Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 32 S&W long loads with Trail boss

Boolit Mold

32 S&W long loads with Trail boss

Could someone suggest a load for 32 S&W long 100 grain LRNFP bullet using Trail Boss (or Titegroup) to be fired in a modern 6" revolver? Published data is scarce and I'm looking for personal experience in this regard. Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    It depends a little on your definition of a modern revolver, but assuming you actually mean a revolver made in the last 50 years of quality manufacture, then a 100 grain bullet over 2.1 grains of titegroup has done well for me.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks so much! I bought an AlfaProj Czech, so should be OK. Any suggestions for Trail boss? Much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Gotcha. I've only seen the Alfa Project guns online, but I'm pretty sure if I run across one in the wild for a decent price it'll follow me home.

No input on the TB front I'm afraid, I never got around to developing .32 loads with it, but I'm sure someone here has.

What bullet mold are you using? the RCBS 98 grain "SWC" pretty closely matches your description for the bullet. If that's it, Id bet you'll be happy with the outcome.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again. I had a very hard time finding any load data. I load several other handgun calibers with TB. But, I have some Titegroup and after your input, I will just go with it. I bought the bullets from our local store, was a little surprised they even stocked it! Not sure about the brand, would have to go down in the garage to look!

Boolit Master
    With Trailboss, you can take a case, draw a line on the interior where the base of your bullet would be seated, fill the case to that point with Trailboss, and then weight the charge. Your starting load would be 70% of whatever number you got, and max load would be 95% of that weight. DO NOT compress Trailboss.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks NZ. You've had personal experience with Titegroup and that's what I will go with first. I'll keep you posted on my results

Boolit Mold
    I have a GP 100 327 Federal Magnum with a 4.2" barrel. My best results with 32 S&W long were with 2.5 grains of Trail Boss and 78 grain lead round nose bullet. I tried Hp-38, Tite Group, and Universal. All powders except the Trail Boss had unburnt powder residue.
    The Trail Boss also had the best grouping.
    I like shooting these rounds. 32 S&W and 32 S&W long.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

I have chambered a single shot rifle for this cartridge, would the loads for pistol be okay for a rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    cplbld,

With Titegroup and 100 grain bullet, one of my more current manuals lists a starting load of 1.8 and a max load of 2.1. The manual does not list a load for Trailboss.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master
    From my own testing of Bullseye vs. Trail Boss:

32 S&W Long
    my own testing
    Bullet: 98 grain lead semi-wadcutter

S&W 32 Hand Ejector 5th Change
    98 grain lead swc:
    fps
    2.0 grains - Bullseye = 659, 642, 665
    2.1 grains - Bullseye = 694, 681, 689
    2.2 grains - Bullseye = 625, 757, 760
    Fiocchi Wad-cutters = 560, 587, 597, 608
    S&W Model 631 4"

fps
    1.5 grains - Trail Boss = 527, 530, 555, 511, 493,
    2.0 grains - Trail Boss = 694, 687, 645, 705, 673
    * 2.0 grains of Trail Boss comes to bullet base
    fps
    2.0 grains - Bullseye = 559, 641, 672
    2.1 grains - Bullseye = 636, 681, 684
    2.2 grains - Bullseye = 702, 741, 721

Boolit Mold
    This is info from Hodgdon web site.

IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS
    FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL.

1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location.
    Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will
    be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
    3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once
    found, the fun begins!

Hopefully this helps.