Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got bugs?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    About the only things I can think of are moths on nights here when I open the doors by a light. No mosquitos. Gee, I guess I'm lucky.
    Uh, you are forgetting the three reasons my ex-wife and daughter will never live in Arizona again; the centipedes, scorpions, and the tarantulas.

This is the front door of my house during the monsoon season when the tarantulas come out and are everywhere...

Attachment 218551

And an internet photo of the super creepy centipedes that randomly appear in your living areas:

Attachment 218552

And of course the scorpions...

Attachment 218555

Ya'll got your bug listings all wrong. The absolute worst insect to come out of spring in the south is CHIGGERS! aka No Seeums! Because you can't even see um and they leave nasty super itchy small bites like a mosquito but in every private, warm or sweaty part of your body. UHHHHGG! Nasty!
    Those from the South know exactly what I'm talking about. Let the Bodily Insecticiding Begin!

Here in SW Pa and the tri state area in general about the only thing that's is really pain are the ticks . For about the last 10 years they are everywhere and can't even go in the yard without getting some on you .i spend my child-young adulthood tromping in the woods and fields I never had a single one on me . never even knew what one looked like back then .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

My brothers were going on a scout canoe trip when I was younger. I went with dad to look for a camping spot they could pull off into. We walked into tall grass to our waists... got back to the car and started picking ticks... we both stripped to our underwear in the middle of the road to get rid of the 100+ ticks on each of us! Scratched that spot for camping and found them a nice sand beach...

Contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever 4 years ago. Sick, sick, sick for 4 days. Blood test confirmation.
    Since then, I've found ticks crawling on me too many times to count. Haven't been bitten once.

Moderator Emeritus

The wet side of the divide gets yellow jackets bad. We get mosquitos, ticks and wasps, with no see-ums on the high-line.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I guess in this end of Tennessee we have a good mixture of gnawers, bitters, suckers, stingers, and just plain annoyances.

We have biting gnats, a horse and deer fly season, at least three different mosquitos, a scourge of brown recluse spiders plus black widows, brown dog, deer, and lone star ticks, hornets, several kinds of wasps and yellow jackets, red velvet ants (actually a wingless wasp), God help you if you step on one of those bear footed, fleas, and Satan's spawn- chiggers!

You could contract, Lymes, Rocky Mt.Spotted Feaver, West Nile, St. Louis Encephalitis, rotting flesh, and I'm sure I'm leaving out others!

January and February you get a reprieve!
    Permethrin will stop the mosquitos, ticks, spiders, and horse flys, but won't stop chiggers. The mosquitos around here seem to suck up Thermacell like a bunch of stoners shotgunning weed!
    You're on your own with ones that sting!

Deer flies, Black Flies the first will follow you, the second don't suck blood they slice you open to lap it up and seem to like beaches. Ticks of course. Then we have at least 4 main types of mosquitos. You know how a heavy snow can reflect your headlights back so you can't see? Have had the skeeters thick enough to do the same thing, couldn't see fence line at 200 feet for the "haze" in the headlights. That takes the tree and mud mosquitos hatching while the stagnant water ones are still out. It happens. Love it when we get a frost that nails the first hatching that sets them back for the whole year.

No-see-em's or gnats get into the act at some point. We have wasps and hornets but of the two ground hornets are the worst, mean as a pissed off ex wife with a dumb attorney. They swarm after you in mass, and can repeatedly give a venomous bite. Finding one of their nests on a riding mower or lawn tractor is most unpleasant.

Yeah those desert states don't have mosquitos but venomous spiders, snakes, scorpions and half your plants can bite. Oh did I mention ya'll get to enjoy those fire ants too.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

You boy's need to visit South Louisiana...all we got are pretty butterflies and a few honey bees.
    Nothing down here bites...never ! I swear !!
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You boy's need to visit South Louisiana...all we got are pretty butterflies and a few honey bees.
    Nothing down here bites...never ! I swear !!
    Really? Way I heard it half of what you put on the table would eat you or kill you given half a chance, the rest doubles as bait to catch the stuff that would eat you or kill you. :-p Some folks claim the modern tennis racket started out life as a Louisiana mosquito swatter. Designed to be heavier than the badminton rackets because they bent if you connected good and solid with two skeeters instead of one.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Gee,sounds like ole GW is"spinning a windy"there.When my family moved to Fl before
    our(the USA)involement in the war(1916),My Dad said Grand Dad tried to keep a mosquito for a pet.Did`nt work.It kept chewing through the chain.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Deer flies, Black Flies the first will follow you, the second don't suck blood they slice you open to lap it up and seem to like beaches. Ticks of course. Then we have at least 4 main types of mosquitos. You know how a heavy snow can reflect your headlights back so you can't see? Have had the skeeters thick enough to do the same thing, couldn't see fence line at 200 feet for the "haze" in the headlights. That takes the tree and mud mosquitos hatching while the stagnant water ones are still out. It happens. Love it when we get a frost that nails the first hatching that sets them back for the whole year.

No-see-em's or gnats get into the act at some point. We have wasps and hornets but of the two ground hornets are the worst, mean as a pissed off ex wife with a dumb attorney. They swarm after you in mass, and can repeatedly give a venomous bite. Finding one of their nests on a riding mower or lawn tractor is most unpleasant.

Yeah those desert states don't have mosquitos but venomous spiders, snakes, scorpions and half your plants can bite. Oh did I mention ya'll get to enjoy those fire ants too.

Neighbors kid was attacked by ground hornets, 5 gallons of diesel and gas down the hole followed by a road flare chucked in from 50 feet back...

Moderator Emeritus

I stepped into the green bean patch last summer and forgot the 98% deet... looked down and I literally had 200 mosquitoes on my legs... and my country has had west nile outbreaks most years...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    MrWolf - having been through that state I'm suspecting they either mean napalm (ignited o'course), Botulinis toxin, or perhaps radioactive waste; Unless there's something more toxic that I am aware of (quite possible.) Hmmm it could be poison dart frogs' poison, that'd do it too.

Boolit Master
    ..... and they had to outlaw DDT!

Three44s

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mr_Sheesh

Boolit Master
    Hi three44`s.Yep,thanks to a book full of lies titled"Silent Spring".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12