Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefty shooting RH muzzleloaders?

Lefty shooting RH muzzleloaders?

I've done a search but hoped for more details from lefties who shoot RH side lock traditional or production clones like Lyman. I own a 54 Lefty flint Deerstalker but considering another PRB shooter for range fun. Experiences with perc and flint appreciated, thanks.

Boolit Master
    I am left handed and own and shoot two traditional cap lock rifles that are Right handed with no problems. A 54 Lyman and a .45 CVA. Both were kit guns and I took off the Rt. handed cheek piece.
    I have no experience with Flinters, but I think I would want a Left handed lock.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A few years ago, I had already shot smoothbore for score, and for fun went with a group of friends to shoot the course again. Being a bit of a smart ***, I shot the course left handed, and still beat the others scores! They are still whining about it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator

I am right handed, but now have to shoot lefty because of eye problems. I shoot a right handed percussion 54 Deerstalker with no issues at all. It was a re-adjustment for me, but I am comfortable with it now.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The only caution I can offer is to watch you thumb placement near the lock of a percussion rifle . It doesn't bleed when you get a cap fragment in the joint because it gets cauterized but it hurts like ........it's bad for several days . Of course safety glasses , because you should anyway , but you're face is exposed to the lock and vent trash that is shielded by the hammer , drum and lock design .

I was a dedicated lefty , cross dominant , shooting right hand guns for most of my life . Now with a vision crash in the left eye I shoot both open and switch hit depending on demands , but mostly right hand .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Being left handed, I have shot many traditional percussion rifles for years that were right handed with no issues. As was previously mentioned, eye protection is a must! My flint rifle is left handed but I have shot a few right handed flint rifles just fine........with good glasses. My favorites though are the under hammers. They are for everyone!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a lefty,and all of my side locks,all flinters are righty rifles, except one which is a lefty. There are probably at least 5 or 6 of them. Never had a issue ,no flying residue, no distraction from pan flash, nothing at all. I guess it depends on the individual,me no problem.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I shoot lefty and never had a LH sidelock, eye protection is the same for everyone. about the only problem I have is an occasional wrist burn on the right arm holding the forearm. Those little nipple cup things help some with a caplock. I never cared much as its not too often I shoot in a T shirt. I figure it cant be too far off a double gun for anyone, there's always an off side there

I have a RH flintlock and I'm a Lefty too. The first time that flash in the pan goes off in front of your face can be a bit disconcerting. However, like any firearm....wear eye protection. Even so...it takes some getting used to having the flash just inches from your eyes.

Other than the need to get used to it...my shooting skills haven't suffered from shooting RH firearms.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Another RH guy, with a dominate left eye. I have 6, RH muzzleloaders, including 54 cal flinter. No problems at all.

Boolit Master
    I'm a hard core lefty and shoot right handed cap locks and flinters. With the cap locks I sometimes get a flash from the caps on my right wrist. Learned real quick not to wear a wrist watch on my right arm and during period correct shoots I wear a worn out long shirt.
    With both flinters and cap locks I wear good glasses and a baseball cap pulled way down so most of my forehead and eyebrows are protected. The cap actually touches the top of the shooting glasses and not much can get through. I have a beat up felt tri-corner hat that I use for period correct shooting and wear it down low like I do with the ball cap.
    Once you get used to it it's no big deal although I've come home from the range with a little black powder residue on the side of my face. LOL

Boolit Man
    I'm not a lefty, but my father is cross dominant. Of all the rifles he owns, the only one he bothered to buy in a left hand model is his 54cal Cabela's Hawken. I don't think I'd want those caps (especially not a flintlock) going off by my face even with good glasses. Why not just buy a LH model? I just saw Track of the Wolf started shipping Lyman rifles again (I guess production is back up after the recall) and they have some LH Great Plains rifles in stock.

In Remembrance
    Lefty here too. Early on, I owned and shot right hand cap and flint rifles. As stated before, eye (and ear) protection is a must. Also, watch your hand/arm position. The pan flash can give you a nice black powder "tattoo" on your right fore arm if you don't hold your arm low enough. I pretty much have a nice stable of left hand flinters now.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Bub
    My brother is a lefty who shoots RH locks, from experience, his advice?... don't grow a beard.

Boolit Master

I am a right handed shooter who has not shaved since December 20 of 1969. I shoot a right handed flint rifle, right flint trade gun and then there is the 13 ga flint double shotgun. I do use and have always used eye protection with all muzzle loading guns. I have never noticed the flash from the left hand lock.
    I can tell you that shooting a double cap lock on a hot day, the cap fragments from the left lock will eat your left wrist
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    I am a right handed shooter who has not shaved since December 20 of 1969. I shoot a right handed flint rifle, right flint trade gun and then there is the 13 ga flint double shotgun. I do use and have always used eye protection with all muzzle loading guns. I have never noticed the flash from the left hand lock.
    I can tell you that shooting a double cap lock on a hot day, the cap fragments from the left lock will eat your left wrist
    Pictures of your beard or it didn't happen!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm a right handed shooter - BUT - due to loosing most of the central vision in my right eye due to diabetic retinopathy and laser treatments many years ago, I was forced to start shooting left handed. I have owned one left handed traditional style cap lock rifle in the 50 years I've been shooting. All the rest of them have been and are "right hand" firearms - flint/percussion. I have had no issues with shooting a right hand rifle left handed. And, I've had a beard for over forty years and it hasn't been an issue for me with the facial hair.

When I started with the eye problems and had to switch the way I was shooting to "left handed" - I picked up one of the under hammer H & A copies that Deer Creek was making at the4 time. It's ideal for either handed shooting and I still enjoy shooting that rifle - even added another H & A under hammer to the herd. The Deer Creek rifle was in .36 and the H & A is in .45. I have a nice older .50 cal barrel that I'll be fitting to the H & A this summer so I can switch out barrels and calibers on that one.

My guess that for lefties, it might "feel awkward" when loading the rifle when it comes to priming or capping - I still do it "right handed" method but it's no biggie.

Boolit Grand Master

As long as you are wearing appropriate clothes to keep cap flash off your forearm makes no difference. I am too lazy to build the lefty rifle I need now that my eyes went, so I just shoot rh rifles lefty.

Thank you all. After reading the above shared info I would consider RH rifles and know they are safe. To answer some questions I'm Canadian and left hand muzzleloaders aren't common. My Deerstalker flintlock lefty came from the USA. Flintlock long guns are not considered firearms under our gun laws so there are no border restrictions. Unbelievably flintlock pistols are considered restricted firearms in the same class as a 1911. With all the changes I no longer wish to bother with cross border gun purchases if at all possible.

I think I'll wait awhile and do some more research regarding finding a LH PRB flint or percussion in 45 or 50 cal. The slow twist Lyman GPR is a good candidate. One thing surprised me a bit. I did not know that percussion rifles can spit so much junk! When the time comes to purchase I will consider RH percussion rifles as well.

One other consideration from this thread was underhammer rifles. They are intriguing and I'll do some serious searching regarding them.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I am a RH shooter but I have a lefty percussion (Lyman GPH). I have also fired many RH muzzle loaders, flint and percussion.

I have noticed no difference with the LH action other than reaching over to cap and cock the hammer. Both RH and LH actions will put flash in your face. Never had any problems with forearm position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast