RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: 38 Super (1911) powder choice W-540?

Moderator Emeritus

38 Super (1911) powder choice W-540?

I'd like to use W-540, and welcome any comments pertaining...

I debated where to post this, and chose this forum, since my question is 1911(clone) specific.

Yesterday, I put money down, on a new RIA (Rock Island) 1911 in 38 super. I hope to have it in my hands within 2 weeks. My end goal, is to work up to full power loads (+p) with a 128 TC/SWC boolit (My NOE 128gr SWC is shaped much more like a TC than a SWC, so I tend to call it a TC.

I've been reading some old threads and I was glad to see this, from (10-17-2012).
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I use to use W540 about 17 years ago, it has been discontinued I think.
    I have a couple lbs of W-540, one in plastic jug and one in old steel can, I'd like to use up this old discontinued powder.
    I read from many sources that Hodgdon basically "rebranded" W-540 and calls it "HS-6"
    This is good, as I can't find 38 super data for 540, but I can find HS-6 data from many sources.

Also a old post from ReloaderFred on this topic:
    It [540] was made by the St. Marks Powder Company, in St. Marks, FL. The plant used to be owned by Olin, but has since sold. Data for HS-6 and Winchester 540 are generally interchangeable, according to Hodgdon.
    From Hodgdon website:
    HS-6™ HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance. In shotshell HS-6 yields excellent heavy field loadings in 10 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga., and even the efficient and effective 28 ga. HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant. HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
    https://www.hodgdon.com/hs-6/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I used to use W540 in several cartridges until it was discontinued. Like you, I heard that HS6 was a duplicate. I got some, backed down a few grains, and worked back up again. They do seem to be duplicates.

I am using more and more HS6 in recent years. I have tried it in almost everything I used Unique in. Unique is a really great powder, but it does not meter worth a darn in any of my meters. HS6 meters like a dream and is about as accurate as Unique in the things I have tried it in. Don't think that it is a duplicate of Unique, however. HS6 takes from 1/3 to 40% more powder than Unique does to get the same velocities. Once there, it does well, though.

I have a Colt 38 super. It is one of my most accurate handguns. I use a max charge of HP-38 under a 130 grain cast rn, with this load I can put a whole magazine in one ragged hole at 15 yards
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

If Hodgdon says the two powders are interchangeable, I would go by their statement. Hodgdon has several powders that have different labels, but are the same. Example being W-231 and HP-38 and 296 & H110 and you can use Hodgdon's loading data for both labels. Start at the low end for the HS6 powder data and work up to your safe top end load and you get to use the powder you have on hand.

Moderator Emeritus

Attachment 218776

The pistol arrived yesterday. I was really impressed with the fit and finish of the $500 Rock Island 1911, while it's "plain", it's surely a well done "plain". I've handled many economy 1911 guns at the LGS and usually I'm not impressed, even the Ruger.
    Dummy rounds cycle smoothly, but the spring is quite strong, which I guess is to be expected with 38 Super? The throat looks promising for a economy 1911. The sights that Rock Island uses leave a lot to be desired, but we'll see how they work at the range.

I'm still waiting on Dies and Brass. I've owned many Ranch Dog molds, and sold most of them when I was thinning the herd, I forgot I had kept 135gr. 9mm (GC style)...that's was kind of lucky it should be a good one for this gun/caliber.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Bub
    Do an internet search for the 38 Super load list by Jeff Maass - he has compiled a large load list from IPSC shooters and there are a ton of WW540 loads listed. I have it as a PDF and will try to attach it here but don't know if that will work...
    Attached Files Attached Files

You'll really enjoy shooting it, mine is probably the most accurate pistol I own! I use a 1200 fps load with the Lee 125rf and Acc#7 powder.

Boolit Master
    Those Rocks area great deal! I have a 22tcm and just got a "fancy" 5 inch 45 acp (Bomar'ish rear sight, etc). RI's answer to SA Range Officer. Son has a 45 Officers acp. Just great guns !
    12-1300 f/s 125g's are a great load in the super - I think I was using Blue Dot.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Moderator Emeritus

from post #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have acquired new brass and dies and have cast some of the 135gr RD boolits, BUT I am embarrassed to say , I haven't done anything else with this project yet. Just too many other yard/garden projects needed to be done first. I hope to spend some time in the reloading room this weekend...maybe I'll get to the 38 super?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

This is from a 1995 Winchester powder guide. In Lane Simpson's Book the Custom 1911 he has some load data for the super with 155 and 160 gr lead bullets maxing out at 7.0/540.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3754.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

38 Super load data in Lee's Modern Reloading for W540 and HS6.

Boolit Master

Sierra has both 38 Super and 9mm Largo level loads in their reloading manual and if you contact them they will send you pdfs of those specific pages out of the manual to print off and add to your Sierra reloading book if its missing. I usually contact them once a year for new load data if I see a new cartridge is missing from my reloading manuals.

I mentioned 9mm Largo as its a lower pressure loading of 38 Super with a rimless case.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I used to wonder how folks would have guns that they didn’t intend to keep as investments, but that they didn’t ever get around to shooting....then it happened to me.

If I only bought new guns, and if they ran perfectly, and if I only shot factory ammo, then maybe I wouldn’t have this problem, but the rest of the hobby is too fun for that.

Moderator Emeritus

Range visit today.
    Cloudy, 65º, and breezy.
    Not much tree pollen in the air after last night's rain,
    but lots of water and mud at the club.

Attachment 262356

100 rds at the first Target, not the best group, but they were all on the paper.

Attachment 262357

Attachment 262358

Attachment 262359
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

I bought one of those at the local gun shop about a year ago then bought another from them a month later , I am shooting be-86 in my pair , picked up spare mags from buds , they are fun . Looks like you got plenty of help on load data , Is this the first range trip ? asking because of the date on posts , those rocks are good pistols .

Moderator Emeritus

Flint,
    Technically, this is the second outing for this pistol. This project (loading ammo) got put on the back burner last summer/fall...and I wasn't about to buy any factory ammo

Anyway, I finally got around to loading some test loads in January or February...and I did visit the range with it during a nice sunny Minnesota winter day back then, just to shoot a clip full each of different loads, I didn't really shoot for accuracy, as it was just too cold for me. I was just looking at function, getting a feel of recoil and how far the brass was flying out of the gun...to find a load. I decided the 7.5gr load with the NOE 128gr SWC was best for the gun and my desires.

Yesterday, I figured was a good day to shoot 200-300 rds to give the gun it's first workout. I was quite happy that I was able to put the first hundred rds on the paper, no fliers, the gun cycled perfectly on every round, the barrel didn't lead foul, I got a perfect lube star on the muzzle, but didn't get any greasy-sooty lube anywhere else on the gun. I recovered some boolits, and was happy with the amount of expansion for a 15 Bhn balanced alloy. I examined the brass, nothing out of the ordinary there, which is always good.

regarding Mags:
    The RIA factory mag is OK, and did function fine during the February test, but I was encouraged by a friend to order a couple CheckMate mags (shown in photo). They aren't too expensive, but are build so much better. The follower in the CheckMate mags moves so much smoother than the factory follower, when I discovered that, I figured I'd just store the factory mag and exclusively use the CheckMate mags...I probably will never shoot this enough to need more mags, but I am considering ordering a couple more..because you just never know how long they will be easily available.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

I have had good service from my stock magazine , always buy extras , found a deal on brass and picked up a few thousand , I like them , now that weather is getting better it is time to go out more often , I did some shooting through the winter , range has a stove in a room at rifle area in a room to warm up , but pistol range has none and it gets cold .