Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Accursed Glue boolits for quiet plinking

Boolit Buddy

Accursed Glue boolits for quiet plinking

The weather has been awful, so I've been in the reloading room. I came up with an accurized hot glue bullet to shoot with primers only. Very quiet and because of the .22 pellet in the nose they are very accurate.

I simply dropped a pellet in a bullet mold, squeezed it closed, and shot hot glue in.

They load from the magazine just fine, but of course won't cycle with no powder.

I'm thinking this would work well for other handgun calibers. I will likely try some 9mm Luger next.

Boolit Master
    I was just thinking about trying that with BBs a week or so ago. Just had not got around to trying it.
    Cool that ya decided to actually get down to doing it & letting us know.

Thanks for sharing your doins & now I am gonna have to get off my butt & do it too.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have been doing the extra weight in the nose of of HMG cast boolits for many years. Definitely increases the accuracy and punch of the HMG. Just be careful....they DO go thru steel garage doors. Don’t ask me why I know!

I use 22 air pellets in 9mm & 38 cal and 000 balls in 45 cal.

Banger

I have shot .30 cal round buckshot in my Mosin with just primers. Go through one side of a cardboard box and bounce around inside. Reasonably accurate.

Glue bullets I tried with my .32sw long fractured badly on impact. But they were not melted, just cut chunks off the stick and stuck in case.

You guys oil your molds so they don't stick?

I guess I could probably try the .30 cal ball with just a little hot melt for a drive band huh?

May have to think about that one.

Just be sure to do this outdoors or in an area with good ventilation. That smoke you see is from lead styphnate (primer compound). I made some 38 Special hot glue bullets to shoot in the garage but after I saw all the smoke it generated and knew it was all from the primer I quit. Seating the bullets all the way down against the primer gave the best results. They punched through 1 wall of a cardboard box.

I recall that yes, oiling the cavities made the bullets come out easily and I believe cooling the mold sped up the process.

Boolit Master
    I am gonna try the BB in the nose, but I think I am gonna make WCs too since i have the mold as well & see how they do also.

Looking forward to trying this. I just have to remember where I put my glue gun & glue...
    As ya get older then ya get C.R.S. I'm told, I think... LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I have some .22 cal lead bb's that would work perfect for this....
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I read "accursed" and saw a Fri the 13th date on the OP, was wondering for a second there till I read Accurized :P Do we have a boolet exorciser here? LOL

I've used wax slugs before, adding weight seems like it'd help a lot in accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have shot .30 cal round buckshot in my Mosin with just primers. Go through one side of a cardboard box and bounce around inside. Reasonably accurate.

Glue bullets I tried with my .32sw long fractured badly on impact. But they were not melted, just cut chunks off the stick and stuck in case.

You guys oil your molds so they don't stick?

I guess I could probably try the .30 cal ball with just a little hot melt for a drive band huh?

May have to think about that one.
    Yes you must oil your molds. I use PAM. And COOL the mold with ice cubes rubbed along the bottom and sides. You want a COLD mold. And use a HMG gun that has a trigger feed so you can injection mold the slugs. Pushsing a stick in with your thumb like on those real cheap guns will just not get you there. Get a good HMG gun and you make good boolits!

OMG........OIL in a mold!!!!!!!! (Hair on fire with some out there!!!!!)

No, it does not ruin you molds. Just wipe out the PAM with paper towels and Q-Tips, pre-heat on a hot plate and start casting Pb again. No wrinkles at all. Oil is long gone by the time you start to cast. Oil does NOT cause wrinlkes.......cold molds and under-temp Pb cause wrinkles.

I have never EVER cleaned and scrubed molds (new or old)......EVER! Not needed.

Hear me now and believe me later. I have been casting HMG boolits with my molds for many years with absolutely ZERO wrinkles or problems when going back to Pb casting.

Banger

Boolit Buddy
    Spellchecker got me and you can't edit.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I was just sorta amused by "accursed", if it happens again we can call those Winchester guys {from Supernatural} I guess.

Boolit Master
    Great Thread!
    I have a few bags of pellets left from when I used to load for trap shooting and hunting loads so I don't have to use my air gun pellets. A no. 4 pellet works fine or a couple number 6 dropped in the hot glue mold adds just enough weight for stability.
    Thanks guys!