Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hollowpoint pin for Winchester mould....Hard to find?

Hollowpoint pin for Winchester mould....Hard to find?

I have a nice old and scarce Winchester mould in 50-110 win. that is missing the hollow point pin. Darn, they must be scarce.

Boolit Master
    I inherited a couple of old ideal molds that were of the early Keith style 44s single cavity but one was missing a HB pin and the other was missing its HP pin. I was able to fashion one using my cordless drill as a makeshift lathe and very carefully and slowly removing metal till the long locked up in the molds perfectly. Might be worth giving a shot.

(Month or so after I made my pins my dad reported finding the pins, my grandpa had just stores elsewhere so now I have two sets)

Boolit Master

I've made hundreds of HP pins for missing HP mould pins and HB plugs as well with the electric drill as a lathe and a flat file as a cutting tool. Appropriate diameter shanked bolts from the hardware are good starting places if availability of stock is the problem. Make pin, 1/2 the length of the bullet. The diameter of the cavity pin that works for me is 1/3 the diameter of the bullet rounded off to the nearest common diameter drill size. Rifle bullets will need a smaller diameter HP cavity pin than those for revolvers due to velocity.
    Should take you about an hour to make a pin.
    You'll need material, electric drill, micrometer, flat bastard file, 4-40 tap and appropriate drill size. Assorted 4-40 pan head screws for attaching wooden knob. Knobs can be obtained from Wally World's hobby section of Hobby Lobby.
    Give it a try. Thousands of HP moulds out there that have been separated from their pins. Gives you satisfaction to get one going again and producing good bullets./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

Get a hold of Eric at hollowpointmolds. He can make you whatever you need.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made one for a Lyman 358439 out of brazing rod and pinned it to a wooden knob. After it got a good patina on the brass there was no tinning issue.

Robert