RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good/bad service by reloading companies.

Boolit Grand Master

I will add that my Email was as courteous as an Email can be as was my phone conservation. I requested a replacement part and a spare that I was willing to pay for. I guess I'm just used to Leopold, Dillon or RCBS customer service.

Boolit Master

trying to think back and I don't remember any issues

all have been more than fair with me and my sometime ham-handedness.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    For me Dillon has always been good to go. I have had extremely good customer service and advice on more than a few issues. Replacement parts were sent in a timely fashion and free of charge unless it was an upgrade to an older press that never had the part. RCBS, Lee are excellent to deal with, Hornady is pretty good, most of the time. Forester (Bonanza) has been helpful but I haven't dealt with them much. I use Blue & Green stuff a lot, the others are there when I need them. But Blue has been my goto for quite a few decades.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    When I call Lyman or RCBS they send me stuff for free.. and that makes me feel guilty.
    When I send something to Lee for modification, they send it back.
    When i call Forster, they will take my money, and lots of it.

My favorite reloading sources are just some guy on auction arms that will roll 32 s&w long into 32 Colt Long or some guy on Ebay that 3D prints a primer catcher for an RCBS partner press.

Boolit Grand Master
    I read this thread from top to bottom, and an idea occurred to me--I have had utterly outstanding service from the reloading tool makers I have dealt with, and (more tellingly) I have had very little need to prevail upon them for assistance/repairs/replacement. I am a realist--I don't expect the same high quality from a Lee product that I get from Redding or SAECO, but Lee stuff is still OK. Gunmakers could learn some valuable lessons from the reloading tool manufacturers in terms of finish quality and service after the sale.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    RCBS is almost always great+.
    Hornady has issues I think. When Hdy has a lifetime warranty, they dont mean it. My old Projector press with a lifetime warranty is out of warranty somehow. My LNL AP press with a lifetime warranty that I bought to replace my Projector had the wire ejector that never worked. So I now need to buy a $80.00 replacement carrier and send off all my shell plates to be re cut to to fit my new carrier at a cost of $10.00 each. And the spring that holds the brass on the plate broke and HDY told me to buy a new one at Midway. As you may have guessed I have a ever lowering opinion of Hornady.
    Never has RCBS failed to at least try to make it right.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    The last time I dealt with Dillon when I was asked about the service all I said was you can tell Mike Dillon is no longer in charge.

Boolit Mold
    I have had excellent service from Forster, RCBS, and with Lee. Forster has went out of their way and beyond my expectation from my experience.

Boolit Master

i wont have lee stuff in my home or shop, so i dont care about them. the others (pretty much all of them) have been good to deal with, with the exception of lyman being a pita! personal experience has taught me to stick with redding, rcbs, and dillon.

I like Lee but feel the same way about Hornady, won't have them on my bench. Too many bad experiences with their customer service.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Hornady has the rep for never admitting anything they made has a problem. It is amusing, until you are the one trying to resolve an issue. Lyman CS has went the way of many of their products. They have cut a lot of corners. I would not own an orange press made in the last decade or more.
    The rest are still known as excellent 99.9% of the time, that includes Lee.

Boolit Bub
    Always great service from RCBS

Best service for me, RCBS. They send me things when I need them usually free of charge.

Worst service, Redding. I have a Redding die set in 280 Ack Imp which scratched brass from the beginning. I called them and they said send it in, I did, they sent it back saying it was within specs. It still scratched brass very deeply. I called them and they said send it back in, I put a small dot of Dykem inside the sizing die and sent it in, then they sent it back saying they polished it and it was within specs, well the Dykem was still in there and it still deeply gouged the brass. I gave up and bought another brand of sizing die.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master

Dillon burned me back 30+yrs ago when they 1ST brought out the 450 press in a GUNS AND AMMO ad. I had problems with the primer feed using WINCHESTER Small Pistol Primers. I called & was told the fix was NOT TO USE WINCHESTER Primers. THEY'RE "crappy".
    "And don't use WINCHESTER Ball Powder either."

So I sat there looking at the 1st sleeve of 5000 primers I'd ever bought & the new 10lb can of W231. Was lucky to sell it and an old (But accurate) OHAUS 505 scale to a new shooter. He proceeded to blow up a UBERTI '73 and a New USFA SAA in .38spl over the next 3 years.

I gave another chance 20yrs later on a Square Deal in .44spl, never would index properly. Sent it back ($20.),
    Got it back. Guess I just got lemons. Sold it too.

Had trouble with LYMAN molds last year. Undersized, 4-5 phone calls, sent them back. They sent back 2 new molds. Made at same time & inspected by same person. More phone calls, more $$$ sending the new ones back. Four months later, I got my molds that would finally drop .429+ with LYMAN#2. By that time I'd already spent another $100. to buy a N.O.E. mold & had cast 2000 bullets that dropped at .432, sized perfectly to .430dia. Just as I wanted 4 month's earlier.

RCBS, HORNADY are the best. LYMAN even sent me a new pair of 4cav mold handles after the new pair of 4cav I bought online, came out of the package for 2cav molds. Didn't even want the old ones back.
    But their DIES are still top notch, and their motorized case trimmer & tumbler have worked perfectly for 27yrs & 36yrs respectively. And I don't know how I ever got along without their motorized Case Prep Setup.

So no more dillon presses and no more lyman molds, for me.
    Last edited by Walks; 05-18-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Super Moderator

................I'm happy to be able to post that I do not recall ever having to have a reloading equipment company replace anything, or having an issue with a product. Oh let me be honest and admit that early on, years ago I managed to cause a couple Lee bullet moulds to experience an early demise I sure didn't call Lee.

One time I did call RCBS about ordering a new 'Internal Bump Rod' or whatever you call that rod on the inside of a primer pocket swage die. My cousin was a Marine stationed at 29 Palms. On a visit he gifted me with a 5 gallon pail just over half full of once fired LC83 5.56mm brass. In the midst of swagging out the crimp I eventually managed to bend the rod.

The Customer Service gal said she'd send one right out, no charge. I refused and said I'd bent it, and I'd pay for it. She insisted that no payment was required and please could she have my address. Again I said I would NOT allow them to provide the part for free, because I bent it. We were both kind of enjoying ourselves to tell the truth. I finally suggested that if she did NOT take my credit card number for the part, and shipping for the part I broke, I was going to call and complain that this was a one way deal and I wasn't getting satisfaction from customer service

She finally agreed and the deal was done. She thanked me for calling, and I thanked her for the service.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    I can't say anything bad about Dillon really. Last year I bought an older 650XL from someone which was ridden hard and put away wet.
    Some screws in plastic parts were over torqued casing it to split and the station locator (the alu. part guiding the case to the shellplate) was scored badly causing cases to hang up.
    I send an e-mail to Dillon stating I bought the machine 2nd/3rd/4th hand and that I was having some issues with it. I did not request any new parts just wanted to know if they knew how to fix my issue.
    I got an e-mail back asking for my address and they send me some parts totaling about $150,- excluding shipping to The Netherlands.

A few weeks later I found another broken part and again they just send me a new part, no questions asked.

The 650 I bought came with a 110V case feeder which I wanted to convert to 220V, on my e-mails asking them which parts to replace they could tell me exactly what to do meaning they really know their stuff. Even the less obvious stuff.

I may sound like a Dillon fan but this is just my experience with them. If I had to choose between my 650 and my LnL AP the Dillon would go :P

The only manufacturer I haven't gotten what I consider good service from was on 1983+- Dillon 550 .
    Had house fire(2008) and contacted Dillon about a suggested method of cleaning a 550 up from both water spray and black plastic smoke.
    Never did get a workable answer or suggested solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123