MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replace hardware on SBH from home depot?

replace hardware on SBH from home depot?

ok, so I went to take my Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter model grips off today, for a thorough cleaning out of the action. when the grips came off I heard something hit thee floor, and after a little looking, I found the hex type head to one of the top grip frame screws. luckily, it looks like when I take off the whole grip frame, there will be enough of the bolt left to grip with a pair of vice grip pliers. question is, do you think I could take the good bolt to home depot, and find a grade 8 mathing the treads and length, or do I have to go through ruger, wait for who knows how long, and pay more also... and, does anyone have any tips that might make that broken bolt come out easier, so I don't risk breaking it flush, and having to take it to a gunsmith? my only guess is that the screw was over- tightened at the factory, because I haven't touched them, and I got this gun new from grab a gun, and also, I do not shoot heav recoiling loads ( max load I have shot was 21.5grs of 296 over a 275 keith. PLEASE HELP!!! thanks!- Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    If you call Ruger and describe your issue politely, they will probably send you new screws for free.

As for removing the broken screw, I'd apply some Kroil and let it do it's job for 30 minutes or so, and then clamp the revolver in a padded vise. Clamp the protruding screw with a small Vise-Grip, and try to turn it out. That's assuming there's enough protrusion to grab onto.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

The exact same happened to me with my BFR .475 Linebaugh. I found out the thread size and ordered from Amazon. I got a half dozen in a matter of a few days. Mine were stainless though.

Boolit Master
    Call Ruger,,, you will most likely get the screws for free,, AND pretty quickly.

If you do not have experience in removing a broken off screw,,, a gunsmith may be the safest way to go.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep as already said, call Ruger. There are 4 different length screws for most grip frames you will want to let them send you the exact right one.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Most firearms use NEF threads and hardwares seldom carry them. Brownells or ruger. A local gun shop may have them also.

I had this happen to me years ago with my SBH, a 3screw bought new in 64. One of lower frame
    screws sheared head off. This was before nylock screws. What I found was the other screw was
    loose too. I took frame off and easily backed out screw with small pliers. I bought screws from
    Ruger, which had been upgraded to Nylocs by this time. It pays to check your screws before firing
    sessions, if one gets loose it will shear the head off. It is possible to shear from over torque, but
    all my experience has ended up being the fault of loose screws.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Ruger has given me free parts a couple of times with just a phone call or letter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ok, thanks a lot guys, I am going to go with calling ruger. so I am planning on replacing both upper screws, ( no telling how many times I shot after that head broke off, may have stressed the other one). would you guys recommend the red loc-tite? or would that make things difficult if this were to happen again? at least this is good proof that I am shooting enough! lol, I am going stir crazy not shooting it, but I think it not so wise to shoot it with a missing screw.. have a good'un!-Travis

Boolit Master
    Fastenal has many screws.

Boolit Master
    Some Ace Hardware stores stock odd size screws that might work. My son was in an older, well-stocked Ace store once looking for something else in the fastener department and saw a drawer labeled "gun screws".

Boolit Master
    Blue loc-tite will hold the screw in place and allow you to remove it it the future if you need to. Red loc-tite is PERMANENT!

Boolit Master

ACE hardware is now carrying rifle and pistol screws. they're in the 'screws in all those cute drawers' section
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banner Sponsor

I ordered spare screws from Brownells. Ill have to check out Ace Hardware for the gun screw section

thanks for clearing that up, duckkiller! that could turn out bad! while I already e mailed ruger requesting 2 replacement screws, I might check out aces, I could try to get spares for the bottom screws, and maybe the one on the ejector housing too! thanks for the help!-Travis

Boolit Master

use blue lock tite or even clear nail polish not red lock tite
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If your vise grips are too large to remove the screws, ignition pliers might do instead. (Like water pump pliers but 8-9" long instead of 16" long.) Snap-on or old Craftsman are good, among other brands. I've had vise grips clamping old Craftsman ign. pliers to where I was SURE they'd break, but instead they held & I got the nut off the coil I needed to remove it from...

well, I emailed ruger Friday after hours, and today I got an e-mail from them with an order number for replacement screws, FOR FREE!! glad I went that route, and its good to know some companies still take good care of their customers! thanks guys, and,yes, I will be using the blue loc-tite, not the red! lol, just wanted to update you all!

PS, I have used regular silicone sealant on bolt threads before, and it seems to work. does anyone have any experience with this keeping screws from backing out on hard kicking 44 mags or other magnum revolvers? thanks!- Travis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast