Graf & SonsRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Thread: Dedicated Peep Sights for the Umarex Gauntlet

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

Dedicated Peep Sights for the Umarex Gauntlet

I'm nearing the end of the 3D modeling stage of the dedicated Peep Sights I've been working on for my Umarex Gauntlet PCP. The adjustable Globe-Front-Sight is actually complete and ready to be 3D printed; all I need is a 3D printer. Both the front and the rear adjustable Peep Sights were designed to be 3D printed rather than machined into existence like some of the other Peep Sights I've made.

I thought I had finished drawing up the rear Peep Sight as well but midway through the designing of the base I changed the position of where it would be mounted without considering the consequences of that change. I ended up with the front half of the Peep-Sight base off center from the rear half. It's an easily fixable problem but if I'd been paying attention in the first place I wouldn't have to go back and fix what needs fixing.

The lower/base sections of both the front and rear adjustable sights can be altered or re-configured to fit nearly any barrel or scope rail type. The ones I have drawn up are made to fit the modified shroud on the muzzle end of my Umarex Gauntlet and the rear adjustable sight is made to clamp onto the narrow dove tail (I think it's 7mm) integral to the reciever.

It will take a little more time to do the alterations to my 3D models but that's OK. I finally got the money together to buy the 3D printer I've had my eye on but it looks like they have quit taking "Pre-Orders;" at least that's the impression I got when their online ordering page refused to accept my money. I have a second choice of 3D printers as well but I'm going to give it a couple more days before I do any actual buying. This should buy me the time I need to get that rear Peep sights' CAD drawings modified.

It's all sounds so easy when I write it like this. The fact is, I have to order the printer, wait for it to arrive, assemble what needs assembling and then learn how to use it proficiently enough to start printing my parts. In between all of that I'm sure there will be unforeseen growing pains and learning curves. Wish me luck.

HollowPoint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GpeepDiagram.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	218517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GpeepRight.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	218518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontPeepDiagram.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	218519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontPeepBack.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	218520  
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 04-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Your modeling looks great.
    Looking at your front sight in another post sent me down the road of planning an indexable sight that has rattled around in my mind for quite a while.

Since the machine I have is a CNC mill, one of the rabbit holes I have been down is to alter a Harbor freight mini chop saw so I can grip well, and cut accurately, small pieces of aluminum.

Your crosswire design is ingenious, but I am planning a post type front sight.

I wonder if the vertical cross hair might be better installed with an oversize hole on top so you can insert the through it to the bottom, then a top insert to lock the wire in place

I wish you clear sailing getting your printer running and sights built.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 04-16-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    That's an excellent idea on the vertical cross hair. I never thought of that. I figured it would be simple enough to slip it into place from the top and then just apply a heated pin head to the top of the tiny hole to lock it into place from the top. I suppose the same could be done from the bottom without the possibly unsightly look of melted plastic surrounding that tiny hole on the top face.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    That's an excellent idea on the vertical cross hair. I never thought of that. I figured it would be simple enough to slip it into place from the top and then just apply a heated pin head to the top of the tiny hole to lock it into place from the top. I suppose the same could be done from the bottom without the possibly unsightly look of melted plastic surrounding that tiny hole on the top face.

HollowPoint
    If you can deal with a front global sight the inserts are easy to make . Marvin

Your rear sight looks interesting. How does it mount to the rifle, by clamping onto the rifle's dovetail?

I agree with melloairman regarding the front sight. A globe receiver that will take standard apertures would be my choice if I were buying the sight.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I think every shooter should stick to what they like best and what works for them. In my case, The cross-hair Globe Front Sight is what I like. I've seen the plethora of front sight apertures available for Globe Front Sights but none of them have ever really worked out for me. Most, but not all of them tended to obscure my chosen target. (mostly birds and rabbits and such) For target shooting I think they have their place. Somewhere in my storage closet I have a small box with various Globe Front Sight apertures of different configurations. They were made to fit the various store bought Globe Front Sights I've owned over the years.

I like the fact that the cross hair setup I have now gives me a sight picture similar to the scopes I use on my other rifles. Another thing is that my air rifles are nine pounds or above right out of the box. After adding a scope -depending on the scope- the weight goes north of ten pounds rather quickly. For carrying in the field this is a bit much for me. Others don't really mind that kind of weight but, the older I get the less I find it appealing.

I haven't made or mounted these 3D printed peep sights but I'm thinking they will tip the scales at mere ounces as opposed to pounds plus ounces.

My design is no different in terms of how they will clamp onto the rifles dove tail as several other reciever mounted peep sights. I have gone back in and corrected the alignment I mentioned in one of my previous posts. There will now be a snug fit onto the Umarex Gauntlets' factory dove tail so even the slightest amount of clamping force will hold it in place; and since these PCP air rifles have no recoil to speak of, I think this will be more than enough for worry-free mounting.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I think every shooter should stick to what they like best and what works for them. In my case, The cross-hair Globe Front Sight is what I like. I've seen the plethora of front sight apertures available for Globe Front Sights but none of them have ever really worked out for me. Most, but not all of them tended to obscure my chosen target. (mostly birds and rabbits and such) For target shooting I think they have their place. Somewhere in my storage closet I have a small box with various Globe Front Sight apertures of different configurations. They were made to fit the various store bought Globe Front Sights I've owned over the years.

I like the fact that the cross hair setup I have now gives me a sight picture similar to the scopes I use on my other rifles. Another thing is that my air rifles are nine pounds or above right out of the box. After adding a scope -depending on the scope- the weight goes north of ten pounds rather quickly. For carrying in the field this is a bit much for me. Others don't really mind that kind of weight but, the older I get the less I find it appealing.

I haven't made or mounted these 3D printed peep sights but I'm thinking they will tip the scales at mere ounces as opposed to pounds plus ounces.

My design is no different in terms of how they will clamp onto the rifles dove tail as several other reciever mounted peep sights. I have gone back in and corrected the alignment I mentioned in one of my previous posts. There will now be a snug fit onto the Umarex Gauntlets' factory dove tail so even the slightest amount of clamping force will hold it in place; and since these PCP air rifles have no recoil to speak of, I think this will be more than enough for worry-free mounting.

HollowPoint
    When I was making them I made a couple with just a dimple mark in the center not a hole . It gave me fast none obscured hunting site acquisition .The humane eye quickly self centers its self when looking through a hole or round tube . The small dot was easy to center through the peep . But if cross hairs work best for you so be it .Marvin

Boolit Master

The inserts I liked were clear plastic with a chamfered hole in them. It was just a ring in the front globe that encircled the target with a small line of white around it but no wires of posts to distact and obscure the target. The ring from machining the hole and the chamfer gave a nice visible ring of a good width to be seen

Boolit Master
    I seem to recall seeing some of those clear front sight inserts back when I was looking for something that I could get accustomed to using. I never did try them first hand. Most of the ones I tried were the thicker black plastic inserts of various configurations. Back then my eye sight would allow me to shoot accurately with iron sights. During a very short stint in the Boy Scouts. I was entered in .22 caliber shooting match at one of our local military reserve stations.

They trained with .22 rifles with peep sights mounted on them. One of the reasons the scout leaders entered me was because I was a good shot. (using iron sights) I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn shooting with those peep sighted rifles. My reason for buying them was so I could learn how to use them. Fast forward to today; I've learned how to use them. I've learned that the best sight picture I could come up with for my eye sight and my shooting preferences was the cross-hairs I've been utilizing in all of my Peep sights. Now days I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if I tried shooting with iron sight any more.

My eye sight is such that I either need a scope or a good set of peep sights. Peep sights are cheaper than most good scopes (especially when I make them myself) so I mount those on my air rifles. When I'm in the field with my powder burners, I carry a set of peep sights as a backup just in case my scope ever takes a dump on me. That's never happened but if it ever did it wouldn't be the end of my outing.

HollowPoint