua-lube-5000/

You could try this
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4259141

Boolit Buddy
    I do not use a lube to crimp gas check in place. I castseat crip gc in place and then pc and then spray lube before final sizingas long as I am only sizing one to two thou I have not had a problem more than that be prepared to drill center of bulletout. I have used a small amount of spray anolin and, just takes more shakinng to get a good coat but doesn’t seem to hurt adhesion, still passed hammer test fine.

Had same problem.Now I've only tried this once ,but just slipped the GC on by hand and tapped the base on the table.Dropped them in the powder bucket and shook.Not a single GC came off.Sized as usual after the PC

Never applied a gas checked before powder coating, I've always coated my bullet first using Smokes or Eastwood powders and gas check when sizing. I've had one on occasion that was a tight fit but other than that they seem to go on fairly easy without much fuss.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    The ones I have for my .25-20 works wonderful........the one for my .225 bullets, NOT SO MUCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I use Hornady unique lube, very easy to clean up and works great

I have molds where the shank is too small for the check after bullet is powder coated.

So I install check, powder coat and size to final dimension.

No lube needed, I use Lee push through sizing dies.

Boolit Man
    I use a bit of dishwashing soap and water. Rinses off easily.

Boolit Master

I would be hesitant to use any oil based lube as the PC doesn't do well when it comes in contact with oil
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I allways check before coating and have never used lube. Doing it that way makes it much easier to final size after baking. Many gas checked bullets i have are tough enough to get a gas check seated. It would be about impossible with those molds to do it after so i just got in the habbit of allways checking first

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Nothing oil-based if at all! I NEVER lube to put on a check. If a good whack with a hammer will not get it to pop on. Look for another brand of checks. I use only commercial Hornady Cu checks. NOT aluminum!

Anything you use as a lube will still be "up in there" even if you try REAL hard and clean it off. And the heat from the bake will drive it out and prevent a good PC bond around the base and up the boolit.

I have only one mold that gives me a small GC shank, so I PC 1st and the GC. Again NEVER any lube!!

Just don't lube for applying GC's. Problem solved.

Do what you need to do, but I do not recommend ANY oil or lube on a boolit if you are going to PC it. Been down that road TOO MANY TIMES!

Boolit Master

I've found a 25-06 lee fcd will squeeze down the gas check shank to the perfect size to put on a gas check. This works for 30 caliber, 7mm and 270/6.8.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Not long ago I saw something about using a Lee case crimp die to put on gas checks. No need for lube that way.

Boolit Buddy
    I know the molds are made for using gas checks, but is it necessary to use them with PC boolits. Just wondering?
    WW