Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: H&R 925 revolver

Boolit Bub

H&R 925 revolver

I just picked up an H&R model 925 top break revolver in chambered in 38 S&W with a three inch barrel in trade. It's one of the later guns made in the 1960s or 70s since it has a transfer bar. My question is, does any one have any idea how these guns compare as far as strength? Are the comparable to a Webly or are the more like the 19th century top breaks? And what loads would be suitable for this revolver?

Boolit Grand Master
    Those were pretty good guns, about as sturdy as the Webleys were. The actions were not very smooth. However, they were designed and intended for modern smokeless cartridges, not 19th century black powder shells. I had--and my brother still has--a 4 inch version. The only loads I tried in it used the Lyman 358-432 148 grain WC over 2.2 grains of Bullseye or 2.7 grains of WW-231, crimped in the crimp groove.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    My FIL used ours for numerous years to dispatch raccoons and tree rats that were a bother eating into his house. He never had any gripes. I am not sure if I ever shot our's more than the first time I bought it from the widow of a church member. That was with the ammo it was loaded with and years ago. Then my FIL needed something for the chewers at his place and out there it was for years.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    38 S&W dimensions differ from those of the more-often-reloaded 38 Special and 357 Magnum--38 S&W is NOT a short 38 Special. Throat diameters on my four examples range from .359" (Colt Police Positive) to .363" (S&W M&P and Webley-Enfield). My S&W Regulation Police is "on spec" at .361".

I run NOE/Lyman #358477 at 700-725 FPS from my small-frame 38 S&Ws. These just "clean up" in a .361" H&I die. 3.0 grains of Unique is the usual dosage. The caliber can be quite accurate in a good revolver with well-fit bullets. The Colt PP and the S&W M&P have the best sighting gear, and enable better shooting.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGordon View Post
    I just picked up an H&R model 925 top break revolver....
    how these guns compare as far as strength? Are the comparable to a Webly or are the more like the 19th century top breaks?
    The H&R is about as strong as a well-made S&W top break since they are of similar design, but not as strong as the Webly. The Webly has a stirrup that goes over the top, lending more strength.

hth
    shunka
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.