RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welder ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    The old Duster 340. A sleeper rocket. Friend of mine won $20 off a Firebird 350 with one of those. Man, I'm older than I thought
    LOL you and me both man. We're dating ourselves..... sigh.

Be well

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 1974 but was a slant 6

Banned

My neighbor does a lot of fab work for me. So a couple years back I bought him a 220 miller mig machine. Figured I could use it too. Great little welder. Well our neighbor died and we were helping his wife clean out her garage so she could sell the place there was a small 110 volt miller mig machine like new there and she said we could have it. Well I took it home because the neighbor had the 220 machine. The 110 machine wasn't a pimple on the ### of the 220 machine. Duty cycle was so short that welds had sputters unless you used it just to stitch weld. I wouldn't waste my money on a 110 welder be it stick or mig. Just not enough duty cycle for anything serious. Add to that that you are going to need a higher amperage breaker and bigger wire with 110.

Banned

My first brand new car was a 1974 340 duster. Blue, white stripes and a 4 speed. Ditched the pollution control junk added a set of headers a edelbrock manifold and a 650 holley and it surprised lots of bigger cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Lots of good info ! DougGuy I'll check out the Maxstar , sounds like bout what I'm thinking about . Need to chek out some of the later model welders but heck I'm just a stick welder , did a lot of gas welding back in the 70's on specialty jobs but don't any more 'to slow and expensive' . I like Miller or Lincoln because it's all I ever bought .
    +2 on the Max Star we use them at work , they are are nice when you have to weld where there are no 220 - 480 or no way to get leads in from a motor driven . DougGuy is spot on , 3/32" lo hi & 1/8" 5P on 110V as long as your not leaning on it . Max Stars come with a 220 /208 V plug also and it changes its self internally when the power supply changes .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

+3 on the maxstar, I have had one for about a decade and used it pretty hard. I bought it from a guy who did refinery refits, and it looked like it was at the end of its life then. You will be surprised at how light and durable it is. Do most of my work with a hobart iron man now.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I was watching this on youtube the other day for some reason. Maybe because my wife was a commercial welder and I was thinking of a small portable for her to fix stuff around the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK-M5ryHYY
    I watched the video ..............................Dang ! I'm tempted to buy one just because they are $114.00 ! I still have mind blockage that it could hold up but it did work good for a micro welder . Heck I'd just like to have one !
    No turning back , No turning back !

[QUOTE=DougGuy;4345363]If you just want to stick weld look into a Miller Maxstar. You can find some decent ones on ebay for great prices, make sure it hasn't been ridden hard and put away wet. I have a Maxstar 150 and it does 3/32" 7018, 1/8" 6010-6011, and DC TiG pretty good off a 15a 110v circuit. It will not TiG aluminum, for this you need high frequency AC welding current. I do light carbon steel and also stainless with mine, have done a few gun parts for forum members with it.

We use a Miller Trailblazer 325 on our mobile trailer, and I have a nice old 500 amp diesel Big 50 sitting over at a buddy's shop that I use in welding excavator buckets and heavy equipment repairs.[/QUOTE

I looked at the Maxstar , looks like a nice little machine . Kind of pricy new but as you suggested I'll check for a 'gently' used preowned . Thank you !

Banned

got to say I was impressed for a 114 bucks. You can spend that much for one weld job at a shop.
    I watched the video ..............................Dang ! I'm tempted to buy one just because they are $114.00 ! I still have mind blockage that it could hold up but it did work good for a micro welder . Heck I'd just like to have one !

Moderator Emeritus

The kid carries quite the large pocket knife
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    The old Duster 340. A sleeper rocket. Friend of mine won $20 off a Firebird 350 with one of those. Man, I'm older than I thought
    Firebird 350's were very slow sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The kid carries quite the large pocket knife
    I agree !! LOL

Boolit Master
    The Hobart 140 Handler is a decent 120v mig that covers sheet metal to 1/4" for about $500 new. They are owned by Miller and generic tips are readily available. The 125 wasn't bad but the 140 has a better wire feed drive and gas, about the same price.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

yup back then even the legendary 389 and the 400s (other then the ram air III and IV and the rare V models) were mediocre muscle cars when the real muscle cars started hitting the market. Most were high 14 low 15 second cars. About as quick as a modern full sized pickup. Same could be said about the buick motors up to the time the gs455 came out. had a buddy with a 69 firebird with a 350 4barrel. My 340 duster would eat it for lunch with left overs for supper.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Firebird 350's were very slow sorry to say.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-17-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    A miller 211 is easy and does pretty near everything I need done, (1/2" is pushing it), and it will run 110v
    if you need it to. IMHO the downside of the mig is that things need to be basically clean and/or ground off to get good penetration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12