Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 458 CDL? Smart?

Boolit Man

458 CDL? Smart?

I have a Remington 700cdl LH chambered in 7mm rem mag. I bought the gun new in about 2005-06, shot a few deer with it but never fell in love. Mostly because I could never make it shoot very well. 1.5-3” groups were about best. Anyway, I have been wanting to build a 458 Win mag for some time. Figured why not just build it on the CDL. I would have it be about a 22” barrel. Band front sight and peep on the receiver.

Anyone see any problems arising from the CDL stock? I figure I will probably have to remove some wood in the forehand potentially. Probably will want to glass bed the action and chamber.

Any thoughts appreciated.

IMO that CDL stock may be too light for a .458 Win Mag. Better to get a more reinforced heavier stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I was worried about that exact thing. The rifle is in great shape, and if I can’t use the stock for this deal I think I might not even use this rifle. I would just sell it and start with something else.

Hopefully someone gets on here and tells me they have built a 460 or some other dinosaur gun out of a CDL!

I'm sure that pretty CDL could get you most of the way towards a nice .458 rifle. CZ comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm sure that pretty CDL could get you most of the way towards a nice .458 rifle. CZ comes to mind.

I do like the Rem. 700 but here you are not only having issues with the stock, but will have to open the bolt face and work the action to feed that much larger round, and still have a push feed .458 Win. Mag. . Just trade it in toward a nice .458 Win. Mag or .458 Lott to me any thing looking to go to Africa or after any thing else that may bit me would be control round feed. My .458 Win. Mag. is the tried and true 98 Mauser

The Ruger Magnum rifle is nice. This .375 is crazy accurate, too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    I do like the Rem. 700 but here you are not only having issues with the stock, but will have to open the bolt face and work the action to feed that much larger round, and still have a push feed .458 Win. Mag. . Just trade it in toward a nice .458 Win. Mag or .458 Lott to me any thing looking to go to Africa or after any thing else that may bit me would be control round feed. My .458 Win. Mag. is the tried and true 98 Mauser
    I'm not a gunsmith but why would the bolt need to be opened. The rim diameter for the 7 mag and 458 are the same .532" IIRC. I can see the follower needing to be replaced but beyond that ...

Boolit Man
    I am sure the bolt face is fine. It’s part of the reason for my thoughts of going to 458. All your points about trading are valid, and that might well be the route I go. The one thing that is tricky is finding a left hand gun. I own most all right hand, so thought it would be nice to keep this receiver

Boolit Man

Already have a Ruger 375. Not that I couldn’t use a bolt to go along with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's that white stuff? Does it make guns grow on trees?

Boolit Man
    Yeah. But most have been plucked by harry hording beasts already! And they get mad if you go in their caves and take them. I just got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk