Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Green Machine Question

Boolit Bub
    It needs a lot of cleaning. I'll try to take some before and after photos.
    RJ

Boolit Master

I have not owned a green machine but do own 2 CH Auto Champs. After watching the video above and one next to it with the .45acp I'm not sure why the priming is so problematic. Both my CH's prime the same way and once set up properly they run trouble free for thousands and thousands of rounds. For the Auto Champs it's just a matter of adjusting the primer slide bar correctly.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Called up RCBS for some parts for my Green Machine, they had everything except for the cam on the powder measure. They did call back asking about one dimension on the machine as a part had changed. They had the later part, but not the earlier, luckily my machine was the later one so I got the last one in stock!! Will size/prime on my 650 and load on the GM

Boolit Bub
    I finally got it cleaned up and put back together. I may have to use a lee pro disk powder measure because I want to replace the RCBS priming system with a tube primer feed. I won't be able to use the Little Dandy because the rotor protrudes and won't allow the use of the tube primer feed. I'll see how it goes.

I don't where you get them, but I've seen powder rotors that don't protrude past the front of the body of the Little Dandy. Whether they were customized or purchased that way I don't know.
    If you google "RCBS Green Machine" the look at images, the first pic is one without the "knob" of the rotor protruding from the Little Dandy.
    Last edited by Cougar Hunter; 04-26-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I admire your courage. I bought one when they came out. Sold it 3 months later at NO loss. I was relieved to be free of it.
    Hope to NEVER see another.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Cougar:'
    There is an older video on YouTube that shows a guy on a Green Machine loading 45 acp. with a Star primer feed tube and what looks like what you are describing. His rotor looks cut off. Maybe I'll start a new thread and ask about that. I have the Lee mounted now.

Richard

Boolit Bub
    Walks:
    I'm trying. @%&*%#@
    Richard

Boolit Bub
    OS OK:
    I was trying to use a Star primer feed tube on the Green Machine
    but the rotor extends out to far. I notice your rotor seems to be cut off. Is this custom or can you purchase them like that?
    Richard

That rotor came with the machine, all the other rotors I have, have the knurled knob for twisting by hand. I was curious about that too but the cut off part is blued like the rest of the rotor & I don't see saw or grinding marks on it...good question? If your going to use the primer tubes and have conflict just cut the knob off and get it out of your way...only thing is it'll be a dedicated rotor to the Green Machine after that.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. I was thinking about chopping it off but it's probably going to be very hard to saw. I may try tomorrow.
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Back in my revolver days I purchased a Green Machine way back when they first came out. Great piece of engineering, but not a press for those that don't like to tinker.

When Dillion arrived on the scene with his American Rifleman ad for the 450 press i bit and ordered one. The old Dillon 450 was a dream come true and the Green Machine went to pasture. The GM sat in a cabinet for years and if anyone as asked me for it I would have gladly given it away to free up space.

A few years ago I decided to finally get rid of the GM so put it up for bid on Evil Bay with a starting bid of $10, hoping someone would place a bid if for nothing else but the dies. Little did I know that this old machine has a cult following, long story short it ended up selling for almost $600, which absolutely blew me away. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Boolit Bub
    Dragonheart:
    There was one recently on Ebay that sold for $525.00. Another sold for $280.00 I think it has a lot to do with caliber. The first one was in .38 spl. and the other was in 9mm. I bought mine to play around with it. (.38 cal. ). Almost there with the fine tuning.
    Richard

Boolit Master
    I have a Green Machine in 45 acp. I have done several modifications to fix three identified faults in the design. First I got rid of the powder measure and replaced it with a Lee disk measure. I needed a Lee 45 acp riser tube funnel to go with it. You will need a 38 special one. No more spilled powder. If there is not a case underneath, no powder will drop. As a bonus there are 24 disc sizes for powder charges included. Sure beats $12 a drum for the Little Dandy. Secondly get rid of that awful disc jamamatic primer feed. I just used a Dillon primer tube, which fits perfect in the existing primer feed hole. I use a piece of pipe from an old floor lamp for a blast shield. Thirdly, there is a problem with varying bullet seating depths, due to spring in the top plate columns, when cases of different sizing resistance are encountered. I replaced one of the bolts from the bottom plate on the right side, with a longer bolt with a locking nut. I adjust this so the top plate will go down only so far on the right side before stopping on the bolt. The top plate can spring all it wants, but it can only go down so far. This gets more consistent seating depths. The press is a downright pleasure to run now. Rarely a hicup. If I can find some pictures I will post them..

Boolit Master
    Here are Two photo's I had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green Machine 001.JPG   View Of Charged Case.JPG  

Boolit Bub
    GBertolet

I decided to go with the Lee disk powder measure also. I thought I would probably need the riser so I ordered one. I have a Star small primer feed tube that fits perfect. The longer bolt is a good idea and I think I'll do that fix too. I see how you did that from the picture. Thanks for taking time to post all that great info. I just need to find a length of pipe for the blast shield.
    Richard

Boolit Master
    You are welcome rjbuilder. I had help discovering these fixes, and now I am glad to pass them on.

I didn't realize that the top front plate had anything to do with the seat depth...I thought it was from the slop in the linkage of their original seating die. I used a seat/crimp die to crimp on the last station and left the seat stem in to insure that I got a consistent depth. The only gaps I see now in the crimp groove and case neck are from short brass, it ain't much but it's there occasionally.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    OS OK, I had originally done that also. The trouble I experienced, was if the bullet was seated deeper in the taper crimp die, it would occasionally shear some lead off the bullet. The 45 has the taper crimp die. Maybe the 38 has a roll crimp die, where this would not be a factor. At least in the 45 it did. How much crimp you use, would be a factor in this also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12