RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Will this work?

Boolit Master

Will this work?

I'm going against what p dawg shooter and others have posted on using a boolit for paper patching by not lapping the bore riding portion to same dia. as driving bands. Using a RCBS .30- 180 - FN and sizing it to .3032" while the nose varies from .301 to .302". I didn't want to lap the bore riding portion of the mould as I'd like to continue using it as a lubed boolit mold for several rifles. Will the smaller nose cause the sized slug to fail as a PP bullet?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I think it will. I have had alloys that will bump to groove less paper thickness.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt you will have issues as long as the patched nose is at least bore diameter. The danger would be uneven bump up or slump and I suspect slump wouldn't be an issue with anything but very soft lead.

Certainly worth trying. What have you got to lose but a bit of time powder and primers?

Sharps used to market two diameter boolits with the portion inside the brass being larger and patched to groove and the nose being smaller and patched to bore.

The paper should be touching the lands when the round is chambered.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Didn’t know that.
    Thanks longbow
    I’d be definately giving it a far go.
    You may need a litlle harder than normal bhn to make it work
    If you rub abit of alox on the nose ,just for good measure you should at least get 1800 fps.
    To 2000 fps with out much trouble with a lot softer than wc ww etc.
    For a half patch.

Full patch should be good.
    If you have trouble run the nose over a couple of bastard files to knurl it up a tad.
    Concentrating on the tip section if nothing else.

Boolit Master
    I should have mentioned that I was patching both bore riding nose and driving bands/ gas check shank. I've loaded five rds each of 40 gr 4895, 41 gr, 42 gr and 43 gr for my M700 .30-06 and will try 'em this week. Not sure of this sentence structure; hope you get the meaning. Barra, if these won't group; I'll try the knurling. Sounds like a good idea.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!