PBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Home-made Curry Chicken ...

Smile Home-made Curry Chicken ...

Another thing that I like to make is home-made Curry Chicken. I got the hankering to make some yesterday so I whipped up a batch. I like to serve it over white rice with some sweet Mango or Peach Chutney on the side. Simple to make too. I dice up about 3 large chicken breasts and then stir fry them well seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder (or 3 or 4 cloves of chopped fresh garlic), and some ginger. I put the stir fried chicken aside while I sautee two large white sweet onions coarsely chopped in a bit of butter. After the onions are translucent I add 3 or 4 sweet peppers coarsely chopped (usually a mix of green, red, yellow, and orange), cover the pan and let it simmer for a while. Sometimes I add some sliced mushrooms to the mix as well. It's not an exact science and I vary the ingredients from batch to batch. I add the cooked chicken back to the pan and add a tin of coconut milk and several tablespoons of curry powder (to taste). I let it all simmer while I cook a pot of white rice and as soon as the rice is ready I add a large handful of sliced almonds and raisins to the curry mix. I make a bed of rice on a plate and cover it with the curry letting the liquid seep down into the rice. One of these days I'll look up a recipe to make some traditional garlic "naan" bread to go along with it ....

Is anyone else a curry fan?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

My first curry dish was enjoyed in a pub in Sydney, Australia in 1990. Been a big fan of yellow curry chicken with cocoanut milk ever since. Yours looks smashing!

It's tasty and dead simple to make ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I'm a fan of curry, and so are my dogs, but mine is more Oriental-style.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Moderator Emeritus

Only curry I like is turmeric free, I find the flavor of turmeric over powers everything.

Boolit Master
    That’s an excellent point, MaryB! I make only my kind and forgot that it has turmeric mixed into it until you mentioned it. Thank you for the reminder that there’s other ways to use it. I’ll have to look up more recipes.

You are making me hungry.

Over basmati is very good and healthier, but an Irish twist of over chips is better yet.

Be sure, if having it there or at an authentic pub to tell them spicy - the Irish tame their curries even worse than Brits and we Americans

Now, the Portuguese taught even the Indians about heat and garlic with the super delicious fusion of vindaloos.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    mmm looks delicious and nutritious, will have to give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    My Thai wife makes a coconut chicken yellow curry that my co-workers drool over. A couple lime leaves gives is a fantastic flavor. Of course I have to keep the lime tree alive during the Ky winter.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

I love curry...the Chicken Curry we make is super simple but really good. We use Yellow Curry.

Cut chicken tendoin into 1" long pieces and cook thoroughly in olive oil and 2 teaspoons of butter. (salt and pepper chicken to taste) Remove chicken when cooked. Cut 1 large onion into 1/2" pieces and saute in the olive oil/butter that remains....Add 3 teaspoons of minced garlic and cook another minute or until fragrant. Now add 12 oz of sour cream to the pan and put the chicken back in. Once it starts to simmer add about 2-3 Tablespoons of curry and mix thoroughly....let it simmer 10-15 minutes.

Serve this over Near East Rice Pilaf. Top with peanuts.

Enjoy.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 04-19-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: type of curry.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Thank you, Redhawk, that sounds simple and delicious.

Banned
    I am allergic to curry and traveling all over the world makes it a challenge. enjoy

Rev_Al....I love the idea of adding ginger to the curry recipe. That sounds delicious...not big on Mango Chutney but since its on the side I could leave it out....I may give this one a whirl. As for the ginger...do you use ground ginger or do you grate it in...and...about how much?

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Rev_Al....I love the idea of adding ginger to the curry recipe. That sounds delicious...not big on Mango Chutney but since its on the side I could leave it out....I may give this one a whirl. As for the ginger...do you use ground ginger or do you grate it in...and...about how much?

redhawk
    just IMHO, if you have a microplaner it will give the best flavor and least effort for cutting up ginger. I prefer fresh ginger over the powdered variety myself.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Fresh ginger for the Thai recipe also.

No matter what I take, folks always ask, what is this....and this....?

Neighbors cat I say, our's is too skinny.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    just IMHO, if you have a microplaner it will give the best flavor and least effort for cutting up ginger. I prefer fresh ginger over the powdered variety myself.

I cut a coin then smash it with the side of my knife then chop. Can do just as good as the little planers...

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post

redhawk
    Fresh is always better since it has WAY more flavour, but powdered Ginger will work in a pinch if it's all you have on hand ...

Boolit Master
    I like a similar recipe using pork in stead of chicken...if chicken I like thighs better than breasts as I seem to always get the white meat too dry...Looks wonderful though!

Boolit Master

I freeze my ginger so it will last, then grate it frozen with a microplane grater. If you do this, you don't have to peel it unless you want to.