Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good/bad service by reloading companies.

Boolit Man

Good/bad service by reloading companies.

Has anyone ever had bad service by the manufacturer of reloading equipment?

I've dealt with Lyman, RCBS and Lee, over broken parts, worn out parts and etc...and been treated awesome every time.

RCBS was no questions asked. Lee I tried to order some half dozen spare parts and got a cart with nothing due but $3 shipping. I lost some parts in a move for a Dillon scale, but didn't want to take advantage of their generous program so didn't contact the them. Reputation speaks for itself, I think.

Sometimes I hear about choosing X over Z because of customer service....and that begs the question...which company isn't GREAT??

Banned
    I have had excellent service every time from Lee. I have never contacted Dillon but I am sure that they are great also.

I have tried twice to get parts from RCBS for my turret press. Each time I had them on the phone they helped me put together a list of parts that I needed. And each time I had my credit card out, ready and happy to pay. Each time they told me no charge. And each time they failed to send me anything.

The total of the parts was $17 plus shipping, if memory serves me. But I never got them so I developed a work around.

Do I think that RCBS is a bad company? Not at all. I think that I just fell through a crack somewhere. It happens.

I have heard of some people getting bad service from Lee. I have also heard a few bad stories about Dillon.

For me life is too short to sweat it.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Man
    In my experience it is a great industry overall, and that's what prompted my post.

Your probably right about RCBS...you got someone busy or for whatever reason inattentive, and I doubt it is indicative of the companies normal procedures. Maybe that's wrong and this thread will fish it out?

Boolit Master
    I have to agree that it is such a great industry as far as CS. I’ve only dealt with Dillon and RCBS and have nothing but great things to say about them.

I have heard good stories about the other manufacturers as well.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Chalk me up as someone else who has never had a bad experience.
    I've dealt with Lyman, RCBS and Lee and all helped me very much.

Lyman was an issue with a trimmer that had came apart on me. They connected me to a technician and he walked me through putting the darn thing back together.
    RCBS just sent equipment at no charge.
    With Lee I had to pay for the parts, but it was minimal and a rep walked me through everything I needed and was very nice. I had bought an old Challenger press and the linkage broke in half. For only $15 I got all the parts to convert it to the new system.

No complaints at all from any of them.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Bub
    I’ve had success with many of the companies: Redding, RCBS, Dillon, and Lee (I paid for the parts for this one, which is how it should have been since I was the one who lost them).

At this point, I try to call in only if something broke that wasn’t my fault or a failure somewhere. If I break a part myself, lose something, etc. I try to find what I need without calling. Especially RCBS - you call them and they have a part on its way to you no matter what. Although that is nice, I feel I am taking advantage when it was my fault!

Just my $0.02 though!

Boolit Master
    I learned that Hornady only warrants their press to the original purchaser. Not bad service, in fact it was generally quite good and really, should I have expected free repairs for a used press, probably not.

Spent a couple days looking for springs for an RCBS power punch, being unable to locate them I called and RCBS just sent me some for nothing. Springs are probably just a couple cents each, but still a good experience.

Boolit Master

Bad service, no not exactly, but I just learned a lesson with the Forster trimmer (well a couple but that's another story), and that is that the cutter shaft may not fit the bearing when you get a new one, so you have to ship the bearing to them so they can hone one or the other to fit. Not expensive mind you, I think it was just seven bucks to ship (maybe less) and about a week or so to get it back, the service is actually free. And they didn't do one of the pieces for the outside neck turner even though I sent it in as well. So I decided to just do it myself. with the old shaft I'll just put some lapping compound on it and spin it until it fits the new one.
    Lee, RCBS and Hornady have all sent me parts free of charge, even though, and I told them, it may have been something I did.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Nothing but good experiences with any company I have dealt with. I have only had to contact RCBS once about a threat bushing I ruined trying to remove a broken die (not RCBS). I told them that it was all my fault. The broken die, the ruined bushing was all me. They replaced the bushing and even paid the shipping.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've had good service from all of the reloading equipment manufacturers. 30 years ago when RCBS/Speer/CCI was under the Blount umbrella Lee brought out their new safety scale, same one as today, in red, orange and a green shade very, very close to RCBS green. Blount, using the RCBS name filed suit against Lee for using RCBS green. I never liked Blount and I tried very hard not to patronize any of the companies under their conglomerate umbrella. I wrote to RCBS, Blount and told them both that I thought that was a chicken**** way to do business in such a small industry. I was ignored......but Lee discontinued the green and orange scales. RCBS is under another gigantic umbrella today but it seems to be of better character than Blount was.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 04-16-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: language censor

I've had several dealings with RCBS, and they were always more than helpful. Sending parts when I should have paid for them, sending old hard to get parts from their left overs shelf.

My latest experience with Lee, was less than favorable. I bought a sizing die, that had an internal gouge out of it. Even though I sent a picture of the damage, they want me to send it in.. .and I have to pay shipping. I shouldnt have to pay 4 bucks shipping to return something thats going to get throwed away.

Lyman... I had a die that was giving me trouble, they sent me a replacement. Then... I needed a different seating plug for a die... took 2 years of emailing off and on, now they are finally sending me what I need. At no charge none the less.

I called hornady for something once... and they were knowledgeable and didnt have what I needed. Their telephone answering system was the best.

Hi,
    Living in Australia, I have had good service from RCBS and Redding, but very poor from Lyman. Both Redding and RCBS have replaced lost or damaged parts at no cost, including a complete black powder dispenser, however, I had the adjusting screw on the bottom of a Lyman Lubrisizer broken and the push rod bent while moving house recently. I used the online shop to order new ones, cost about US$6 and was told that postage was US$75. On querying this I was told that that was their minimum charge to send any parts to Australia and there was nothing that they could do about it. My response was to cancel the order and have one made as I don't have access to a lathe to do it myself. It takes months to get anything unusual sent here if ordered through local agents.
    LuckyLes

Boolit Man
    Enlightening discussion. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLes View Post
    Hi,
    Living in Australia, I have had good service from RCBS and Redding, but very poor from Lyman. Both Redding and RCBS have replaced lost or damaged parts at no cost, including a complete black powder dispenser, however, I had the adjusting screw on the bottom of a Lyman Lubrisizer broken and the push rod bent while moving house recently. I used the online shop to order new ones, cost about US$6 and was told that postage was US$75. On querying this I was told that that was their minimum charge to send any parts to Australia and there was nothing that they could do about it. My response was to cancel the order and have one made as I don't have access to a lathe to do it myself. It takes months to get anything unusual sent here if ordered through local agents.
    LuckyLes
    That is malarkey! Perhaps for other things you're having problems getting parts for, you could have someone here get the parts and send to you. I know I'd be willing to help in this way. Id venture a guess it'd cost 10 bucks to ship the parts mentioned.

Boolit Master
    Never had a problem with Lee, Lyman and RCBS. The only trouble I've had was with some company that makes "headspace" and cartridge length gauges. They made their 32 Winchester Special "headspace" gauge so that the length is controlled by the shoulder dimension, rather than the Rim. You couldn't verify brass length if you only neck sized. I contacted them and they insisted that all bottleneck cases headspace on the shoulder. They didn't want to understand that 30-30, 32 WS and other rimmed cases don't work that way. After I explained it in more detail they told me that, 'Ok, our gauge doesn't measure headspace it only measure length, but it is still designed right'. Then when I pointed out that with rimmed cases the shoulder grows to fit the chamber, so the cases woudn't go into the gauge to measure length (the rim sticks out the end), they came back and said 'OK-- so our gauge will only work with factory full length sized cases-- but it still is designed right.' The net result is that the gauge only worked if you full-length sized-- which I don't do, and I assume lots of others don't do.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

I have had great service from Dillon, Leopold and RCBS. No questions ask and no shipping charges. I'm dealing with Lee right now and the jury is still out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dillon let me down.

I bought a used press that needed some parts are rebuilding. I was informed Dillon would not do it. I expected to pay for whatever parts were missing but still no go. I ordered the parts and will do it myself.

I will still recommend and purchase Dillon presses but the no BS cannot be trusted.

BTW, this happened after Mike passed. I assume a bean counter is now in charge.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Dillon was very good about a 1st generation electronic scale that drifted so badly it was not useable. When it was still new my buddy gave it to me because he was disgusted with it. I called Dillon several times and they always said zend it back. Finally after 8 years I sent it back and they sent me the next generation scale that works perfectly.
    RCBS has fixed everything for free for almost 50 years.
    Redding has been ok though I do not have much of their stuff except for dies.
    Hornady fixed my one problem but I avoid their stuff.
    Lyman is ok half of the time and stink half of the time.
    Forster gives you not one thing unless you pay retail out the nose.
    Lee has fixed everything without a problem or charge.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have had no issues with any manufacturer I have had to contact about reloading equip. or firearms, & accessories, up to this point. So, No complaints from me so far.
    I must be lucky in how I have been treated.
    Perhaps it is how I go about talking to the people on the other end & try to make sure that I am not one of the reasons they hate their job. At least, I think that helps anyway.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLes View Post
    Hi,
    LuckyLes
    Also DownUnder and had the same experience with Lyman, actually worse because they charged my cc the additional postage which was not revealed in their online order portal.

RCBS is not as great as others seem to think either. Depends on the mood of the operator on the day. Apart from 40 minutes on hold (international call rates) on three occasions they wanted me to return the faulty item first. Not really practical given postage costs. Twice new in box dies were "DOA" from really poor QC and once when the cheap Chinese motor in their vibratory polisher died after just a couple of uses.

They did make two of those claims good eventually but refused to budge on a set of 45/70 dies that had torn up threads. I binned those and haven't bought green since.

To be fair, they have on other occasions been excellent to deal with, and all my reloading gear when I started decades ago was RCBS. However rarely needed to contact them about anything in the early days because their stuff was so good. Not anymore.

Hornady have been really good to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast