WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 32-20 win ammo

Boolit Mold

32-20 win ammo

just aquired a 1906 colt revolver. bought some 32-20 win 115 grain HSM ammo. 800fps. havent fired any yet but thinking this ammo might be to hot for my old gun. havent ordered any dies yet but plan to. need some advise on loads. thanks steve

Boolit Master
    Hello Steve, welcome to the forum,I have some bullets and new cases and a new {very old } S&W 32-20 but no advise on loads. I'm in S Dak in the middle of a blizzard, so sitting at the computer desk and making up some cartridges with my old Ideal tong tool sounds like fun.

Boolit Master
    Steve, go to Hodgdons website and look at 32/20 pistol reloading info. Assuming your firearm is safe to shoot, look at starting loads for the 115 gr lead bullet. They are low pressure.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    800 fps is about what standard pressure factory loads do and should be OK. Loads for the Colt Police Positive and Army Special must be kept in that range. Avoid any of the published loads for Colt single-actions, or post-1918 S&W Hand Ejectors which have heat treated cylinders. Yours does not. I use these loads in my 1924 date of manufacture Colt Police Positive:

_______________________________Colt Police Positive 5”_______Savage Sporter 25”
    Accurate 31-105T
    LD#4, 3.4 grains Bullseye__________798 fps, 27 Sd, 60ES________1153 fps, 20 Sd, 72 ES

Accurate 31-114D

LD#3, 3.0 grains Bullseye_________741 fps, 35 Sd, 92 ES________1041 fps, 26 SD, 78 ES

LD#4, 3.2 grains Bullsye__________861 fps, 20 Sd, 54 ES________1173 fps, 18 Sd, 52 ES
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    The HSM web page lists 850fps for their 115gr RNFP 32-20 Winchester. I think something closer to 700fps is good enough for old Colts.

2.5gr Bullseye with a 115gr RNFP groups well and shoots to point-of-aim from my Colt Police Positive.

I've tried smaller charges but the groups opened-up.