WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: .450 Revolver Smokeless Loads?

Boolit Buddy

.450 Revolver Smokeless Loads?

I'm waiting for a Webley RIC to come in the mail, it's a model with a fluted cylinder and has a 4.5" barrel. It's marked for .450 Adams, the last owner says it will chamber MKII .455. I know the .450 is a black powder only cartridge, and I intend to use it as such, but in my reading I found that later on the .450 was loaded with 6.5 grains of cordite. Is there a safe smokeless powder load for this gun? I plan to use a soft cast bullet between 200 and 230 grains. I've also read that RL15 is considered the equivalent to cordite in terms of the pressure curve, the loads need to be adjusted by 1.19x though. I bought this gun fully planning on using black powder, but just to save myself some cleaning in the future I thought I'd do some digging on whether or not there is a safe smokeless load out there. I'm not dead set on smokeless, if it can't be done safely, then I'll just suck it up and scrub.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RL15 is a rifle powder and I doubt will ignite in a revolver. Years ago I shot 3 grains of Bullseye or 4 grains of Unique in an 1883 R.I.C. with soft, 225-grain Lee bullets intended for the Ruger Old Army and they shot well. I currently use 3.5 grains of Bullseye or 4.5 grains of Unique in my Boer War and later-era .455s with Accurate 45-240H1.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Groo here
    Look at a BP replacement [ Pyrodex or :Lonestar] or Trailboss..

This thread by Ed Harris may help. https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/th...-455-revolver/