Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading 325 WSM

Boolit Buddy

Reloading 325 WSM

I just picked a barely used Browning BLR Takedown in 325 Winchester short magnum. I wanted a lightweight rifle to snipe unsuspecting mountain goats and I figure this will do. I wanted the more common 300 WSM but this is what popped up at a good price. I already ordered a few boxes of jacketed bullets but I'm also picking a mold and gas checks to load plinking ammo.

So far everything I have loaded has been slow; 45-70 and 44spl +P (sub magnum for sure). Water dropped WW+4%tin with Ben's red has worked really well. The question I have is: how fast can I drive a gas checked boolit, and how hard must the alloy be? I figure I would like to practice with some loads similar to hunting loads but there is no point using expensive commercial bullets to kill paper or gongs.

Boolit Buddy
    Nobody here knows how fast you can drive a gas checked boolit?

I'll do the old trial and error but some pointers would be welcome. So far the intraweb has been contradicting itself a lot (surprise surprise). Again, this is for paper punching but because I would like to do distance I would like to keep the speed (and thus trajectory) similar to the way the actual hunting rounds are expected to behave.

Boolit Master

I am pushing them around 2050 +/- cartridge depending. These are bottle neck cases. Thats the limit of my alloy and skill and knowledge at this time.

I have seen and heard higher. Waco just pushed them to 2500 ish. Others have gone up to 2700 ish. But it takes some good skill and knowledge to get those velocities.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

You can push them as fast as jacketed, the real question is how fast can you push them accurately. Lots of factors play into that. Hardness, size, concentricity, barrel twist and your attention to detail as can boolit design.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not do some smokeless PP'ing? It's a fun journey and you can push them at jacketed velocities...as long as you do your part.
    Domari Nolo