RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 500 gr cast boolits in a lever marlin GBL?

Boolit Bub

500 gr cast boolits in a lever marlin GBL?

I know it seems a bit over kill but thought of loading some just for fun seen acme has coated 500 gr but when looking through my manuals all the 500gr load data puts them way past the 2.55 coal for a lever gun anybody got some experience they would like to share?

Boolit Master
    Yes, the 500gr bullets are too long to feed through the loading gate / magazine. You might be able to drop them into the breach one at a time but not as a repeater.

Boolit Master
    I load the 535 gr. Lyman Postell in my 1895 Marlin .45-70. Of the three molds I have, it was easily the most accurate. Had to be single loaded, but since it was only used for SASS side matches that was not a problem. It's a real thumper though. I replaced the magazine spring and follower with a steel bar to add some weight. That ended up ripping the dovetail right out of its mount.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I've got a Marlin 1895 and have a mold that drops 500 grn boolits. I can load them into the magazine and I can chamber/fire them. BUT if I PC them, they are too big and will not chamber properly.
    I have only shot a few of these and I am very likely to NOT shoot any more. I got a great mold from NOE that is the 350 ranch dog. That is a great mold and I got a really good load for it. I think that's it for me and 45/70....

For reference my mold makes these:
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-500B-D.png

Boolit Master
    Dependent on the design, it is entirely possible to assemble heavy weight loads for Marlin levers. I have a 545 grain RF mold that feeds super slick in my Marlin Cowboy. Just seat deep enough to get the correct OAL and adjust your load accordingly.

Boolit Master
    RCBS makes a mold for a 500gr bullet that is designed to be loaded to 2.55" long. I've had the mold for years but have never tried it. The only load data I have comes from an older book back when RCBS published load data.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I have figured I would have to stick to 405 gr cast bullets cause everything I have found in manuals list loads with a longer coal closest info I have found is hodgdon 485gr trapdoor load data with 2.54 coal.

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS bullet mentioned will work but the space left for powder is not that great. As a consequence pressure rises quite quickly. Having said that you should able to reach 1500 fps. I've used that bullet in a 45/90 where you have a bit more room for powder and can safely achieve higher velocities.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JT78 View Post
    Yeah I have figured I would have to stick to 405 gr cast bullets cause everything I have found in manuals list loads with a longer coal closest info I have found is hodgdon 485gr trapdoor load data with 2.54 coal.
    I use Cast Performance Bullets 460 gr WFNGC in my 45-70. Feeds no problem, and it thumps at both ends.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.