RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: CLOSED - Mihec 311410 Rerun - .311, .312, .313, or .314 Blackout/other

In Remembrance

I would suggest casting with straight wheel weight alloy. Anything else would be too soft. You can also "water drop" the wheel weight castings to speed up the "age hardening".
    There are posts in this thread regarding the overall length to assemble them to. I suggest that you carefully learn from those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleotto View Post
    Has anyone working on 300 Blk with this gotten any results they care to share? I am hoping to get some cast this weekend and start load development after a little aging. I would appreciate any updates.
    Thanks.
    Do I need to I can start a new thread for this question?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks DukeInFlorida,
    I have been reading all that I can find on this mold with 300 blk. I do plan on powder coating and gas checking.
    I have seen very little range tests and accuracy reports and was hoping someone has found some usable loads.
    Thanks again to you and everyone else.

Thanks DukeInFlorida,
    I have been reading all that I can find on this mold with 300 blk. I do plan on powder coating and gas checking.
    I have seen very little range tests and accuracy reports and was hoping someone has found some usable loads.
    Thanks again to you and everyone else.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Mostly subsonic but you will see you can use very soft lead with GC. Accuracy was nice. Very versatile light varmint/roe deer bullet

Poslano z mojega LM-X210 z uporabo Tapatalk

Thank Gamsek, you are the only one I have really seen post much with this combination, at least that I could find. I do plan to shoot supersonic though. I may make a separate thread for this topic. I hope the weather in Al works out this weekend so I can try this out!

Thank Gamsek, you are the only one I have really seen post much with this combination, at least that I could find. I do plan to shoot supersonic though. I may make a separate thread for this topic. I hope the weather in Al works out this weekend so I can try this out!
    Keep us posted! I too plan to move into supersonic area this summer with N120 and D060, I will use pure lead with 5%tin and copper GC, short pin. Will try to hunt with those.

In Remembrance

Powder coating isn't as successful as epoxy coating (Hi Tek). However, either type of coating will not benefit from the use of a gas check. To gas check either a powder coated or Hi Tek epoxy coated bullet would require installing the gas check first, and then applying the coating over the gas check. Counter productive in my book.

Basically, the gas check provides somewhat of a piston ring action. It serves to provide some error correction for alloy hardness, sizing, and lube. That's all negated when you coat a bullet. The coating provides the lube, slight oversizing, and fixes any issue with hardness of the alloy.

You might benefit from reading the areas relating to alloy hardness, sizing, lube, and gas checks in Glenn Fryxell's Book, "From Ingot to Target, A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners"
    It's free, and here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-Handgunners

Glenn might want to update that book with details on coatings, such as powder coatings and epoxy coatings.

In my own tests with both coatings, the powder coats were too hard and crispy, causing bullets to strip the coatings while using an inertia bullet puller to remove the bullets from crimped cases. While the two part epoxy coated bullets (Hi Tek) allowed the coating to remain firmly on the bullet through the inertia bullet pulling process. The difference didn't appear through the normal test, smashing with a hammer. Hammering isn't part of the normal firing process, while the inertia bullet pulling simulates firing theb bullets from a cartridge. So, in my humble opinion, if you are going to coat a bullet, the Hi Tek epoxy coating is the only one to use, and can be done at home. But using a coating negates the need to use a gas check, even on rifle bullets. I prefer the old method of using a proper bees wax type lube on properly alloyed and sized cast bullets, with a gas check installed. No coatings for me.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

The best simulation of shooting a polyester coated (powder coated) cast bullet is to - actually shoot it.

PC before GC or GC/size before PC - they both work. Use good (Eastwood, Smoke4320’s powders) that gives you smooth thin polyester coating and follow instructions how to apply, bake. Size accordingly to what works best, for my 311410 and R.Ranch it was 0.311”.

Maybe they don’t survive pulling them out of case, but my coated 311410 definitely survived 16” of Ruger’s Ranch barrel and 12” of wet paper.

DukeInFlorida,
    Those are good reads indeed. Read them a while ago along with all of the LASC articles. I almost pursued a minor in Materials Engineering because of it. I have tried Hi-Tek along with several powder coats, I like Smoke420's PC. I have some expanded 9mm from another MP mold that have retained all of the coating (like Gamsek's 311410s). I plan on trying this 311410 with and without gas checks. I think the gas check may help in catching the rifling. We will see if there are any differences. It would be neat if this mold had PB and GC bases in the same mold.

In Remembrance

Would be too expensive to make that way.

DukeInFlorida,
    It would be neat if this mold had PB and GC bases in the same mold.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    I would think you could have someone mill out the GC on a couple of cavities.

I plan on trying this 311410 with and without gas checks. I think the gas check may help in catching the rifling. We will see if there are any differences. It would be neat if this mold had PB and GC bases in the same mold.
    Try without GC, I got decent groups (no load development, no ladder test...) at 80m with 4.5grs of TrailBoss without GC sized at .311” same day, same 4.5grs, same bullet with GC sized to 0.3095”, groups were 2x larger.

Exactly this one, deep HP, subsonic into wet paper, pure lead with 5% tin

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Would be too expensive to make that way.
    I am aware, just would be neat. I have watched Mihec's videos and realize it would not work well. Would be very time consuming.
    Gamsek, I am considering having one gc shank cut out. That would still leave 3 gc. If it shoots well I could always get another done.
    Also, your really making me want to get a TC barrel or bolt action for the 300 with those sub loads.

Got a chance to cast some yesterday and sorted them today. I went with one solid pin, two med. hp pins, and one deep pin. Powder coated a small batch then added a few gas checks afterwards. Those went on easily over the powdercoat. The upper right hand bag are lee 150 fn.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_122935-800x600.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	237245

For the powder coat, I use the piglet method of dry tumble with airsoft bbs. My PC is from smoke420. Here it is on one of these boolits after being pulled. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_131150-600x800.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	237247
    And also on some expanded mihec 9mm:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180830_221510-600x800.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	237248
    I plan on ordering more of his colors to test.

In order to not take up anymore space on this thread, I am starting a new one for this boolit specifically with 300 BLK.
    Can anyone comment if this should be done in group buy results, or one of the load subforums?

Thank you
    Last edited by eagleotto; 03-04-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Grammar

In Remembrance

I would suggest creating a new thread in the casting area, and then coming back to your post here, and providing a link to the new discussion.

In order to not take up anymore space on this thread, I am starting a new one for this boolit specifically with 300 BLK.
    Can anyone comment if this should be done in group buy results, or one of the load subforums?

Thank you

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011