Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: revolver barrel twist

Boolit Buddy
    It sure is a good thing there are decent folks here willing to share their knowledge and experience. If I, or anyone for that matter, anyone else were to assume an optimum boolit based soley on currently known calculators and formulas for barrel twist rates, a person sure would be scrathing their head wondering why manufacturer's produce the twist rates they do in handguns.

Maybe we can "taunt" Felix into using his genius to give us some semblance of an accurate twist formula for revolvers? I know figuring something like that out is way over my head. It just seems that with all the technological advaces today, somebody could figure somethig out!

The flip side of the coin is each firearm does its own thing anyway so I guess all is well as we can always have a lot more fun just shooting to find that optimum boolit rather than try calculate it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, it can be done, but not without duress. The assumptions involved for the most appropriate solution are not practical in the field. Like the posts above, we are talking boolit slip and sliding from ignition throughout the barrel exit. In a true pistol, like in the ACP, we can use twists set for rifles, with additional compensating twist for the lack of velocity. For example, about 5 years ago I noticed someone made match barrels for their pistols at 24 twist. They actually made one for the 1911 as well, and I was tempted. That would have been marginal at 50 yards using bullseye HG68 loads. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The reason for the gain twist was bullets were stripping the rifling at the high velocities.
    My friend has been shooing a borrowed .460 and he is also amazed at the accuracy.
    But then again, it is hard to find any S&W that does not shoot.
    Why would the S&W 460 strip bullets at high velocity when 223 with 7 twists and 22-250's with a 9 twist don't?????

I'm not sure that is the reason. I'm thinking more along the lines to keep pressure down because of more resistance of a one rate fast twist or whatever twist.

I may be able to find out though from my very good friend at Lothar Walther, I believe a while back he told me LW made their barrels.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gunsbrad View Post
    ...What I am interested in is more ideas on this than basic nuts and bolts.
    Actually, I'm not very concerned about twist in the .44 revolvers and what bullets they will and won't stabilize. When you start looking at the data, you see that when you get heavier than 240-250 grains, the muzzle velocity drops off to the extent that kinetic energy and momentum both begin to suffer; so much so that even at 100 yards, the retained energy of the 250 gr bullet is still more than the 300, despite the vastly superior BC of the 300 gr bullet. In other words, a bullet heavier than 250 grs in the .44M is essentially a waste of lead, and I'm sure the engineers at Ruger had this in mind when they cooked up the twist rate of the SBH-- they decided on the twist rate that gave the best accuracy in typical 240-250 gr .44M loadings.

I've not done much work with the .45, but I'm guessing the faster twist rate of the .45 owes to the fact that it's a slower cartridge; crunch the numbers and you'll probably find you have to use a faster twist to get an optimal spin for a 250 gr slug only going 800 fps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Actually, I'm not very concerned about twist in the .44 revolvers and what bullets they will and won't stabilize. When you start looking at the data, you see that when you get heavier than 240-250 grains, the muzzle velocity drops off to the extent that kinetic energy and momentum both begin to suffer; so much so that even at 100 yards, the retained energy of the 250 gr bullet is still more than the 300, despite the vastly superior BC of the 300 gr bullet. In other words, a bullet heavier than 250 grs in the .44M is essentially a waste of lead, and I'm sure the engineers at Ruger had this in mind when they cooked up the twist rate of the SBH-- they decided on the twist rate that gave the best accuracy in typical 240-250 gr .44M loadings.

I've not done much work with the .45, but I'm guessing the faster twist rate of the .45 owes to the fact that it's a slower cartridge; crunch the numbers and you'll probably find you have to use a faster twist to get an optimal spin for a 250 gr slug only going 800 fps.
    I do not know where you get your information but it is wrong. Given two boolits, one light and one heavy with the same basic profiles, the heavy one will ALWAYS have more sustained velocity and energy at range then the light one even if started a little slower.
    But lets say you start both at the same velocity to start with. The boolit that is 100 or so gr heavier will have close to double the energy at 500 yards.
    Now reduce the velocity of the heavy boolit by 100 fps which is about right for the difference in the 250 to 300 gr in the .44, you can still have a good 300 fp of energy more from the heavy boolit at 500 yards.
    This holds true at all ranges. At closer ranges the heavy boolit has even more energy and will not lose it as fast as distance increases.
    Pick the accuracy point of each .44 boolit I shoot, the 245 gr at about 1420 fps and the 320 gr LBT at 1316 fps, go to your book and plot the energy figures from 50 to 500 yards.
    I think your eyes will be opened very wide!
    Then shoot the steel ram at 500 meters with your 250 gr boolit and then with the 320 gr and tell me which one will leave the ram standing and which has the most momentum!!!
    I can tell you one thing, if I were to shoot an elk or larger at 100 yards, the 250 gr boolit will stay home.
    You are printing mis-information that only confuses the poor fella asking questions.
    Extra boolit weight is NEVER wasted.
    Go to the .45 Colt in a Ruger with a 250 gr boolit at about 1300 fps and compare it to my 343 gr boolit at 1167 fps, work out the energy, then tell me which one you want me to shoot at you at 500 yards. I think you will find the heavy boolit has the edge in energy, momentum and penetration.
    Here is a 330 gr, .44 boolit at 200 yards from my SBH. Does this look like the twist is wrong?
    Last edited by 44man; 10-31-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The reason, Joe, is accelerating the boolit's rotation. Wider projectiles are progressively harder to do without stripping. ... felix
    felix

Banned

The ONLY thing affected by boolit weight is trajectory.
    Let us compare the .44 to the 45-70 and .475 revolvers with heavy boolits.
    The .44 will drop about 35" at 200 with a 50 yard setting. The 45-70 will drop about 16" and the .475 only drops 18" with a 420 gr boolit.
    The big difference is boolit weight with the .475 at the same velocity as the .44, far outstripping drop figures while the 45-70 uses a little more velocity to flatten trajectory.
    The .475 is FAR more potent a killing machine then any other because of the boolit diameter and weight.
    I do not sit at a desk and make up stuff. I shoot and hunt and know what heavy boolits do.
    Supermag, have you ever shot revolvers to 500 meters?

Boolit Master
    Actually, twist rate is not for those that do everything right. They are more for the masses to do what will perform the best over an entire bullet weight range for the practical power limits and ranges of the caliber. Sort of how the guns will be used with a minimum of effort for the largest amount of people.

Twist rate is really a range determiner since only velocity is lost. And the worse you launch something, the faster you have to spin it to hope to achieve the same accuracy / range. Which is why accuracy varies for all of us as we change load conditions. If it were simply a velocity level and spin rate, then all loads that produced that combination would shoot the same. Particularly in a handgun where you don't have bedding or vibration issues.

The longer the barrel, the less twist rate is an issue and the slower you can go with it. The shorter the barrel, the more critical twist rate and bullet weight become.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Actually, twist rate is not for those that do everything right. They are more for the masses to do what will perform the best over an entire bullet weight range for the practical power limits and ranges of the caliber. Sort of how the guns will be used with a minimum of effort for the largest amount of people.

Twist rate is really a range determiner since only velocity is lost. And the worse you launch something, the faster you have to spin it to hope to achieve the same accuracy / range. Which is why accuracy varies for all of us as we change load conditions. If it were simply a velocity level and spin rate, then all loads that produced that combination would shoot the same. Particularly in a handgun where you don't have bedding or vibration issues.

The longer the barrel, the less twist rate is an issue and the slower you can go with it. The shorter the barrel, the more critical twist rate and bullet weight become.
    That was very well said! Shorter barrels should have a faster twist. Cost to gun makers would be too much. A happy medium needs to be reached but it is sad some gun makers ignore proper procedures by testing and just go to out dated cannon figures worked out by some pencil pusher at a desk.
    Talking to Marlin is like talking to the US Congress!
    A few revolver makers are out of the loop and stubborn as all get out too.
    Some revolver makers do not expect anyone to shoot more then 7 yards either.

Given two boolits, one light and one heavy with the same basic profiles, the heavy one will ALWAYS have more sustained velocity and energy at range then the light one even if started a little slower.
    I never said any different. What I said was --from the SBH-- the 300 grain bullet starts so much slower than the 250 grain bullet INITIALLY, that it doesn't make much sense to fool around with anything heavier. To wit:

From my 7.5" SBH and a 250 gr LSWC, I can shake 1503 FPS (mean) as measured at 20' with an Oehler 35P. The most I can coax out of the 300 gr LSWC, on the other hand, is 1217 fps. Any more, and the primer pockets start to loosen. (And both of those figures, incidentally, surpass just about any published numbers for 'safe' loads.)

If we take that data and apply it to the ballistic tables found in Sierra's 3rd, we see that it takes the 300 gr bullet 250 yards to "catch up" to the 250 grain bullet in retained energy and momentum. And if we're smart and the purpose of our shooting is bullets-on-game out past 250 yards, we're not using the original poster's open-sighted Ruger SBH, are we? Anyway, my point in my previous post was that the twist of the Ruger SBH is just fine for anything you're likely to use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man
    ...I do not know where you get your information but it is wrong... You are printing mis-information that only confuses the poor fella asking questions... I do not sit at a desk and make up stuff... Supermag, have you ever shot revolvers to 500 meters?
    What's your problem? Did I say something that offended you?

Banned

I never said any different. What I said was --from the SBH-- the 300 grain bullet starts so much slower than the 250 grain bullet INITIALLY, that it doesn't make much sense to fool around with anything heavier. To wit:

From my 7.5" SBH and a 250 gr LSWC, I can shake 1503 FPS (mean) as measured at 20' with an Oehler 35P. The most I can coax out of the 300 gr LSWC, on the other hand, is 1217 fps. Any more, and the primer pockets start to loosen. (And both of those figures, incidentally, surpass just about any published numbers for 'safe' loads.)

If we take that data and apply it to the ballistic tables found in Sierra's 3rd, we see that it takes the 300 gr bullet 250 yards to "catch up" to the 250 grain bullet in retained energy and momentum. And if we're smart and the purpose of our shooting is bullets-on-game out past 250 yards, we're not using the original poster's open-sighted Ruger SBH, are we? Anyway, my point in my previous post was that the twist of the Ruger SBH is just fine for anything you're likely to use it for.

No, I never take offense, it is just that heavier boolits have more energy even if they take a microsecond longer to get to the target. To say a lighter boolit has more energy at 100 is wrong just because it starts faster.
    But I see the velocities you fool with and the total quest for speed from a revolver. 1503 fps is ridiculous for any .44.
    Run my figures and come back, I use sane, accurate loads because ME and MV has never killed anything, only boolit work in the animal does, along with the ability to hit the animal.
    But let us use the Lyman chart for .45 boolits. Start a 293 gr boolit at 1400 fps and a 420 gr at 1300 fps.
    Energy at 100 is 930 fp for the 293 gr.
    200 is 728
    300 is 610
    400 is 529
    500 is 468
    the 420 is 1277 at 100
    200 is 1086
    300 is 955
    400 is 858
    500 is 782
    347 fp more at 100 for the heavy boolit and 314 more at 500.
    I might agree with you if you are talking about high velocity rifle loads but they have no place in handgun loads.
    Light, high velocity bullets bleed off velocity fast and it will take time for a heavy bullet to match energy, but it does not only match it but will exceed it the farther down range you get.
    You can not attribute magic to revolver boolits, heavy hits harder at any range.
    I will never be impressed with super high velocity from any revolver, pushing the envelope.
    Now please show us 50 and 100 yard groups shot with your super loads!
    Bass is always on me about "Hot " loads but he does not understand, I do NOT load hot, only accurate.
    I did not like to quote any book figures like the Lyman because I do not believe they mean much. Neither do the figures you quote.
    I put my boolits into practice and see for myself what they do. I can say a 310 gr at 100 is a hell of a lot more powerful then a 250 gr.

Banned

Supermag, go back to your first post, that is NOT what you said. You did a back track.

...Light, high velocity bullets bleed off velocity fast and it will take time for a heavy bullet to match energy, but it does not only match it but will exceed it the farther down range you get...
    Absolutely. And that'll happen pretty quickly in the case you cite where the two muzzle velocities differ by only 100 fps. And if the difference between the two bullets was only 100 fps at the muzzle, I wouldn't waste my time with the lighter one.

But in the case of the 7.5" Ruger SBH, the difference in max velocities is so far apart between the 250 gr and 300 grain bullets that it makes the 300 grain bullet irrelevant out to 250 yards. Whether it's my own muzzle velocity figures or Sierra's --Sierra uses the 7.5" SBH as their test platform-- the difference in max muzzle velocities between the 240 and 300 grain bullets is 300 fps.

In other words, there simply is not enough barrel hanging off the end of your typical .44 Magnum revolver to make effective use of a bullet weighing more than 240-250 grains. (Ever wonder why the heaviest .44 caliber Silhouette/Match bullet made by Sierra weighed only 250 grains?)

Quote Originally Posted by 44man
    ...ME and MV has never killed anything, only boolit work in the animal does...
    I'm sorry you have an aversion to the math, but KE and M are but mere descriptors of that "boolit work" you mention. I kind of like them because by consulting a few figures and tables by someone who's been there already, I can keep from wasting my time.

As for posting my targets, well, you wouldn't be impressed. Except for the 7mm Mag elk gun, I don't have telescopes screwed to the top of any of my guns. Besides, you'd have no way of knowing how close I really was to the target.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a "calculable" answer for J and BN's question. What I observe is that revolvers (and autopistols) use a twist rate sometimes far faster than what is needed to gyroscopically stabilize their bullets in flight, and I assume there must be--or have previously been--a reason for doing so.

Colt cap-and-ball revolvers used 1-16" twists, for *some* reason.......their usual projectiles were roundballs. Muzzle-loading rifles use a 1-60" to 1-72" twist for roundball shooting.

44 Magnum revolvers use(d) a 1-16" to 1-20" twist, while Marlin used a 1-38" twist (leftover from the 44-40 WCF) in its rifles so chambered.

9mm and 40 S&W often use a ridiculously fast 4 turns/meter or 1-10" twist to launch their short-for-caliber bullets. A slower twist rate can easily stabilize such bullets, and often results in a more accurate pistol/ammo equation. Still, a majority of makers insist on the fast-twist pitch rates in their bottomfeeders.

The whole answer might be something along the lines of "We've done it that way since 18-ought-whenever, nobody complains, so we continue to do so." One of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of things. I, for one, would like to hear from a ballistician or firearms engineer on this subject of twist rates. Much of it makes little sense to me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    9.3X62AL,

I don't really care about the calculated twist rate because I can depend on everybody here to get "real world" examples of what works or don't work. It is just kind of strange that you have all those the long barrel folk that seem pretty dependent on twist calculation for their Bergers and A-MAXs and MatchKings when they order the barrel to build their one-holers. You would think that this day and age, somebody would have developed a twist formula for handgun length barrels. I have been away from shooting/reloading for over 20 years and I am finally ready and able to get back in the "bang" of things. But I would of thought by now that there would be there would have been a formula floating around somewhere. I just don't make much sense to for a revolver's twist to be around twice that of what the calculated twist is for rifles. I will take the all experience and knowledge here anyday!!

Quote Originally Posted by jandbn View Post
    ...I would of thought by now that there would be there would have been a formula floating around somewhere. I just don't make much sense to for a revolver's twist to be around twice that of what the calculated twist is for rifles...
    Here's one for ya...

Suppose you were chambering a .44 Spl round in your Ruger SBH, and the characteristics of that .44 spl round were such that the bullet length was 0.790" --like the 250 gr. RCBS Keith bullet in my hand right now-- and the velocity was a typical old school .44 spl velocity of about 750 fps. Plug those numbers into this Greenhill calculator...

http://kwk.us/twist.html

...and see what pops out. While you're there, scroll down and read the bit about velocity: If you have to adjust the "constant" from 150 to 180 to compensate for really fast velocities, it makes sense that you would have to lower it for slower ones. This formula does that.

[edit] Here's another one that validates the 1:20 SBH twist. Again, consider our .44 Spl loaded with a Keith bullet to 750 fps...

http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/index.htm (click on "Calculate Optimum Twist Rate" and scroll down.)

Just out of curiosity, I plugged in my custom .444 Marlin boolit, a 405 gr unit that measures 1.125" in length. In my Winchester, it gets tossed out at 1800 FPS. The online calculator indicates a happy twist rate of 1:24...
    Last edited by S.R.Custom; 08-08-2009 at 02:25 AM.

Banned

your loosing track of one important fact. Cast bullets are used in big game hunting because they penetrate the best of any bullet. But theres a limit to the velocity you can use to get this great penetration. We done a pile of testing and about 13-1400 fps is the limit to what most cast bullets can be shot at before they start deforming on impact. If a bullet deforms in any way on impact penetration will suffer dramaticaly. So in the case of a 44 mag a guy with a good gun can push a 300 grain to these velocity levels. To push a 250 to 1500 is counter productive. All its doing is increasing recoil and decreasing penetration. I get guys all the time claiming they use a certain load or gun because it shoots flatter. THe 454s and 460s are good examples. They may shoot a tad flatter out past a 100 yards just like using a light fast bullet in the 44s will shoot a bit flatter but past a 100 yards no handgun is flat shooting and they all demand you learn where your load hits so to me it doesnt matter if it hits 10 inches low or 15 inches low. I have to compensate anyway. I also beleive theres not a dozen handgunners in the US that have any bussiness shooting live game past a 100 yards with even a scoped revolver. Theres just to many variables in the field when hunting that can cause a blown shot and a wounded animal. So the least important thing to me when working up a hunting load for a handgun is trajectory and if i was going to shoot a deer or bear or pig at 200 yards id rather have the heavier bullet to insure deep penetration then a couple inches of trajectory i can conpensate for myself.. to me where the 44 really comes into its own is with a 300 grain bullet at about 1200fps. That load will take any game animal on earth and has taken them. It is mild recoiling, It will break big bone and still penetrate. It will shoot accurately and shoot flat enough for any work im going to do with a handgun.

Banned

Lloyd, you said it better then I could.
    One reason for the short barrel to need a faster twist is the velocity limit. If a boolit needs a certain RPM range to be stable and accurate at all ranges, what comes out of the short barrel still needs to be close to what comes out of a rifle.
    The faster twist allows a lower velocity to be used along with lower pressures and lets one find the sweet spot without over loading.
    Yet, if you want to push the boolit some more from the revolver, it will still be stable when too slow of a twist is just starting to get stable.
    That is why the .45 Ruger has a 1 in 16" because it is a slow round to start with. Go to a rifle and 1 in 20" to 1 in 25" would work better but to go to 1 in 38" makes it so you can't shoot the boolit fast enough for long range stability due to case capacity and pressures.
    Marlin got so many complaints about the .444 because even it would not spin up a heavy boolit so they changed it to a 1 in 20". But the .44 mag just can't get anywhere near the velocity needed yet they left it 1 in 38". That makes it a light boolit shooter and maybe a round ball is better!
    Yes, some pencil neck at a desk used straight Greenhill for the guns.
    Now there is much talk about changing figures and you can make it match about anything you want to by starting with the twist you have and working backwards so you can prove it is right. Are you proving anything? Will it work for all calibers? NO, best to just dump Greenhill instead of making it match your gun.
    The proof is what the gun actually does and I would never give up the fast BFR twists for anything. When a revolver can whip the pants off of a rifle at 500 meters and shoot a 5/16" group at 50, don't even suggest it to me!
    Supermag, if you work at it, you can prove Greenhill for my 1 in 14" twist!

Boolit Master

I've been following this thread with interest although I don't usually think this deep. Before I list some articles I'm aware of, I need to state that I don't understand half of what is presented. I am more mathematically challenged than most who have an engineering degree.

Precision Shooting magazine has had several articles recently concerning twist. The subject deals with twist in rifles, not handguns. I don't have a scanner, so I can't send them to anyone, but if you can find these articles, they might shed some light. I say "might" because, as I said, I don't understand half of what is presented.

Precision Shooting: "New Twist Rule": Part 1 &2, February,2008 and March, 2008

Precision Shooting: "How Good are Simple Rules For Estimating Rifling Twist": June, 2009

John
    W.TN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest although I don't usually think this deep. Before I list some articles I'm aware of, I need to state that I don't understand half of what is presented. I am more mathematically challenged than most who have an engineering degree.

Precision Shooting magazine has had several articles recently concerning twist. The subject deals with twist in rifles, not handguns. I don't have a scanner, so I can't send them to anyone, but if you can find these articles, they might shed some light. I say "might" because, as I said, I don't understand half of what is presented.

Precision Shooting: "New Twist Rule": Part 1 &2, February,2008 and March, 2008

Precision Shooting: "How Good are Simple Rules For Estimating Rifling Twist": June, 2009

John
    W.TN
    You have joined my club! Math sucks. Some have it and some don't, I sure don't! Deep thinking other then the mechanical stuff never happens here.
    Is there a link to read that stuff?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast