Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Alliant claydot

Boolit Buddy

Alliant claydot

Has anyone worked with alliant claydot in rifle loads, burn rate is very close to red dot.
    Will be working on loads with 308 win. With 170 cast. (1500-1600 FPS) Plan to work with red dot data.
    Claydot is supposed to be clone of clays which I found nothing for either, for rifle.

In my limited experience all fast 12 ga powders are suitable for reduced rifle loads. C. E. Harris recommended, at one time, 8 gr of Bullseye or 13 gr of Red Dot. I've used 10 gr of 700X and was happy with the results in my rifles. I use Red Dot now as I've been out of 700x for a couple of decades.

I've used a lot of shotgun/pistol powders in 308 with bullets ranging from 100g to 200g including the C309-170-RF. Yes Clay Dot is supposed to be Alliant's equivalent of Hodgdon's Clays and for low recoil rifle loads (10g), it's close enough to not matter. For 50 yard soda can hunting, you don't even need a GC. I just use 2:1 Beeswax/Vaseline, tumble lube with 45/45/10 or PC them and size 'em bare base.

All these fast powders burn 100% before they are halfway down the barrel so they all produce similar MV's based on charge weight.