WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 94 AE optic and front sight issue

Boolit Mold

Winchester 94 AE optic and front sight issue

Hi Folks! First post after lots of great reads.

I recently purchased a Win 94 AE Ranger model, early 90s build I believe.

I ended up putting an optic on it using the recommended top mount (not side mount) weaver bases and all went well. However, when I look through the optic the front sight is offset and to the right side in the sight window.

Is this expect? Is there an issue with the mounts or receiver?

Boolit Grand Master

The front sight should appear to be in the vertical plane of the optic. I would hazard a guess that something isn't right.

I've had a several AE M94s over the years and first tried the Weaver bases and rings. The were just ok as they were a bit bulky and mounted the scopes higher than needed. However, with the 2.5X scope I use the front sight was in the vertical plane on all of them.

I then tried a set of Leupold bases on my last one (my keeper), a Black Shadow rifle. Those Leupold bases allow the use of Leupold low rings with the 2.5X Weaver scope. The height of the scope is perfect for the stock comb height so the rifle shoulders fast with scope acquisition almost instantaneous. With the windage adjustment of the rear base I moved the vertical crosshair right over the top of the front sight.

Attachment 218477
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Welcome! By optic, are you talking about a reflex sight, red dot or scope? With low power, it's normal to see the front sight and it's seldom where you expect it to be. As long as the irons and "optic" are both sighted in- no worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The optic is a scope, vortex diamond back 1.75-5x

Those leupold bases look way better than the weaver.

I will try to get a picture of the front post through the scope. It is in the vertical plane on the right hand side. I do not remember what power the scope was on. It is most likely the lowest.

I wasn’t surprised to see the front sight post but I did not expect it to be so far away from the crosshairs. Btw... I have not sighted in the scope yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Used weaver bases on my trapper with a 3x9x40 scope didn't have any problem leaving the original sghs in place.

Boolit Mold
    I went back an spent some more time looking through the scope and I think it may be do to cheek position and parallax. Since it is not sighted in, I dialed the recital left and right and managed the move it to either side of the front sight post.

Here's what I was seeing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wnxGulG.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	218618

Quote Originally Posted by mswya View Post
    I went back an spent some more time looking through the scope and I think it may be do to cheek position and parallax. Since it is not sighted in, I dialed the recital left and right and managed the move it to either side of the front sight post.

If you weren't sighted in and it was off...then it was likely the scope adjustments were off. Take it to the range and sight it in. The offset in your pic doesn't look toooooo far off for an unadjusted scope.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    I used the mirror trick to center the reticle in the scope. That’s always a good place to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mswya View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wnxGulG.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	218618
    Oh yeah, the classic front sight pointing to 11:55 or 12:05. Breed standard for Remlins and late model 94's. Any decent 'smith can crank the barrel over a little to correct it, I had Williams Gunsight do the one I had.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.