RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA 9mm AR

Boolit Master

PSA 9mm AR

Proud new owner of such rifle , question I have do any of you guys or gals run steel case ammo out of your 9mm ARs ??? Seen some good deals and was wanting to give it a go. This is the 16” PSA that uses the glock mags , any input would be appreciated. I’ve cursed some other boards and the answers are all over the place from it’ll blow up your gun to ruin your barrel to break your extractor. Have shot lots of steel
    Case 5.56 7.62x39 and 54 but not much in 9mm and I hear these pistol caliber carbines can be finicky.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 04-22-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy a small sample and give it a try. That’s what I would do if I were curious.

Banned

my full sized cmmg 9mm runs anything including wolf. Ive been struggling a bit with my little 4.5 inch gun though. Its a psa glock lower and an upper and bolt from a different company. I had lots of double feeds and failers to eject well. I have those inexpensive see through mags and thought that was the problem so bought a couple glocks and it still gave me trouble. I got looking at it and the steel piece in the lower that is the ejector was groved all up. Come to find out my bolt was rubbing on it and slowing the bolt so much that it didn't eject and the empty would jam things up. Add to that the bolt I bought (which was suppose to be a premium bolt better then the psa hard rough castings in the grove the ejector runs in). So I took my workshop knife sharpener and used it to sand down and polish the ejector piece and it and a jewelers file to clean the bolt up. It seems to run about everything now and even with the cheap mags. Now I know that isn't answering your question but it might save you a bit of aggravation down the line. I will add to that that my bushmaster 762x39 wasn't the most reliable ar15. It would jam about once every two mags with any loads but absolutely refused to run wolf steel case ammo. Sure do like this little 4.5 in 9mm. Its about as cute as a puppy dog. If I can get it to run a 100 percent (it might now but theres to much snow still to get serious) it will be one of my favorite guns. I doubt ill fool with wolf because for one I cast and load even cheaper then wolf and I did put a reduced power spring kit in it because the trigger was terrible and the reduced hammer spring usually doesnt work well with wolf or milspec primers. I don't blame psa because I didn't use there upper and the 8.5 inch 556 I build with all psa parts runs like a sewing machine. I have ran a mag of wolf through it just because I had them laying around and it ran them just fine.

Boolit Master

I plan to try some and other various brands of steel case, with the new baby coming I may not have the hours for a while to smelt fast and reload so was lookin to get a few cases of cheap ammo so I could still shoot in volume. I have had good luck with the ETS glock mags, seem to run about as good as glock factory for less than half the price. Also I’m newly back into 9mm, haven’t until recently owned a 9mm or load for same in a long time

Boolit Master
    Hey Lloyd, I have been curious about the PSA 9mm for a long time now. Done lots of reading. Seems one is only to use their hybrid bolt carriers in their lowers for clearance issues. I don't know how it affects the pistol, but supposedly their bolt has solved the issue of "do I need a curved hammer or a modified bolt group".

Boolit Buddy
    Different animal completely, but last year I built a PSA 9mm pistol.
    I think it is a 6" barrel.
    Built mine on the dedicated Colt pattern PSA lower.

My pistol seems to eat any and everything I feed it, steel or brass.
    I've read before that the PSA 9mm's that are based on the Glock pattern have many more issues affecting feeding.
    Its been said that the Glock mags just don't present the round to the chamber with the optimal angle.
    Not one single issue with my Colt pattern PSA.

Banned

found my problem! Don't laugh to hard!!!! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-ar15-dumb-___

Boolit Master
    That's funny! Glad you had the wherewithal to give the eye to the bolt. I have been looking at the PSA 9mm too. Hows it been running now the brass is being snagged?

I have heard but can't prove that if you grease the extractor claw you can shoot steel case ammo all you want. Now that you have an extractor haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Ive put maybe 300 rounds through it yesterday and today. Only problem ive seen is feeding the first round out of those cheap aftermarket 32 round mags when I stick a full 32 in them. Load them with 30 and the gun runs like a clock. One thing I would do though is buy the whole thing from psa. that way if you do have problems there going to help you. that and I did have to do quite a bit of work to the bolt and ejector to get it to run smoothly. Probably wouldn't have that problem with there bolt made specifically for that lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    That's funny! Glad you had the wherewithal to give the eye to the bolt. I have been looking at the PSA 9mm too. Hows it been running now the brass is being snagged?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive put maybe 300 rounds through it yesterday and today. Only problem ive seen is feeding the first round out of those cheap aftermarket 32 round mags when I stick a full 32 in them. Load them with 30 and the gun runs like a clock. One thing I would do though is buy the whole thing from psa. that way if you do have problems there going to help you. that and I did have to do quite a bit of work to the bolt and ejector to get it to run smoothly. Probably wouldn't have that problem with there bolt made specifically for that lower.
    I remember back in the day when I was in the USMC, we didn't load the mags up to max capacity for that misfeed reason. Heck I still do it today too.

Go ahead and shoot the steel cased ammo. it works fine. Theoretically if might wear out the extractor a little more soon. But that is like after firing off several thousand rounds or more, usually 10,000 or so. There have been some myths out there about steel cased ammo, but those have all been disproved so far.

I used to have a sks that was notorious for failure to eject and feed with the wolf painted or laquoured steel cases never did hunt any brass rounds for it but I bought a AK and solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

I really don't have a need for steel cased 9mm ammo. Reason I have my two 9mm ARs is because I can load cast bullets in them for about the price of 22 shells. I can shoot 6 9mms loaded like that for the price of one handloaded 5.56 shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I remember back in the day when I was in the USMC, we didn't load the mags up to max capacity for that misfeed reason. Heck I still do it today too.

Go ahead and shoot the steel cased ammo. it works fine. Theoretically if might wear out the extractor a little more soon. But that is like after firing off several thousand rounds or more, usually 10,000 or so. There have been some myths out there about steel cased ammo, but those have all been disproved so far.

Banned

I made a big mistake once. I had a good ak that would run anything. Even had 5 case of wolf steal cased ammo for a stash for it. Thought id upgrade and buy myself an ar15 in 762x39 so traded it off on one. It was a bushmaster factory gun. Biggest *** ive ever owned. probably put 5k through it and id bet I could count on my fingers the times it ran a whole mag without a problem. It absolutely refused to run wolf. Had a mini 14 once in 762x39 that was no better with wolf. Should have kept the ak but thought I wanted the AR because optics mounting and accuracy would be better and id use it for a deer rifle. Sure wish I had my old AK back. Someday in the future I'm going to have to try to find another AK. Heck I still have a set of lonely dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I used to have a sks that was notorious for failure to eject and feed with the wolf painted or laquoured steel cases never did hunt any brass rounds for it but I bought a AK and solved the problem.

Boolit Master

Only reason I’m asking about the steel is the price, been out of the 9mm game for a long time and now that I’m back I’m having trouble finding the time to add a caliber to my casting /reloading schedule with the baby on the way and being the only healthy one currently in a 3 man family business so for around 90 USD per 500 thought I’d try the steel case 9mm out,bought some just haven’t had a range day yet.

It wouldn’t bother me to try it in any of my pistols at the time when I’d hunt on forums for sks issues everyone had trouble with that ammo I’ve run plenty of the Wolf 9 through anyone of 3 guns with no hitch but surely it’d take 500 rounds to determine the ammo is the issue.

Using Tapatalk

My nephew brought in a Palmetto AK 47- it's very nice for an AK and accurate to boot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Only reason I’m asking about the steel is the price, been out of the 9mm game for a long time and now that I’m back I’m having trouble finding the time to add a caliber to my casting /reloading schedule with the baby on the way and being the only healthy one currently in a 3 man family business so for around 90 USD per 500 thought I’d try the steel case 9mm out,bought some just haven’t had a range day yet.
    I have fired quite a few steel cased 9mm ammo in a couple of my pistols and it worked fine for me. I didn't have any problems with the stuff. But since there are several different brands, it is hard to say if some other brand would be a problem or not.

Banned

ya they've been out of stock for a while now. I see they also sell an ar15 762x39 that uses AK magazines. I wonder if they run better then the AR mag lowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My nephew brought in a Palmetto AK 47- it's very nice for an AK and accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    I built an AR15 in 7.62x39 a few years ago.
    Had nothing but feeding problems, until I bought magazines DESIGNED for the x39 round.
    I found CProducts mags and never looked back.
    I bought a half dozen CProducts mags and very one of them run smooth as glass.

You MUST use proper magazines for the 7/62x39 or you WILL have problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast