Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: making a anealing oven

making a anealing oven

well I am at the point of having to anneal my 22lr brass that I am going to make 223 projectiles with. so I talked to Bryan from BTSNIPER who I got my swaging dies from the other day he tells me that he once used a bbq grill a gas one to anneal brass with . that got me to thinking I have all the parts and steel to make one. so today I got all but the door made on it I have to do that yet. also need to find a tray for it to put the brass on. I think it going to work just fine for what I need I will update this thread when I test it out and let everyone know how it works out D Crockett

Another thing to be on the lookout for is a used small pottery kiln. It will get up to a high enough temp to anneal your brass and if you find one cheap, you are in business.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Once in a while I have seen kilns free on CraigsList, you might also see if there is one for reasonable on there.

a free kiln would be great but I think my chances of that are 0 to none around here. this is the kind of thing that gives me great joy to do I love to make things. some of my ideas work great and some don't work so great. will have to test this one out and see D Crockett

Banner Sponsor

Would a toaster oven work?
    I've got a 5 gal bucket full of spent 22lr cases.

Lar45 from every thing I have read and been told a toaster oven does not get hot enough to anneal 22lr brass you will need to get the temp.. up to around 8 or 900 deg. a toaster oven only gets up to 400 to 450 Deg. that why I am building a gas oven so I can get the temp higher D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

I have done annealing of odds and ends with a metal 5 gallon bucket and charcoal. drill 1/4"-3/8" holes in bottom and around sides to allow air in to promote a good glowing fire. set the bucket up on a couple concrete blocks. About 4" in the bottom of the bucket to start out with. Wrap the brass to be completely annealed in tin foil or aluminum foil and fold edges over each other to seal good. start the charcoal and let burn to glowing coals and place the brass package in along with enough charcoal to cover it another 4-5" and let burn till it burns out and is cool on its own.
    I'm thinking of making a gas fired oven from 4" heavy walled pipe for another purpose though. This will be 24-26" long and propane fired and insulated on the outside with fire bricks. I want this for when lining a barrel the barrel can set in with each end sticking out. Allow to come up to temp and touch the silver solder to on end and it should flow thru to the other end, with few inclusions or voids. Once soldered close lid back down and shut off let slowly cool and some stress may be removed also.

Boolit Master
    Im thinking of annealing my brass while bonding my cores. Limit the temp to 800deg f. I have commercial cookie sheets and 1/4" expanded metal mesh to hold the brass vertical. I was thinking i would buy a used gas self clean oven, monitor the temp. And shut down @ 800deg.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Moderator Emeritus

Pizza freaks trick for a gas oven. Insulate the temp probe with rock wool then test. May need multiple layers but some have gotten home ovens to 1,000 degrees. NOT something to do in the house! They all cook outside in a patio kitchen where an oven fire or stove meltdown won't burn the house down! Saw pictures of really warped sheet metal when doing this.

I do not plan on doing this in my house but out side away from anything that can catch fire. it like using a turkey fryer to cook a turkey with you have no idea as to what going to happened I once saw a $600,000 house that was not 6 months old burn to the grown because of a turkey fryer . well something like that is not going to happened around my house. I take no chances till I am sure as to what going to happen. thank you MarryB for the advise D Crockett

The worse thing that can happen with turkey frying - I know someone who had an employee of theirs' wife using a turkey fryer (oil filled) in their kitchen, overheated it and managed to flash ignite the oil, she tried to carry it outside but slipped and splashed the oil ALL over herself. From head to toe. Horrid burns, that's TOUGH to recover from. I'd ONLY ever do those oil frying things outside, even if you have a couple of those "Stove Top Fire Stop" devices (neat piece of safety gear, uses cannon fuse to hold the bottom in place under some baking soda, if there's a fire the fuse lights and dumps the baking soda, putting the fire out automatically - Someone did well!) Annealing stuff is a lot less dangerous, but I'd agree, 900 degrees F is hot enough that I'd do it somewhere that it'd be OK if it burned the shed or whatever down, not the whole house...

well can we say outside on the carport with nothing within 10 ft of it that is my plain anyway after seeing that house that burnt down I trust nothing the first time it gets fired up as I am always saying safety first D Crockett

I buy Mike Rowe's "Safety third" for some groups and people but sure, you can go with Safety First (Considering I was in a search & rescue group & have done other zany stuff in the past, I do go with Safety First now; Not so much at times in the past.)

Boolit Buddy
    ive looked at many, still haven't tripped the trigger

I have an old lee 10lb pot that I have taken the plunger out of and welded the nozzle closed. Was thinking of using it for salt bath annealing. I wonder if you could just fill something like that up with 22lr brass, put a cover on, and get it hot for an hour or so to anneal the brass?

A 110v variac/autotransformer or variable AC transformer, a $3 "2500w" electric kiln element (Nichrome or similar) and some refractive masonry brick/cement can go a long way to making a high temperature oven for batch annealing things. No mess, can do it indoors if you're careful...

up date on the annealing oven. I did get the temp up to 800 deg. so it looks like it will work. I put is some brass but I did not leave it in long enough to get it to 800 deg. I was told if I can get it to 800 deg, empty that given enough time it would work. and that is where I am at right at this moment. D Crockett