RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: I am officialy a ar15 dumb ___

Banned

I am officialy a ar15 dumb ___

About 3 weeks ago I put together a 4.5 inch AR 9mm pistol. I got the glock lower from palmetto but they were out of uppers so I found one on Delta team tactical. I ordered there upper, a upgraded bolt and an upgraded charging handle. Got it put together and thought the bolt looked odd as you could see the firing pin. First day out the charging handle fell apart and the spring and latch went flying. So I grabbed a standard one out of the parts bin. I probably shot 500 rounds out of the gun and usually once or twice every mag id get either a case stuck in the ejector port or one left in the chamber. I noticed the "UPGRADED" bolt was rough and had chatter marks on it and it rubbed hard and gouged the ejector bar. So over the next few days I shot it and filed and polished the bolt and ejector bar till it didn't rub anymore. It was more reliable after that but still wasn't a 100 percent. I had the cheap clear mags so I figured maybe that was the problem so I found a couple glock mags and figured that would do it but it didn't help a thing. So I figured it was the bolt so I started researching another bolt. I went and looked at the company that made the bolt I had and I saw on it where it said it used AR15 extractors. When I got this thing I kind of shook my head because it didn't have an extractor. I figured maybe with blow back it wasn't nessisary. I got looking at my bolt and low and behold there was a hole for an extractor pin. I went in my parts bin and grabbed an extractor and it fit right in the bolt. I had been shooting the gun without an extractor? they had forgot to put one in it at the factory. I got ahold of Delta and told them they sent me a faulty charging handle and a bolt that was suppose to be a premium piece that was rough everywhere and didn't even have an extractor. They said if I wanted them replaced I had to send them back. I told them that I wasn't going to start all over with another crappy bolt and didn't want a charging handle that could fly apart. told them if they wanted to do right to send me a different charging handle. Well they told me to basically shove it. Its a 20 mile round trip to get to the PO and it just wasn't worth the hastle. Learned three things. A 9mm bolt has an extractor , premium doesn't mean premium and most importantly that delta team got the last penny I'm giving them. The real sad thing is palmetto didn't have them in stock so I bought it there because they said they did. It took me over a month to get it and that was even after a half a dozen emails asking where the heck it was. In that time palmetto had them in stock twice!! What is amazing is this little gun ran about 28-29 out of 30 times without even an extractor in it! I would have never guessed!! Sure reinforces my opinion of my gunsmithing skills too
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Glad you got it running; and By the way have you now found the clear glock magazines work? I have some and haven’t had any troubles with them yet, In a glock or psa 9.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 04-19-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Banned

ya they seem to work just fine and a guy can buy 4 of them for the price of one glock mag.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Glad you got it running; and Bebe you now found the clear glock magazines work? I have some and haven’t had any troubles with them yet, I’m a glock or psa 9.

Banned
    Lloyd,

You have more patience than I do. I would however contact the higher ups and get the parts they owe you to make it 100%.

Banned

there are no higher ups. the girl answering the phone is the wife of he owner of the business. they were willing to replace the bolt and charging handle if I sent them in. Not worth the price of shipping and a 10 mile trip to the post office. I just call it a life lesson. If they wanted my future business they would have taken care of it without a question. they wont get another penny from me and ill do my best to steer everyone that I can to stay away from there business.

Banned
    I went back and read your post again. I would contact them one last time and tell them they are responsible and owe you a charging handle. That is the very least they could do for shipping out a *** to you. If I were the responsible party I would credit your account for your time and trouble. I would let them know they are going to get a lot of negative exposure that is going to cost them sales. If they have any common sense they will make it right with you.

You are correct in keeping the bolt since you have it deburred and polished now. I think you should start a 9mm build thread that might help others in building their first 9mm. I for one am not up to selecting the correct parts for a 9mm build and I would like one.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Lloyd,

Thank you for posting this, I like to know who to stay away from and have almost ordered from them a couple of times,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I have also looked to them in the past, but not now. Thanks Lloyd. Btw I have had good luck with psa stuff, even if they do take forever to ship in stock items... But it's better than waiting on NFA tax stamps!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Another happy PSA customer;the very first time I ever ordered from them it took forever and ever,like I got my stuff and the Christmas gifts I bought from them in February. But everything was correct and worked,and the delivery time has improved some what and they make real decent stuff for the price;I’m very impressed at my best friends PSA10, it’s not quite a minute of angle
    Rifle but close and stays close to 600 and runs on everything even cast! And cost less than 800 delivered!

Banned

yup I have to say the psa stuff ive bought has exceeded my expectations at the price level its at. the first gun I put together from them was a flat top 16 in 556 and I had about 400 bucks into the whole thing and it put my entry level bushmaster and dpms ARs to shame that cost 200 bucks more.

Banned

I bought 9 of those clear mags, one factory Glock and 2 knock off glock mags. Went out yesterday will all 12 loaded with 29 rounds of handloads with 3 different bullets loaded from a plinking level 120 with 3 grains of redot to full power loads pushing plus p levels and it ate every one of them. So that was a bit over 300 rounds through the gun that already had probably another 300 through it since its been cleaned. No lube other then a dab of synthetic grease on the sear surface when I swapped out the springs for lighter ones. When I did that I had a couple miss fires with cci primers so I put the factory hammer spring back in and left the reduced trigger and disconnect spring. Never missed a beat since then and ran fine with the reduced hammer spring with the loads I used fed primers in. Now that its running a 100 percent I'm thinking seriously about a binary trigger for it. Just a bit nervous about plunking down 450 bucks on a trigger that the liberals might find a way to make illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Glad you got it running; and By the way have you now found the clear glock magazines work? I have some and haven’t had any troubles with them yet, In a glock or psa 9.

Boolit Master

Lloyd I want to say thank you; your struggles and info on these PCCs has been a great help and I’m finding these clear ETS “glock” mags are the real deal, for a third of the price so far they have run great.

Banned

ive got two smg tactical mags too. they seem to work just fine too and are a lot cheaper then the glock mags. A good option if you want a mag that looks like a stock black glock mag and have the round counter holes in them like the factory mags.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep seeing many new online "tactical" stores popping here and there but yet I keep going to PSA for most of my stuff (come on PSA sell some 80% lowers already
    I just ordered another ar15 kit about a week ago and it got here within days. There were few times they had long shipping times but still better then your average "tactical" online store and everything always works. I'm yet to have a problem with PSA.

My oldest daughter and I assembled our first ARS from uppers provided by Palmetto. We ordered the premium grade and received FN barrels which was a great bonus. You can pay more but I don't think you're going to get much better than Palmetto offers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MN 91-30.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	220243

Gunsmithing skills? Who needs gunsmithing skills?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I'm glad to see that others think that Palmetto sells good stuff. I bought uppers, BCG's and charging handles when I finally got around to assembling those stripped lowers that were a group buy here several years ago. The only reason I didn't use Palmetto LPK's was they didn't have any when I was ready to assemble. I finally ordered from Brownell's and finished the lowers.

I'm not really into AR's but if I were to assemble any more, I would not hesitate to go to Palmetto.
    John
    W.TN

Banned

well I take back what I said about the smg tactical mags. Both of them cracked from the brass hitting the lip of the mag while feeding. On one of them the feed rails were all bent too. Real soft metal they use. Tossed them in the trash.