Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another phone and computer scam

Boolit Master

Another phone and computer scam

Wife came into the everything room and told me that a phone call left a message say something like Your Windows license has been suspended. This is an emergency call to notify you that the windows license and all programs has been suspended. Here comes the hook To get your license reinstated call 855... I didn't get the rest of the numbers but they were a bunch of 5s and 4s. The 855 number is a toll free area code. This seems to be a revival of the scam that came out of India several months ago that a bunch, 70 or more, were arrested. So be careful out there.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

There is always a shyster out to pinch profits from the uninformed.
    Thanks for the warning.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I get calls from "microsoft tech support" quite often, always a non-english speaking person. the last time I was not very nice to them

Boolit Grand Master

I keep getting telephone calls from Angola, La. ....that's where the men's State Prison is located.I know about their scams.
    The other day got a call from St. Gabriel , La. ...that's where the women's State Prison is located !
    I didn't answer either one nor did they care to leave a message.
    Caller I,D. is the one piece of technology I do enjoy and approve of...If I don't know your # I'm not answering the phone....leave a message.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Microsoft will never call you about a problem.I used to get the India based computer calls a few years ago.I just told the caller I don't even own a computer so what kind of problem could I have.I recently got a call from India about computer problems so they never give up.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ignore all that stuff from "Microsoft". They, like the IRS, do NOT call you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get 3-4 of those a week on my office lines.

If you want to have some fun, tell them you are running Win 2.2 and it still works!!!!!

Also for carpet cleaning calls..................tell them you have dirt floors. And for window estimates.......you live in a cave.

banger

Boolit Master

My wife said the woman sounded like a whiskey and cigarette voice, real gravel like. She didn't sound like a foreigner.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've had a series of Michigan numbers calling about 2-3 times a week . I mostly ignored or refused the calls . " We have a special offer for you because you stayed in one of our resorts....."

I started answering with " hey I'm glad you called ! You are lucky caller 100 and we have a spe.......... Hello .......hello " huh , look at that they hung up , again .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I had one the other day from a guy who said he could help me with my pain medication and he asked me where my pain was. I told him in my butt because these calls were a pain in the a**.
    I was telling a friend about it and he told me he got the same call and gave the same response.

Banned
    Got one from medicare. This is medicare and you are not covered. I asked if this was a government agency and they hung up.

Vendor Sponsor

But! But! I been a Linux user for years! What license? Huhhhhh??? Click. Hey where'd you go this was about to be fun!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

We've been getting calls that the caller ID shows as a local number. I answered the first one thinking it was a neighbor. They started the spiel about credit card something or other and I hung up. We are a small town in a small county and I couldn't see how they could be local.

I called the phone company(a small company) and they said this is the latest thing. Somehow the scammers can show a local number even though they are a long distance away. This has made us very careful about answering any call that we don't recognize the ID.

BTW. We bought a new cordless phone system a couple of months ago that has a feature that allows us to block unwanted numbers. I've started writing down the numbers that I have blocked to see if it works. Not sure I would know unless one of those numbers manages to get thru.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you want to have some fun, tell them you are running Win 2.2 and it still works!!!!!
    banger
    but , but, but i AM still running win2.2!

are you makin' fun of me Jim?

Boolit Master
    When I get those kinda scams I just say, "hold on let me get my checkbook." Then hang up.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    I get 15 a week or so ............ wonder if my phone has a limit on blocked numbers

They get mighty angry when you keep them on the line for a few minutes then reveal you don't own microsoft products and you've enjoyed wasting their time.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Got one just a few minutes ago from "Microsoft". A local number with a horrible thick India accent! Told him I still used a kerosene powered abacus and iron gall ink on parchment that still worked just fine..............and he hung up REAL FAST!

banger

Moderator Emeritus

Got one today about back braces... told the caller to stick a grenade where the sun dosn't shine and pull the pin. For some reason they hung up on me LMAO

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPanda View Post
    They get mighty angry when you keep them on the line for a few minutes then reveal you don't own microsoft products and you've enjoyed wasting their time.
    My record is 45 minutes... Somehow I finally work into the conversation that I don't own a PC.. only a Mac, and it doesn't seem to have any Windows applications. Other times I've used the "No, this time let ME be Raji and YOU be Rufus... so, Rufus, what's your bank number?" Another fun one is "OK, JimBob, what's a naughty boy like you wearing?" They have no sense of humor.

you guys are great. I get these kind of calls only they tick me off some kind of bad. think I need to start having some fun with them. thank you for the idea D Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast