RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Softening Magma green

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

Softening Magma green

I did search, but didn't find a good answer. I have somehow in the past acquired a box of sticks of Magma green lube. These seem to be nearly as hard as wood. I mostly shoot .45 Colt cowboy loads, so I want to soften this stuff down. Can I just cut it with beeswax to get it down to something I can run through my sizers easily? I don't mind using the heater to get it to flow, but I didn't want to destroy any properties of the magma when I cut it, such as making it not stick to the boolits anymore or something.
    Thanks,
    Chuck.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Or offer to trade for a soft wax lube and leave the formula alone and let folks that want that kind of lube make use of it.

Or blend a small amount with 50/50 from one of the trusted vendors and see how that works out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can I just cut it with beeswax to get it down to something I can run through my sizers easily?

Beeswax will not soften your lube.

You can mix your hard lube with 20 % Lucas Red & Tacky grease by weight. That will soften the lube.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 04-15-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Master

If you warm up you sizer to about 100-110 degrees the Magma lube will flow just fine and be perfect for your cowboy loads. You will also find the gun not all gunked up like it is when shooting a box or two of beeswax/alox lubed bullets. I know many people look down their noses at hard lubes but since you have the Magma lube, give it a try. You may like it. A quick and easy lube heater is "C" clamp your luber to your bench with a piece of steel or aluminum plate under it. Place an iron on the plate on a very low setting( just barely on) and warm up the sizer so it's warm to the touch. Lube your bullets. Good luck
    PS. You won't hurt the lube by heating it
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the ideas!
    I do use a PID controlled heater base, so it's not a problem to get it hotter than my usual temps to see if it'll lube the cowboy bullets. I had only thought about diluting it to get it to melt at my usual temp, but I can experiment to see what kind of heat it needs, as long as it doesn't just ooze all over the nose of the bullets as they pass. I'll work up slow.

Boolit Master

In the past I have had good luck using hard lube on Light bullet loads and high velocity all in warm weather, but not medium loads. I don't have the answer to that and didn't have the time to explore further. Just my 2 cents worth

Boolit Master

The Magma lube does not have to be very warm to flow well, right around 100 degrees. I have used it with good results up through magnum loads in the .357/.44 mag and in pistol cartridge lever guns up to 1300-1400fps.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

I'm only looking to take a 280gr boolit about 950fps and I know nearly any lube would do that. It just seemed like this lube was much harder than any others i had used and so I thought of softening it a bit before applying. But if it'll do okay as-is if I just turn up the heater some more, I'm all good with that. Thanks!

Boolit Master

I have mixed Magnma Green with regular Carnuba red 50/50 with good results.