RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Oversize bullets

Boolit Master

Oversize bullets

Specifically, oversized for cylinder throats. Yes, bullet size in general is covered ad infinitum here and I'll really just have to go shoot it and see how it does, but I was just curious to see what you all's thoughts were on the subject.

I've been loading .44's for decades and have a couple good loads that work great in my other revolvers and rifle, but I just got a new model 29 that has tighter throats and bore. It looks like the throats slug around .4295", and near as I can tell (due to the 5-groove rifling) the bore is right about .4290".

For everything else I size my bullets to .431" and I just hate having special loads for each gun if I don't have to. I'm looking forward to getting time to go to the range and trying it out. The proof is in the pudding, of course, but anyone else have experience along these lines?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've done what you describe with no issues, but I stay a bit below maximum loads.
    As long as the chambers have adequate release clearance for the bullet diameter it is not unsafe, but it isn't the most efficient way to size the bullets, nor will it be the most accurate load. It will work, probably OK too, but you might get some leading in the cylinder throats, depending on bullet hardness and lube. I've found softer bullets more forgiving of this than hard ones. I use 10-11 BHN for my revolver loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I finally got out to the range to try it out. I'm impressed with this new revolver. My first 6 shot group was with full power loads. The first 4 were maybe 1.5" center to center (25 yards), then the last 2 shots opened it up considerably. It's a lighter gun than I'm used to and the recoil is a bit much. Embarrassed to admit it but I could feel myself cringing before those last two and I'm pretty sure that had an effect.

Quite a while later I tried it again, with a lighter load- 10 gr. Unique with a 429421. Five of six were inside of 1.5", with one shot bringing the whole group out to just under 2". I figure that's really not bad for a 4" gun at 25 yards. I feel confident that this gun is capable of better because while I've practiced enough to get fairly good (for an amateur), I just don't have the time to get out and practice enough to be a good shot.

As much as I hate to say it, in the last couple years my hands have started hurting, mild arthritis I assume. It doesn't affect me much until I try to shoot full charge .44 mag. It's just not fun to shoot them any more.

Boolit Master

same with my hands and wrists.

the fun of shooting high power loads was gone before I turned 70. Now I use mouse-fart loads to extend my handgun shooting for as long as possible.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

They say getting old isn't for wimps, but what worries me is that I'm still on the young side of 50.

Boolit Grand Master

Fatelk, enjoy yer shootin' now! First it's the eyes that go, then some of us start loosing feeling in our fingers, then you start forgetting why you drove out to the range...
    My Anchor is holding fast!