RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a little something i been playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    these are of my older design. the grey plate i got in my hand is a homemade graphite electrode for a water battery.

Attachment 218452

and this is the circuit running a small 3.5Vdc LED on a bottle of water. just ordinary tap water.
    Attachment 218453
    Don't you need two different metals + water?
    When in doubt tell the truth. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by desiko View Post
    Aluminum/air ?
    residual electricity in the filter capacitor that is inside the core..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by desiko View Post
    Don't you need two different metals + water?
    nope. the cathode can be carbon or graphite while the anode can be magnesium.

Boolit Master
    Neat!!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

With a motor you don't need the battery. Just spin the motor and it continues to run.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Not necessary to be under power lines. The electric field potential of the atmosphere is on the order of a couple hundred volts/meter, which means if you are 6 feet tall, there can be as much as 500-600 volts potential difference between the top of your head and the soles of your feet on a good day. Weather is important, dry cool air is much better than humid air. You can actually obtain measurable current by tying a thin wire to a helium balloon and letting it go up in the air, a couple milliamps, which is all that is need to light an LED. Sounds hokey, but I've done it. You're not going to get rich selling that power back to a utility company though. But it actually is there. There are a host of problems associated with it, such as getting the air to not carry away your balloon. But if you care to repeat Ben Franklin's experiment on a day when NO thunderstorms are around using something conductive with your string such as silk thread or fine wire, you can get enough power to make sparks, charge capacitors, etc. If you want to try this on a day when storm clouds are anywhere in the vicinity, just make sure your things are in order, the life insurance policy is paid up, etc.

Banned
    yea. ya not gonna run your house. not by a long shot.

Boolit Master
    Very neat.

Would be nice to be able to make one that just slowly charges a battery for when a higher power demand was there

Banned
    a little something experimental i have been playing with..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	223570

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	223571

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	223572

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	223573
    it works lots better than the other systems i have been playing with. lots more efficient with a lot less work.. do not even need a core for it. this system does not work like the standard JT circuit setup that most people know, it will not work without a electrolytic capacitor from the emitter to the base side of the resistor. but it will start oscillating at only 300uA, even though the LED does not start glowing till it hits 460uA.. that is 6.3mA shown in the picture.

the center coil is 100 turns of wire wrapped around a 3inch form. the internal coil is then wrapped in insulation tape and a feedback layer is wrapped around the center coil..

doing the math, at 6.3mA draw with a 15,000mAh Alkaline D-Cell battery, that should give about 2,381 hours of run time. that is 100 days or 3.3 months of constant run time.. lots longer if using it only for a couple hours at a time.. this will probably end up in a modified 6Vdc flashlight. instead of a 6V battery ill be using four 15,000mAh D-Cell batteries in parallel and have something that would last 9,524 hours or 396 days nonstop.. if used as a standard flashlight on occasion, lets say for about an hour at a time. 9,524/1=9,524 days. 9,524 days divided by 365 days in a year and we get 26 years b4 the batteries need replacing. this however is impossible as most batteries will run down from internal leak down and **** acid all over long b4 then.

while this all sounds great on paper, a run test is still in order to determine exactly what it will do. the proof is going to be in the pudding..

Banned
    what do yall make of this? voltage increasing instead of falling.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqq294P79ZE

Boolit Master
    I assume this reading is at the LED and not the battery.

Could the storage capacitor be too large for the load? If the load (LED) isn't drawing all the power being generated, the remainder could be stored by the capacitor? A lower value may help prevent this?

As I don't know he circuit, i'm just guessing really.

Banned
    the meter was directly across the battery.

Boolit Master
    Could it be rising as the load decreased as the capacitor was charging then?

That or you have found some new fangled self charging battery

Banned
    it was an odd cookie. it kept up like that for 2-3 hours b4 leveling off for another 30 minutes b4 it started falling off like normal... and here i was getting my hopes up....

Boolit Master
    Most interesting thread.Thanks for posting.This stuff fasinates me to no end.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It'd help me to see a schematic; I have a few thoughts, one's that maybe the transistor is heating a tiny bit and that's changing the voltage it works at? A schematic would help me figure out what's happening a lot better. I know that with some batteries in LM3909 flasher ICs, long ago in the Jurassic, the battery would actually last longer with an LM3909 flasher circuit across it (Somehow the tiny current used makes the battery happy it has a job or something? Maybe it's just Murphy though :P) I mostly do digital stuff though, I am not an Analog guru unlike some people (Bob Pease was a GOOD one, sadly no longer with us.)

Banned
    this is the schematic Mr_Sheesh..

Name:	Modified Joule Thief.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	223635
    the new circuit i built Thursday has over 100 turns of wire and a 100,000ohm potentiometer.

but this here is my latest circuit that i finished a few hours ago.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34RgY83Gq8 this one will run off the input filter capacitor for a good long while after the battery is removed. i can even short the input wires for upwards of 1 minute and the thing will slowly come back on. now if i can just find a more permanent source of power id have it made.. maybe a "Betavoltaic Cell" nuclear battery would work. something that does not put out much current but will last for hundreds of years.. im not really sure what a nightlight with 150 years of run time would be good for though..

it is getting better..

Banned
    want to see something cool? here is one that i just finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRuugLwtQyU

yes it is really running off the heat of my hand at 40mV.. the thing draws so little now to light the LED that it almost will not register on my meter. but i used an old 50 year old Motorola germanium transistor out of a busted Motorola radio. they have a lot lower internal resistance and will work on a lot lower voltages than silicon. but i will not even get into the math on the run time of the system now as it is almost irrelevant. the battery would most likely leak and corrode up b4 it runs down. and also i can now make energy scavenging system to run it off alternate sources of energy.

Banned
    my single battery LED Mag-Lite using the above circuit and an air core transformer.. draws only 32mA off Alkaline D-Cell battery.. using standard 15,000mAh D-Cell Alkaline battery the run time should be 469 hours or 20 days if run for 24 hours a day.. 94 days if only run for 5 hours a night.. 469 days if used for only 1 hour a night.. battery will leak and corrode b4 it runs down if used occasionally like hunting the switch box or to light the path just going to the barn. i got one that uses a C-Cell that uses 2x the power of this light and it still shows 1.5Vdc in the battery after using it off and on for going on 2 years now..

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	224215

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	224216

Name:	3.jpg