WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Who else RV's?

Who else RV's?

I lost both parents in the last winter. Its ok, no pain there. They lived long full happy lives. It was a release for both of them when they passed.

But the Inheritance left me in a position where I can indulge myself a bit.

Already have a lot of guns, tools, cool stuff.

So I encouraged my wife to take early retirement at 62.

And bought a Forest River R-pod travel trailer, a 189.
    20 feet 4 inches, 3,000 lbs empty.

And we just bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado for our tow vehicle.

Plan is to load up in October and be in Jacksonville Nc for Christmas.
    After that I'd like to explore Ga and Florida. Spend what is 5-6 months of snow and cold misery down in the SE states.

You guys who live down there, tips? I'm wanting to get back to the wild at least a little.
    Do some boondocking for 2-4 days then spend a night at a campsite with full hookups to dump tanks, refill water, propane, recharge battery's, shower, wash clothes, restock. Then move a few miles and repeat.

This is all new to me so I have been researching like crazy.
    Spent over 1k at Harbor Freight for a Generator and tools.
    Have more than that in our Amazon cart.

While I might dip a toe into the Keys and everglades I'm more interested in north central and panhandle area's.

My wife and I both love to fish. Hoping to teach her to snorkle down there in the springs clear water. We have Kayaks, although I am considering gifting our old ones to our daughter and buying a couple of new sit on top models.

I would bring at least a pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle. Would love to get into some feral pig hunting.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I have been looking at Forest River Rpods for years. I saw a new Winnebago Mini Drop a few weeks ago and bought it. Very similar to the Rpod. We tow with a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, or a 2016 Tacoma. We have added external transmission coolers to both vehicles.
    Have only gone on short overnights so far. There are many places here in the State Forests to just park, and set up camp. Security is provided by a Mossberg Shockwave, and we both carry Ruger LC9S pistols.
    I have not yet been to a site with hookups, but will need to in summer for A/C use. I wish we had bought this trailer, or an Rpod, years ago. I'm applying for my SS this month.

Boolit Master

I would highly recommend that since you are going to be in the South; that you look up some of the "Club" hunts in Georgia and Florida. We have friends in Jacksonville Florida and there are quite a few "Hunt Clubs" in the Band of 75 Miles North and 75 Miles South of the Florida/Georgia Border. A Gentlemens Quail hunt where they take you from field to field to hunt Quail in a Horse/Mule drawn Wagon is one of my High Point memories. Many of the Clubs allow non-memebers to hunt at slightly higher rates. You can also find other game available such as Hogs (often trapped in the Swamps for Game Control Measures - and let lose on participating Clubs for hunts), Emu, and...

Best wishes on enjoying retirement and travel.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I do not have an RV, but we sure would like to have one. Not likely in the future for us though. So Good for you folks to be able to do it!

We are not yet "retirement age", but have always loved to camp, hunt & fish, so we will still be doing that. We used a pickup camper for many years when our sons were young & then moved them into tents of their own & they now have carried the tradition of camping hunting & fishing trips , even with the grandboys.

We went back to tent camping, since maintaining the PU camper was getting cost prohibitive ( it is/was old(early70's model)but the missus & I talked about getting a pull behind hardside or even a popup ( to haul a small duck boat I have, or our canoe) and put it at a campground/resort for most of the year & still tent when we make short trips to the BWCA or other places like it. ( We actually prefer to be "out in the sticks" primitive style camping & not a part of some Campground/RV park if we were to get a hardside or popup. Don't care for crowds & all that comes with that.)

Only trouble is that with med. issues, and even from getting a bit older, we have found that gravity is somewhat of an issue & the ground seems to be getting harder. Started on the ground when young, went to pads after that, then tried the air mattresses, then went to thicker air mattresses, & started to think about cots. So, am trying to decide if it is worth getting a bigger tent like the old Boy Scout or military style canvas ones to accommodate cots, & even a table, or just get a camper...

Anyway, I rambled a bit once again...

I could offer some suggestions on what we have learned about our travels & camping etc., but do not wish to "preach to the choir" about such things. We have traveled to many places to do what you are proposing, albeit not as much perhaps as others, (but in a more "primitive" manner), so we do have some tips we could possibly share, but I have typed long enough & likely bored ya..
    LOL

Hope you find your adventures to be very enjoyable & you also find what ya seek in hunting/fishing opportunities! I envy you in a good way & hope to hear about some of your adventures ( and hopefully with pics) when you do go traveling!

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

A Not bored.

B Always willing to at least listen.

C Sometimes I learn a few things.

D "Primative" is what my camping experience is. As in woods that no one has walked in since the Indians were moved to the reservations.

Actually it was often more like "Outlaw" camping, paying no fees, heeding no rules.
    3 days in Zippel Bay State park where no one ever saw us. No one knew we were there.
    Left nothing behind but a few ashes in a buried fire pit. And a small stack of cut up Poplar.

Came and left by canoe, not road is why we were able to do it.

5 years ago my shooting buddy and I had one last canoe trip in us. 3 days, 3 nights in the wild. Made 30 river miles and about 14 as the crow fly's. Asked no permissions, paid no fees, left very very little sign that we were there. I think those days are gone.

But if this will let me watch the sunset over still water. Cook over a wood fire. Make cowboy coffee on a still above freezing morning. Well, that may be good enough for this ol boy.

As to sleeping, I did not ever sleep well on the ground. I have tried a variety of hammocks, love the last ones we got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But momma does like having a big queen bed and a bathroom.

Time will tell. Hey its only money!

Debating swapping out our 8' sit in kayaks for 10' sit on top modern models.
    Either the Lifetime Tamarack Angler or something similar.

For this summer the 10' Aluminum Jon boat is getting tweaked and refurnished and is going to be getting used for a lot of small lake fishing. Found a real steal on a like new 44 lb thrust rear mount trolling motor. Got 2 new swivel seats that will clamp onto the bench seats, rod holders, umbrella's and a fish finder.

Crappies Bluegills and a few bass, maybe a Northern pike or 2 is our target. Especially the panfish.

I have a hankering for fresh bluegill cleaned and rolled in cornmeal and fried. With a side of country style fried potatoes. Like Grandma made back in the late 50's.

Yeah, kinda retracing grandpa's steps the opposite direction. He was raised south and came north. I was raised north and am hankering for warmer winters and longer fishing season.

And yes some Hawg Hunting would go right well too. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Boolit Master

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

My wife and I have spent 2-3 winter months on the Texas coast for 9 years. I would encourage you to look all along the gulf coast, as the area is very RV friendly. Warm enough water for snorkeling may be hard to find unless you are in the keys. Texas has good fresh and salt water fishing, and Mississippi has several great crappie lakes. My best advise is to be off the road by 3:00 pm every travel day, as that keeps it easy. And, Texas is very firearm friendly.

Boolit Grand Master
    First thing to do is seal that baby up. Every gap that wiring and piping is routed through needs to be sealed from mice and creepy crawlies.

I had a 43 ft toy hauler 5th wheel and it was a pain. We are now looking at converting a cargo trailer to a camper that will also allow us to take a UTV with us. Sold the dually diesel and have a F150 for the tow vehicle. The problem with all trailers is the lack of storage space.

Advise you to get a surge supressor to protect your entire unit. Many campgrounds have terrible power systems.

We never drank the water but carried bottled.

Add a multimeter to your kit. You will need it. RV stands for Ruined Vacation. Every unit is built as cheaply as possible so expect some issues as you use it. Stay close to home for the first few trips
    Don Verna

We spend 4-5 months per year in our 5th wheel since we retired, mostly AZ. The days of hard ground camping are behind us. We enjoyed that and camped in place a camper would never go. We've had pickup campers, bumper pull trailers, a houseboat and now a 5th wheel. You will find what you like. I will agree with **** electric in campgrounds. You need surge/low voltage/reversed wiring protection.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    On our second trailer, we graduated from tents to a pull behind and now a 5th wheel. Best bet is to take a long weekend close to home as a dry run. As mentioned space will be an issue. Bins, milk crates and small tool boxes are your friend. Judicious shopping will get you all you need. Surprisingly Wally World carries much of the standard need stuff. I assume you got some of the basics such as water and sewage hoses and the like. Pay attention to the tire pressure and age to include the spare. There should be a mfg date or code on the sidewall. It they are over 5 or so years old I would concider them suspect, no matter how "good" they look.

Short list of things to bring along off the top of my head. There are plenty of lists out there but here's my take:
    1. 4 way lug wrench and bottle jack- many vehicle jacks won't work with a trailer
    2. Spare 12v bulbs and fuses
    3. Rv water pressure regulator
    4. Hatchet/small axe
    5. Shovel (folding camping are great)
    6. A few 2x4 and/or 4x4 blocks for dunage for setting the jacks/leveling
    7. Check the screws that your trailer is put together with, may use the square Roberts #2 driver
    8. Small basic tool kit, with a hammer pliers etc
    9. Several BBQ lighters
    10. Spare septic treatment and rv/single ply toilet paper.

There's a ton more to pass along and others wil chime in I suppose. Always ready to get a first timer started. Shoot me a PM if you want more

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet06 View Post
    ...SNIP... My best advise is to be off the road by 3:00 pm every travel day, as that keeps it easy. ....Snip...
    Ditto!

And excellent advice , IMO, from posts #8,9 10 as well, and I am only going off old camping with a PU truck camper & not a new one, but still had to do some "shake downs" before going from Minnesota to Virginia & back a couple times.... { Short trips close by, meaning 100 miles or less one way, then to the BWCA a couple times for the 300+ one ways, just to check things out..}

I have friends that made the mistake of going X country without , "Shake Down Cruises" & told me horror stories of their not so happy adventures...

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Well the Arkansas trip was a huge success. We did NOT want to go home after 6 weeks.

Dog did not want to go home either.

We are loaded up, headed out in a couple of hours. First step is to pick up the trailer where I left it parked in a storage lot, fenced, patrolled, 25$ a month. No worrys about having to winterize it to haul it home. Not to mention just the gas saved paid for the storage.

We want at least a few days at our little slice of heaven 16 miles NW of Hot Springs.
    Crystal Ridge RV park, part of Ron Colemans Quartz crystal mine. Lots of space between units. Lots of trees, mature pines and oaks mostly. LOTS of peace and quiet. White quartz and pieces of quartz crystals laying on the ground everywhere.

After that we are headed down to New Orleans to see some extended family.
    Do some tours, the whole tourist thing.

And after that we were not sure where we wanted to go. Gulf coast, but east or west?

So we will be looking for signs, Portents, indicators of HIS will.
    I'm listenin Lord.

Who knows where we will end up.

Love you Brothers!

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear everything is working out. Tabasco/Avery Island is always worth a look while your down at the Big Easy.

Boolit Master
    Hope you continue to have a great time & trip! Sounds like you have it well planned so far!

My Oldest Son, DIL, & 2 grandboys began an RV adventure trip on Monday. They rented an RV for this trip. They are in San Antonio,TX. to see the sights today. I am not sure what their schedule is exactly, but that they want to see New Orleans, LA. & then go to Fla., then return home by the 23rd, Jan..

The missus & I get to stay home. Maybe we will take a trip in late Spring. Maybe head up North, or over to 'Sconnie for some fishing.

Like said... Have a Great trip!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I am misunderstanding...are you leaving the trailer down south?

"No worrys about having to winterize it to haul it home. Not to mention just the gas saved paid for the storage."

Good to hear you and the missus are enjoying your travels!!
    Don Verna

Banned
    Wife and I are on our second winter of work camping in Texas for the winter. We volunteer at Christian campgrounds doing maintenance work.

Last year, during the off (summer) season, we went to California to visit friends, spent two weeks in Missouri with friends then wrapped up the summer in a deceased friends yard clearing his estate. One month at home then on the road again.
    We have a 38 foot 5th wheel. The one major drawback is the inability to tinker with or research old reloading tools.
    Ken

The wife and I just got our first. Picked up a gently used 29 Coachman. Have yet to get it out as we are sealing and prepping everything for us. We plan to take a short weekender at first to get acclimated.

This is a new adventure, as we have always boated. But because of complications in a surgery the wife can no longer go in the water. So the boat and all the gear is for sale and we get to start learning all over.