WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: “Nose squish” with MP HP

Boolit Grand Master

“Nose squish” with MP HP

Finally got around to playing with my MP 41 Mag 265gr WFNGC HP and when putting the check on and running through the lubrasizer, the nose compacts down. Anyone have an issue with this? Alloy is #2. I’m using some GC I have for my Accurate mold and am unsure of the shank diameter. No lube in these just for show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	403D08D1-711A-49CE-8D70-B8385A2BCE4D.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	219004
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E20C1DA-AFB4-4C96-8708-2A05EE64989F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	219005

Boolit Master
    Spray them with Hornady case lube. Turn them nose down and size as much as you can. Then turn them base down that makes them easier to then push base down to finish sizing and lubing.

I checked some of mine and found the first ones I sized with a pushthru/pan lubed were just fine but the ones I used a Lube sizer on were flattened like you showed on all 3 types of hp, Large, Cup and Penta using the top punch that came witht he mould. Even the PC'd ones that had no lube were flat. I was using COWW + 2% tin on all.

The gas checks I use for this MP mould are the 41 Hornaday (gator) NOT the 41 LT's (416 gator) that are used on the MP 413640. They seem to shoot just fine and expand like the pushthru sized from what I can tell.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Nose first on a Star eliminates this issue and sizes more concentrically. However, I have lubed and sized HP's on a RCBS LAM cast from MP's 270 SAA mold, without flattening them. IICC, air cooled alloy was softer than Lyman #2, which IMO. is too hard for HP's.

Winelover

If using a Lyman/RCBS sizer, you can custom make a nose punch using JB weld. Make it fit the HP nose perfectly & it will support the nose during sizing.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I had a pic in the moulds section of a nose punch sent by Eric Ohlen who did a hp job on a mould of mine. He machined a "post" that fit the hp perfectly. Works great !
    I'm getting my lathe re-setup and am going to try matching some other hp's.
    I have a MiHec 9mm hp mould that smooshes if I use too thick a metal for the pb gas checks (for 38 super loads).
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Star, and have to use a homemade version Hornady case lube sprayed and lightly tumbled. Works like a champ. Also running two lubed bullets and one unlubed works but a lot more work. My NOE hollow points are always run nose first and lube through the lowest holes in the die to reduce the friction on the next bullet.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I use an older Lachmiller sizer, very similar to the RCBS current system. When I size boolits, either with or without a GC, I have to remember that getting into a hurry costs me the nose profile of the boolit even when the top punch is a fine match for the nose profile. When in a hurry, I move the boolit quickly into the die and onto the stop pin and get deformed noses. When I move the ram handle slowly and do not bottom out with heavy pressure, the noses remain rather original. The old story about falling off the roof of a 12 story building won't hurt you, but the sudden stop at the bottom of the fall is another story. Same here. When sizing quickly, that sudden stop against the stop pin is where most of my nose displacement happens. I have to remember to chill, move slowly, and get better results. I'm always learning. And trying to remember.

I bought a Lee push thru sizer and haven't crushed a single boolit. If I want grease lube, I just run them a second time in the RCBS...