RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Green Machine Question

Boolit Bub

Lightbulb RCBS Green Machine Question

I just picked up a Green Machine to tinker with. The first thing I'm going to do is get rid of the lousy priming setup
    and replace it with a Dillon primer feed tube. I would also like to install the Dillon low primer warning kit on the tube.
    I'm not sure if it will fit on the tube alone or if it is designed to be used with a blast tube. Any thoughts on this?

Boolit Master

Good luck on your upgrade, I also have one, but it sits idle.
    If you get yours working and want another .....
    Enjoy
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Once setup, it's a monster. I prime as a separate step, never could get the factory setup to work. Serious PITA.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Forget about trying to get the priming system to work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Hope You Get it running. Check Back with us in a year or Two.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Don't give up on it...you just have to understand the machine and be mechanically inclined to be successful. Bring pre-primed brass to the machine, keep it clean under the track and don't try to run it like a house a fire. Lube it with a dry lube that doesn't collect dust and debris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq5z3atRsUo >

Here's where I just got it running without the drop through boolit seater die...later I found the parts to complete that die and can run at a pretty stable clip. It's an inline machine not a carousel type, it's mesmerizing to watch as the brass keeps appearing on the left and marching to the right until they jump off completed into the cartridge bin.
    I set it up to load the .38S full wad cutter...it'll make all you can shoot and then some.

This is the drop in seater die that makes it so easy to place your cast...not like in the video where I didn't have this die installed yet. >

Heres the instruction manual from RCBS...will tell you the set-up and everything. >

http://rcbs.com/RCBS/media/RCBSMedia...EN_MACHINE.pdf

Everyday RCBS has less and less parts for the green machine but they will send you free, whatever they have until the parts are exhausted.

I mounted it on a little bar table bottom, just pull a stool up and get to work.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Welcome to the Forum,
    The RCBS Green Machine can be a beast.
    I've been using one since the mid 80's, and bought it new.
    As everyone knows, the priming system is it's biggest fault. I could never get mine working consistantly no matter how much I fussed with it. For this reason, I prime off the press as most all Green Machine owners who still use the machine do. Once you bypass the priming aspect the machine works quite well. Fitting a Dillon priming tube may cure the feed issues, but you still have to deal with the linkage and primer delivery to the rail. This is where my fussing was concentrated and I could never get it to work 100% ALL the time. You'll undoubtably see what I mean. I hope you get it working. Concentration and focus is the key

The Dillon low primer sensor is clamped to the nut on the blast shield which centers and retains the primer tube.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub

I've seen the video along with others on youtube. Yours looks like it is working fine. I am going to get this thing set up one way or the other. Thanks for the good tips and the link to the manual. Almost forgot to ask. How does the little dandy powder system work for you? Do you use rotor #2 for your wadcutters?
    Last edited by rjbuilder; 04-15-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Dan: So if I try to mount it on just the primer tube without the blast shield it might be a no go.

Boolit Bub
    Cougar:
    I'll try to concentrate on the primer delivery system and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

For powder delivery, there is a member here who makes an adjustable rotor for the Little Dandy. I have one in mine and it works perfectly. It adjusts using a hex wrench through the powder magazine. The name of the member escapes me, but he was excellent to deal with. I've had mine for several years. This will eliminate trying to acquire proper rotors for a specific charge.

edit: I found the link with his contact info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...justable-Rotor

Boolit Bub
    Cougar:
    I just PM'd him. Waiting for a reply. I had remembered reading about this and it sure would help to dial in the correct charge. Many thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbuilder View Post
    Dan: So if I try to mount it on just the primer tube without the blast shield it might be a no go.
    Yes, this is correct. The alarm mounts to the blast shield nut (relatively large diameter compared to primer tube alone). Additionally, the weight of the low primer alarm might make the tube top heavy enough to pull it out of alignment. In lieu of the alarm, you can make a follower rod to fit inside the primer tube and mark it at various intervals to keep track of how many primers are left. The additional weight pushing down on the stack of primers helps with feeding.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just called RCBS to check on parts so I can maybe get my old Green Machine going again. Will use my 650 to size and prime and the GM for the rest.
    RCBS had in stock every part I needed!!!

Boolit Bub
    Good idea and a lot cheaper. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Good to know. I have to clean this thing up before I can get it going. Looks like all the parts are in place.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a nice set up. Skeettx you mentioned you had one sitting idle. Interested in selling?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Just called RCBS to check on parts so I can maybe get my old Green Machine going again. Will use my 650 to size and prime and the GM for the rest.
    RCBS had in stock every part I needed!!!
    What would be the advantage of using a 650 to size and prime.....then complete the loading process on another machine?
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by rjbuilder View Post

I've seen the video along with others on youtube. Yours looks like it is working fine. I am going to get this thing set up one way or the other. Thanks for the good tips and the link to the manual. Almost forgot to ask. How does the little dandy powder system work for you? Do you use rotor #2 for your wadcutters?
    I used the no. 2 at first then changed to the no. 3 with the Bullseye, just made the FWC's a tad bit faster but wasn't necessary. The Lil Dandy throws just fine...settle the powder in the hopper before you start, do that by tapping the hopper 'lightly' with a rubber handled small screwdriver, watch the powder level and after about 6 taps or so it'll stop settling...the first throw from the Dandy should go back into the hopper as you will have settled the powder in the metering hole of the dandy too & will be over the 2.7g.'s you expected.
    You needent use the 650 to size and prime beforehand as you can hand prime prolly faster than using the 650...I dunnoh, 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other...Get into the habit of priming your brass ahead of needing it when you have only 30 minutes to do something in the shop...those primers will keep installed in the brass until you want to use them.
    Good luck...if you rehab her right, you'll enjoy using it...just have to get used to turning the Lil Dandy off and on at the right time or you will dump powder on the track many times...after a couple hundred I've gotten used to doing it right now, I keep the air line close so I can keep her blown out because no matter how anal you are...you'll still have a hiccup from time to time!

Post some pictures...you have people following your progress...that makes for long running & interesting threads...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast