Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cleaning guns after shooting PC boolits

Boolit Master

Cleaning guns after shooting PC boolits

Ok so I have been getting started shooting PC boolits. The last time I went to the range I shot PC boolits. I cleaned my Redhawk with #9 as normal.
    I took it out today and shot only traditional lubed boolits. I was using a slightly reduced load (not hot at all).
    My cases kept sticking in my chambers to the point i had to pop the extractor to get them to budge. I Figured this had to be PC residue. I got a can of lacquer thinner and scrubbed the cylinder with it on a bronze brush and that seems to have taken care of it. I just thought I would post this in case some one else is having the same trouble.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

There is an article on Powder Coating authored by John Haviland in the February 2018 (Number 312) issue of Handloader, I recommend reading, if you had not.. In the article he notes some of the "minuses" (my word) of the process, from his experience of gumming up seating dies, as well as adding to the bullet's diameter. He noted, as an example, his use of Harbor Freight red powder "put a .003-inch thick coat on the forward section of RCBS 7mm-145-SIL bullets making the bullets too wide to fit in new 7mm-08 rifles." I had thought of, perhaps, trying PC -- my major reason not being my divestment of both Lyman and Star equipment. However, reading your post, and Mr. Haviland's article -- I may change my thoughts on it. Your election to use lacquer thinner seams a smart one!
    geo

There should not be any "residue" from shooting pc'd bullets. If there is, the PC was not cured correctly. I find both my rifles and pistols almost need no cleaning, they are that clean. I only shoot cast in 38,357,9mm,40,44,45acp,45 colt,30-30,308mx,444 and 35 rem., so I guess it could happen in other calibers.

Boolit Master
    Have shot thousands of powder coated cast bullets that also have a home made gas check installed, never have had any lead or powder coat residue. With proper curing he powder coat will leave no residue in the gun.
    With the 45-70 have shot 50 rounds at a single seating at the range and came home with a very clean Handi-Rifle.

Boolit Master

going to echo the above two replies

can you give us a quick rundown of your baking methods, times, temps, etc?

another way to check is to repeat the pc bullets then lubed bullet events and see if you get sticking again. might have to clean the cylinder again but would confirm that's what causing it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

forgot to mention I've been shooting them for over 4 years and not had this problem

32, 38/357, 45 Colt & ACP, 44 Mag: are do fine
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    There is an article on Powder Coating authored by John Haviland in the February 2018 (Number 312) issue of Handloader, I recommend reading, if you had not.. In the article he notes some of the "minuses" (my word) of the process, from his experience of gumming up seating dies, as well as adding to the bullet's diameter. He noted, as an example, his use of Harbor Freight red powder "put a .003-inch thick coat on the forward section of RCBS 7mm-145-SIL bullets making the bullets too wide to fit in new 7mm-08 rifles." I had thought of, perhaps, trying PC -- my major reason not being my divestment of both Lyman and Star equipment. However, reading your post, and Mr. Haviland's article -- I may change my thoughts on it. Your election to use lacquer thinner seams a smart one!
    geo
    The added thickness is a reality. Gummed up seating dies is far from reality in my experience, are you sure he wasn't talking about tumble lube? If he was talking about PC gumming up dies, his technique is way off.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    The PC boolits I had shot were full 44 magnum loads. I have shot them in a .45 lc without issue.

My process is...
    with clean never handled boolits swirled in a #5 tub for about 30 seconds without BBs.
    They coat easy and fast.
    I stand them up on a small baking tray with a thin silicon mat under them wearing un powdered nitrile gloves dusted with the powder coat . I find this takes no longer than breaking them apart wile burning my fingers and I don't loose any boolits.
    Then in a preheated toaster oven set and checked with my temp gun to be pretty close to 400 deg (every place is a little bit different temp).
    I then slide them in and wait for them to get glossy maybe 4 min or so.
    then bake for 20 min.
    remove and air cool.
    Hammer test and acetone test show no chipping or color transfer.
    size to .429 (snug cylinder fit) unlubed with a LEE push through seizer.
    There is no way these boolits would gum up the dies, they did add diameter but that sized away without issue.

I was thinking at first I was getting some high pressure signs but upon comparing the primers I now think I was wrong about that. They chrono about the same as traditional lubed boolits 1350 fps , Accuracy is the same quarter sized one hole groups at 12 yards and pressures do not seem lower.
    But they do seem louder than traditional lubed.
    I think I may just be pushing the PC past it limits in this configuration. Like I said the .45 loved PC (the same kind and process) with out issue.
    Last edited by buck1; 04-16-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

I must be missing the weight of the bullet..

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    geo
    Maybe the bullet he is referencing has a bore ride section that fits just perfect as cast, and then is too large once PC ??

All too often that nose dia is too small, so if it were too small (and and as cast dia will change with choice of alloy too)making it bigger with PC would be a plus not a minus.

I could see him maybe having buildup issues if his case prep caused him to shave PC on some rounds when seating too maybe. But it is worth cleaning bullet seating dies no matter what kind of bullet you choose. Dillon makes their seating dies come apart super easy for just that reason.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player