Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Another happy DougGuy customer

Boolit Buddy

Another happy DougGuy customer

I sent off two barrels for DougGuy’s package. I have a SA 9mm 1911 and a CZ SP-01 that had tight chambers that plunked ~95% of my cast loads. I really just needed throat work but since he offered beveled crowns I thought, why not? Great handiwork, quick turnaround time and great communication. Now I can see why everyone else has been happy with his services.

I won’t have time for a while to try out the new barrels, but I’ll be sure to update when I do.

Boolit Master

Doug opened up a tight chamber-throated Model 629 for me. Outstanding work done by a craftsman!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    I feel like having DougGuy work on your stuff is a right of passage around here

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    I feel like having DougGuy work on your stuff is a right of passage around here
    LOL right of way for boolit passage!

Those are 20 degree crowns. I settled on that angle by viewing a slow motion video of a 1911 firing and at the moment the gases exited the muzzle, I stopped the video, and measured the angle of the gas cloud, and I got a NeWay carbide cutter for a Yamaha small engine valve seat that happened to be made on the same angle. To me, this is the optimum angle for a crown. If the crown is parallel to the high pressure wave exiting the muzzle, then there is no space behind that would allow or promote any turbulence. Too much angle would cause the gas to be deflected towards the boolit, and could possibly affect how the gun recoils in the shooter's hands, not enough would possibly allow turbulence to disturb the gases from the sides.

And now I'm telling my trade secrets...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    LOL right of way for boolit passage!

Those are 20 degree crowns. I settled on that angle by viewing a slow motion video of a 1911 firing and at the moment the gases exited the muzzle, I stopped the video, and measured the angle of the gas cloud, and I got a NeWay carbide cutter for a Yamaha small engine valve seat that happened to be made on the same angle. To me, this is the optimum angle for a crown. If the crown is parallel to the high pressure wave exiting the muzzle, then there is no space behind that would allow or promote any turbulence. Too much angle would cause the gas to be deflected towards the boolit, and could possibly affect how the gun recoils in the shooter's hands, not enough would possibly allow turbulence to disturb the gases from the sides.
    Wow I had no idea there was science behind this. I thought it was literally just to protect the crown from damage should it get bumped.

Boolit Master
    As soon as I send off the dies and such I have for sale my CZ 75 SP-01 barrel is headed to Nawth cackalacky for throating. And I'm anxious. I'd like to be able to fire a Lee 358 RF without having to seat it so the COL is an inch or less. To me it's just seated too deeply for safety...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    ^that was my deal. The CZ was making me seat deeper than I liked.

yes, I cant wait to have doug work on some cylinders I have, I should have already sent them, but money, then sickness got me sidetracked till my check on the first of the month!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    As soon as I send off the dies and such I have for sale my CZ 75 SP-01 barrel is headed to Nawth cackalacky for throating. And I'm anxious. I'd like to be able to fire a Lee 358 RF without having to seat it so the COL is an inch or less. To me it's just seated too deeply for safety...
    Mine too. I think I got the crown and throat package on that gun, and that CZ shoots better than I ever could. No need to spend money on a fancy Shadow 2, when the SP-01 has become one of the best competition guns I could have hoped for.

Hey Doug, you ever get another .358 reamer? I've still got a Glock barrel that could use some love