Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready to try powder coating again- looking for the best powder

Boolit Master
    I switched from HF red, which I believe is epoxy based, to a polyester based gloss black. Man are they purty. Still stand them on end one at a time. The polyester based paint only requires 350 degrees for about 15 minutes to cure. Very happy with the outcome on the pistol boolits. I don't have the patience for rifle boolits. I tried that once and decided that it wasn't for me.

Boolit Master
    I’m not sure what you mean… what would the extra patients be necessary for regarding rifle boolits?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Because it's much harder to move a tray of standing rifle boolits. I have to tumble or spray the rifle boolits and them move them one at a time to a waiting tray that is already in the oven and stand them on it. I can load my pistol trays outside the oven and then move it, but it's a game of dominos if I try to move the tall skinnies.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

all ive used is smokes powders. Never seen a reason to try something else. Ive used black and brown. both work fine. Brown seems to give a bit more consistent coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Because it's much harder to move a tray of standing rifle boolits. I have to tumble or spray the rifle boolits and them move them one at a time to a waiting tray that is already in the oven and stand them on it. I can load my pistol trays outside the oven and then move it, but it's a game of dominos if I try to move the tall skinnies.
    Now I know I have been told I am fooling but here is a simple way to do the rifle bullets, it even protects the gas check base..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 041.jpg  
    Last edited by Pressman; 04-19-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen a fella or two before that made a tray like that and it worked great. I'm just a little lazy for that. But yes, a dedicated boolit holder for each one is definitely a good idea.
    There are no wrong ideas about powdercoating. Everybody does it differently. Most get slightly different results. It's up to the person to decide if it's something they can't live with, before it's a wrong idea. Nobody is full of anything here but different ideas.

Beagle - just try it on a hot plate. Cheap gloss ceramic tile on H.P. and stand the boolits on the tile. No moving needed.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing that MyFlatline. It really is a labor of love, and a lot of our creations are like artwork. I find the more time and attention I pay to each boolits details, the slower I shoot them, which is a good thing.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to test that out Popper. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Thanks for sharing that MyFlatline. It really is a labor of love, and a lot of our creations are like artwork. I find the more time and attention I pay to each boolits details, the slower I shoot them, which is a good thing.
    Not me, I want to shoot em up and make more and try and make them better than the last one's. I enjoy the casting and coating almost as much as the shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    I like Eastwood and Smokes is good also. I use a bunch of PPG. Never tried the cheap stuff

Boolit Master
    Hey myflatline, do you shoot at Hernando Sportsman Club?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Hey myflatline, do you shoot at Hernando Sportsman Club?
    No, we have a private range up in Levy county, can only get to 150 yards tho.

For the rifle boolits, I fold a double layer of non-stick aluminum foil into a tight accordion pattern which makes long shallow troughs. The double layer of foil is to make it more rigid. Then simply lay the coated boolits in the valleys beak to butt and bake. No juggling, no sticking, and they come out fine.

Hey Murph those are some beautiful boolits! Thanks for sharing your process with me. Now that I’ve got more of my family interested in shooting, I’m looking for a quick and easy way to make lots of bullets. I’m sure at times I’ll be taking extra time to stand them up and put them on parchment paper or non stick foil when I want a batch of perfect boolits for me to do my best with at the range.

When I tried powder coating a long time ago, I stood them up but experienced some powder flashing on the bases. Of course, back then I was using harbor freight red and maybe the higher quality powder helps with that. Have you had any issues with that happening?
    I have not had any issues on the bases of powder coated boolits, but remember this- boolits are going to get their behinds roasted by hot powder gasses anyway. If you are referring to some excess powder collecting on the very bottom of the base, I would think that the powder is not sufficiently adhered to the boolit if that is happening. I use a plastic butter tub with the number "5" in a triangle(very important) to shake my boolits and add a few tablespoons of 6mm airsoft BB's (WalMart sprtng goods dept) to help with the coating process. You only need about 3 teaspoons of Smokes powder for 40 or so boolits. Non stick aluminum foil is a definite advantage and Smokes powder will make the whole gig easier. Believe that, because I tried the Harbor Freight stuff and there is no comparison!
    Last edited by murf205; 04-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Cool

Beagle, that give me a whole new perspective for the poor engineers who are responsible for moving a huge missile to the launch pad!!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I came back to PC for my 50 Beowulf (possible issues with lube in gas tube).
    Tried Smokes clear (not so big on colored boolets - call me old fashioned lol).
    Best covering I have ever tried, 10 sec swirl in the bb's, all slugs look like powered sugar donuts, stick well when standing up with needle nose pliers, come out looking like shiny lead slugs. Was pretty humid one day - didn't seem to matter at all.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12