Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1886

Boolit Buddy

New 1886

Took my new to me Browning 1886 out for a test run while feeding cows today,3shots at 50 yards off my golf cart windshield factory sights ,Winchester 300 gr. HP about 1inch I'm happy now the hunt begins, think I'm gonna the 350 gr Rcbs to start with.
    Need dies molds, it never ends. Hope the picture works.Attachment 218568Attachment 218569

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't mean to post it twice

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Nice ! ya gotta love that straight grip .

That oughta keep those cows in line

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Is that the saddle ring carbine? I have one. Like it very much.

One of my bucket guns is a original 86 in 45/70, either couldn't afford them or they were not in
    the kind of shape I would buy. I have 3 45/70s- Ruger #1, #3 and old JM Marlin 95. I shoot a
    322 cast HP in the Rugers for fun and shoot Hornady 300JHP in them for hunting. All I'm shooting
    is deer so I don't need a heavier bullet. I like the accuracy I get with this bullet launched at 1600
    fps. I could crank it up a good bit more but with this load it cuts clovers at 100yds which is not bad
    for a lever gun. It does that with scope but I hunt the Marlin with Lyman reciever sight.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes its the saddle ring carbine, I only hunt deer and hogs so I'm thinking 300 to350 is plenty of weight. Those Winchester rounds say 1880fps,didnt chrno them though. Gun was comfortable to shoot with those rounds.
    Probably order a Marbles tang sight for it, I have those on a couple of other guns and they help my old eyes out. I would love an original 1886 maybe one day it will happen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Yes its the saddle ring carbine, I only hunt deer and hogs so I'm thinking 300 to350 is plenty of weight. Those Winchester rounds say 1880fps,didnt chrno them though. Gun was comfortable to shoot with those rounds.
    Probably order a Marbles tang sight for it, I have those on a couple of other guns and they help my old eyes out. I would love an original 1886 maybe one day it will happen.
    Have you thought about a williams peep - if your 86 is tapped for it? - I have one on a Browning 71 - and a marbles on my Uberti 1876 - much prefer the williams for field use as it doesnt interfere with your hand grip (I like my thumb over on the wrist and a tang site base messes some with that)

Boolit Buddy

An original 1886 has always been on my list but since it's not affordable I opted for the Winchester Limited Deluxe 1886. Haven't had an opportunity to get it out to the range yet but hopefully soon. That Browning sure is purty!

Boolit Master
    +10 on a receiver mounted peep sight!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    This Browning model is not tapped for the Side mount peep, I have 1 Williams on a 30-30 and a skinner on my marlin 39a, they are out of the way of your thumb though. But the Tang sight does look way cooler.
    Thw winny deluxe case hard. was what I was saving for but this browning came along cheap.

Seems the Brownings are getting up there in price too. Glad I got mine about 20 years ago for $600.

Boolit Bub
    About three years ago we bought our second Browning 1886 RIFLE. This one for my daughter to use, restocked w/a shot gun butt plate, in our SASS matches. My cresent but plate eats her up. Anyway back then the 3rd rifle I went for and finally bought cost us $1600.00. Basicly new in the box - all papers, etc. My first one, about 13/14 years ago cost me $850.00. Both of these rifles are the 1980's production. NO TANG SAFETY. Both really, really nice rifles. We have left the iron sights on her's and put a MVA vernier sight on mine for the 200 to 400 yard shooting. Really likes a 405 gr RNL.
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Buddy
    I had about gave up finding one at a decent price, but always on the lookout for one.
    Hit the pawn shop on a whim, SRC no safety, 2 minor safe dings on stock, 98% no box 1000 out the door. There still out there, gotta keep looking.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Red Leg View Post
    About three years ago we bought our second Browning 1886 RIFLE. This one for my daughter to use, restocked w/a shot gun butt plate, in our SASS matches. My cresent but plate eats her up. Anyway back then the 3rd rifle I went for and finally bought cost us $1600.00. Basicly new in the box - all papers, etc. My first one, about 13/14 years ago cost me $850.00. Both of these rifles are the 1980's production. NO TANG SAFETY. Both really, really nice rifles. We have left the iron sights on her's and put a MVA vernier sight on mine for the 200 to 400 yard shooting. Really likes a 405 gr RNL.
    Sgt Red Leg - Might i ask what/who you used as a supplier for a restock to shotgun butt? I have one that i have been wanting to do the same with - But undecided on what route to take for a supplier. Kind of like Precision Gun Stocks , but not sure if their 1886 butt shotgun butt stock is a great match for the Browning. Like to find one that is 90+% inlet and shaped - and a good match for the original shape.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful which molds you go for. All my Browning have zero throats and will need to get reamed before chambering just about anything over 325 gr especially with a WFN profile. You’ll love it though. I love mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Be careful which molds you go for. All my Browning have zero throats and will need to get reamed before chambering just about anything over 325 gr especially with a WFN profile. You’ll love it though. I love mine.
    Thanks for the info,i have saw that in my research here. If it will take a 350 round flat profile I'm good,thats heavy enough for my hunting use.

Boolit Bub
    Howdy SB, when we replaced the wood we did both ends. The factory wood was good but plain - and - I don't care for the bowling ball hard finish. I stripped my rifle and refinished in a tongue oil finish. Much better for my wants and needs. When we ordered my daughters gun work we choose the second from the bottom grade wood and the lady upgraded her to semi-fancy. Nice ! We also wanted an old Winchester pattern checked into the wood. Wood Chosen was Am. Walnut. Projected delivery date of 6 to 8 weeks. Sounds good - right? Well, returned for the LAST time about two years later. A number of excuses were given. When rifle returned first time the wood character was beautiful, the checking wonderful, the wood to metal SUCKED. The rifle had not been fired by use. It appeared to have been factory fired only. It had NOT been disassembled - no screw driver had touched in our hands. Six of the screw heads we all buggered up. Looked like a gorilla with a cold chisel had worked on them. My apologies to the gorillas. There was a long scratch on the magazine tube that I think came from removing the fore end cap carelessly. Weak, weak excuses were offered. I was pissed. I had taken a chance on having the work done on a rifle I did not really know would shoot well. That was on me but were were excited to get my girl in action. Turns out the rifle is an EXCELLENT shooter. -whew- I sat on the rifle for about 4 months and complained about it here. I had chosen this company from recommendations here on the site and others. One of the shooters here told me to send it back again if I was unhappy or stop complaining. So I did. They assured me the screws would be fixed along with the wood/metal fit problem and turn it around in 7- 10 days. Months later it took the threat of contacting the local DA's office about their business to get the rifle back. If you want 'the rest of the story' and their name pm me. I would love to dump chit on'em in open forum, but I won't at this point. For all this we paid $625.00 plus the multiple shipping charges close to $250 ish .
    Last edited by Sgt Red Leg; 04-19-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: additional info
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Grand Master

I was sad to hear SRL had such issues previously. We had exchanged a few PM about it and I have to say, I can’t blame him. I’ve had good luck with that company and I believe my late father was one of the members who suggested them. I’ll post up some pictures in a bit if I get a chance of what ours looked like when complete.

Boolit Grand Master

This stock was done by Macon Gun Stocks. My father and I picked out the wood, the checkering pattern and the style. It was the most I’ve ever spent on a stock and wish I went with a fancier wood but this one is mine and we did it before he passed. Unfortunately it came back the day AFTER he had passed so a bit bitter sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5133853-738F-483D-B622-2C1F2F86B22C.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	218802

The lighter color is the flash reflecting on the slight bevel. I feel the wood to metal fit was pretty good on my example

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	902BAFD8-DD44-4806-BD68-BA0BBD96F98A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	218803

Name:	3E3D1533-FC5D-4398-A58E-F0068BF0AFAC.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	218804

Few more showing the wood and checkering