RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1886

Boolit Master
    Beautiful grain. Yup I'm sure your Father would have been pleased.

Boolit Buddy
    Gorgeous wood, I'm a sucker for wood like that.

Boolit Bub
    osteodoc08, very sorry to hear of your father's passing. It can be tuff, I know. Square Butte, I will try to attach some photos, cross your fingers. The first set I am trying to show quality of wood figure and checking job - both of which we are very happy with. The second set will be 'wood to metal' which we are not so happy with.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135728.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	218896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135959.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	218898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_140043.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	218899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135847.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	218900
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Bub
    OK, that batch worked. I'll try the second. Keep in mind these photos were taken today after the rifle had been to the 'shop' twice and an attempt to use a filler of some type. This ran between 03/11/13 and 03/31/15. Square Butte, I offer these photos for comparison. You can make of them what you will. Good luck with which ever way you go. Would like to know which direction you go and the results you get.

watch'yer back trail pard - - SargClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135437.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	218903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135258.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	218904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135209.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	218905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_135029.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	218906
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142

Boolit Grand Master

SRL, definitely understand the criticism. It’s one of those things you just don’t understand, like why is there Braille at a drive up ATM and why did they have such poor fitting of the tang and have such large gaps? Not to mention the screw heads!

Boolit Bub
    I know, it's goofy. Square Butte may go ahead with Macon and get good results - or - maybe not. I think what upset me the most was the way they talked to me. and of course the poor response. ah, ummmmmm - (picture the Lotus position) - mmmmmmm.

Sarge
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    SRL, definitely understand the criticism. It’s one of those things you just don’t understand, like why is there Braille at a drive up ATM and why did they have such poor fitting of the tang and have such large gaps? Not to mention the screw heads!
    Been trying (unsuccessfully) to think of an excuse for that fitup given the quality of wood - the tang ? yeah might forgive that , but the forend cap gap is just plain ugly no matter what ------something that might explain that (grasping at straws here) -- pull the magazine and remove the forend cap - check the screw holes in the dovetail that retains the cap - if those holes are not dead centre in relation to the actual dovetail ?? maybe they put the dovetailed retainer back in its slot *** about face? It wouldnt take much because any discrepancy in alignment of those screw holes is gonna double when ya turn it round --- failing that --buy the guy that did it a new tape measure and send him out building barns till he learns to cut wood. this is a dang shame on such pretty wood - whatever the reason that gun should never left the shop like that.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations on the rifle! I also have a Browning 1886 SRC as well as the full size Browning 1886. They are my favorite rifles to load for and shoot. They do have no throat so finding the right mold to cast has been an adventure. The sights on the SRC, at least for my eyes, are less than optimum. I tried a Williams (of course you need to have the receiver drilled and tapped which I highly recommend) but they are aluminum and in my case just didn't hold up. I searched Ebay for an older all steel Lyman or Redfield and they are going for astronomical prices. I went with a guy I read about here on Castboolits, DW Battlesights. He makes all steel peeps that look just like the old Redfield steel peeps. Less expensive than Ebay but not cheap. You might call him (DW, he's the guy who answers the phone) or Google and look. Best peeps on the market IMO.

For molds I'm using a 350 gr gas check and a 405 gr non gas-check from Accurate molds that work great but you won't be hitting the manual specs for OAL. I don't think any lever gun hits the Lyman Cast Bullets manual spec for OAL but smarter folks than me can correct that if I'm wrong. Especially if you size .459 or greater (I size .459). I don't mind since I'm still crimping in the crimp groove but my OAL is right around 2.60 if I recall. SAECO makes some nice molds that drop at .458 if you're lucky. I've no experience with other molds. Have fun stay safe.

Wayne
    Last edited by surfanarchist; 05-03-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: I ment Redfield, not Reading (which is spelt Redding)

Boolit Master

Fun guns

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by surfanarchist View Post
    Congratulations on the rifle! I also have a Browning 1886 SRC as well as the full size Browning 1886. They are my favorite rifles to load for and shoot. They do have no throat so finding the right mold to cast has been an adventure. The sights on the SRC, at least for my eyes, are less than optimum. I tried a Williams (of course you need to have the receiver drilled and tapped which I highly recommend) but they are aluminum and in my case just didn't hold up. I searched Ebay for an older all steel Lyman or Reading and they are going for astronomical prices. I went with a guy I read about here on Castboolits, DW Battlesights. He makes all steel peeps that look just like the old Reading steel peeps. Less expensive than Ebay but not cheap. You might call him (DW, he's the guy who answers the phone) or Google and look. Best peeps on the market IMO.

For molds I'm using a 350 gr gas check and a 405 gr non gas-check from Accurate molds that work great but you won't be hitting the manual specs for OAL. I don't think any lever gun hits the Lyman Cast Bullets manual spec for OAL but smarter folks than me can correct that if I'm wrong. Especially if you size .459 or greater (I size .459). I don't mind since I'm still crimping in the crimp groove but my OAL is right around 2.60 if I recall. SAECO makes some nice molds that drop at .458 if you're lucky. I've no experience with other molds. Have fun stay safe.

Wayne
    Thank you, everyone yall sure shorten the learning curve.

Boolit Grand Master

Danmat, how’s your rifle shooting?

Boolit Buddy
    Shoots great with Winchester factory 300s.
    I just got a 350 gr. mold in going to try to find time to cast and load some this weekend.
    Could not find any r7 or 3031 powder at my local supplier,i have Varget, imr 4064, and plenty unique to try.

Boolit Grand Master

Varget has worked well for me but at the lower end has more unburnt kernels than higher end loads. Do yourself a favor and get some trail boss or similar plinking powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Varget has worked well for me but at the lower end has more unburnt kernels than higher end loads. Do yourself a favor and get some trail boss or similar plinking powder.
    That's what I used today, actually forgot I had bought a pound to try a year ago for light loads in other cals. never had opened it.