Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 300 miles and nearly every environment/weather.

Boolit Master

300 miles and nearly every environment/weather.

Took my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids from the very Eastern edge of Washington state to SEA-TAC airport on the Western edge of the state yesterday, then my dad and I drove back today.

This is what I love about living in this area; there is nearly every imaginable terrain and climate you could possibly want within a day's drive.

I was struck by just how varied the environments were that I was passing through on the way home.

I started off in dense coastal woods with moss and ferns at my son's house. It was raining and 47 degrees. Then as I headed East 20 miles, I went up in elevation and was in jagged mountains with towering pine forests and waterfalls...

Attachment 218627

In another 20 miles I was in the mountain pass with a blizzard and 30 degrees with feet of snow on the ground...

Attachment 218628

After I left the mountains, in another 70 miles I was at the Columbia River Basin surrounded by sagebrush and sand...

Attachment 218629

Twenty miles later I was in farmland...

Attachment 218630

Boolit Master

Then I was in wine country with vineyards everywhere, then high desert sagebrush and flat land as far as the eye can see...

Attachment 218631

Finally I was back home on the Palouse with rolling wheatfields on the edge of the mountains of Idaho.

I know there are a few other areas of the country with such varied terrain, but not many...

Shhhhh, don't let the secret out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Shhhhh, don't let the secret out.

I think it's too late for the West side, anyway...

My son is renting a home in Kirkland with three other roommates. It's a 4-bedroom split-level built in the 70's and not touched since. It needs an easy $100k worth of updates and repairs done. The owners put it on the market and got offers OVER their asking price of $670k. Crazy. It rained the entire time I was there and it was bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.

I don't know how people do it.

when I worked on a tractor trailer I was in Washington state and like in your pictures I saw some of the most beautiful land that God has ever made D Crockett

Washington is pretty awesome terrain wise, but it sucks over here on the west side with all the overpopulation. I love it when I get over to the palouse valley near idaho45guy to visit my brother.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    Washington is pretty awesome terrain wise, but it sucks over here on the west side with all the overpopulation. I love it when I get over to the palouse valley near idaho45guy to visit my brother.
    The Moscow, Lewiston, Kamiah area is very pretty...

Boolit Buddy
    One should read "Snowbound", "Glacial Lake Missoula" etc. The first takes place up the Lochsa. Pretty populated these days! The second tells a bit of the geology of how some of the features were formed. Interesting reading and 'history'!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    One should read "Snowbound", "Glacial Lake Missoula" etc. The first takes place up the Lochsa. Pretty populated these days! The second tells a bit of the geology of how some of the features were formed. Interesting reading and 'history'!
    Had a Bigfoot encounter at Colgate hot springs next to the Lochsa river...

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Had a Bigfoot encounter at Colgate hot springs next to the Lochsa river...
    There are some 'squatches over in the Selway too. JW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    There are some 'squatches over in the Selway too. JW
    I was up near you the other day. Went to the Crossler place on Four Mile Road to look at an old camper he was selling. Camper was too big and in too bad of shape for the $500 he wanted.

But he had a `57 International Harvester 4x4 pickup that he was trying to get rid of that was tempting. Love the looks and this one would be beautiful restored, but trying to save money and restoring a 50's pickup is the opposite of saving money...

Attachment 218770

Thanks for the tip!!! I may have to swing by and talk to him. That binder would almost fit in with my collection of Fords. JW

Banned
    Having spent some time with old International Harvester products, my advice would be to RUN, don't walk, away from any old International product !

Boolit Master
    Friend is in Washington. I would like to take a trip at the end of the year and check it out. Sounds nice.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Great photos to show the differences and it is all BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing! I've never been up there but it sure looks great. That's what I find interesting here where we winter in Arizona. We're in the south - desert with mountains to frame it in - traveling north, the elevations change and so doe the vegetation - a different type of scenery from what you show but still beautiful. Sounds like you had a good trip and it must have been fun to share it with your family being together along the way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Thanks for the tip!!! I may have to swing by and talk to him. That binder would almost fit in with my collection of Fords. JW
    What Fords do you have?

I bought my grandpa's 1966 F100 in 1991 for $100 and did some work on it and hot-rodded it like a silly kid. Had the 352, 4spd, and 4:11 gears. Loved that truck! My ex convinced me to sell it in Iowa in `98 for $800 after a cold snap cracked the block.

Attachment 218846

The car I owned when I met my ex-wife was also a Ford; a 1970 Torino GT Sportsroof. Would love to find another one of those for a reasonable price...

Attachment 218847

'69, '71, and '72 F100's. All projects. The '69 is in the best shape, it is a candidate for a full restoration. The '71 is fairly straight but cab mounts are rotted away so it is pretty much junk but it does have my favorite engine so I will keep that. The '72 is actually pretty decent, and is now for sale. It has 360 and C6, nice straight solid pick-up. JW