Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Trapdoor Springfield

Boolit Master

Trapdoor Springfield

I have owned a trapdoor Springfield for quite some time as a wall hanger - not really ever intending to fire it. It's been in my family since at least the turn of the 20th century. Well, very long story but someone ended up loading it up and firing a very healthy 45/70 load through it. The results are in the attached photo. What event (s) would lead to this chamber distortion? I find it odd that it is so smooth and localized. The beginning of the belly would be 12 o'clock in the bore as best I can tell.
    It was fired by someone who should have known better, he reported that it was more of a "fwump " than a boom. And the bullet did hit the intended 25 yard target.
    Obviously, uber stupid thing to do but figured I could learn something from y'all!
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Could your rifle be one of the early trapdoors which were 50-70.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JCherry View Post
    Could your rifle be one of the early trapdoors which were 50-70.

Have Fun,

JCherry
    I agree with you or at least something like a different chamber than 45-70. Without having the rifle and case in hand, it is really hard to guess. What does the case mouth measure? Does the bore or muzzle measure 45 cal or something else? A picture of the rifle, especially the lock would help. Maybe a few other easy clues could be passed on.
    You may not have injured the rifle. Not sure with out more data.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

If that is indeed a 45-70 case, it looks rather like it was fired in a 50-70 chamber. I would expect to see rifling marks at the end, though.

Boolit Grand Master

A "forager"....?

A picture of the TD would help?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Ill go along with the 50-70 chamber. as to rifling marks opening up the 45 70 case that much and the reverse neck will shorten it a lot also. Measure overall length of the case it started around 2.1" long, see what it is now. If you have a 45-70 bullet try it in the muzzle and see how it fits. A 45 bullets base wont enter a 45 caliber barrel due to rifling and bore being smaller than the bullet. WHile not truly as accurate as needed for most tasks the inside blades of calipers will give an idea also of the bore size.

Boolit Master
    Unbelievable.You would need a tight crimp on that one.

Boolit Master
    If it is a 45-70 chamber you would not have been able to eject that case.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    The chamber is not 45/70. If it was a over pressure round it would shoot ,hard to extract or blow the gun up. The brass flowed out to fit the chamber. You can’t make the chamber that much bigger by shooting a high pressure load. It would shoot fitting the chamber or blow a chunk out of the top or side of it.

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a 50/70 with a serial number, never seen a 45/70 without. I'm sure there are exceptions but if it doesn't have a SN stamped on it I'd assume a 50-70 too. I have both but have not shot either of them.

I believe the first Allin conversions were not serial numbered as they were made from 1863 muskets. The barrels were sleeved to 50 caliber. I would say you have one of those. The guys here know a LOT more than I do on this but more photos of lock area would definitely identify what youhave.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master

This is a model 1868 Springfield trapdoor in 50-70. It has a serial number and is the only model with the extra long shank ahead of the trapdoor. Does yours look like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180414_184736.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Apologies all!!
    I had a system update on my phone and this feed was lost to me for a time.
    I was quite pleased to see all of your wonderful responses!!
    Yes, in fact it is a 50/70! That was news to me, it has been on the wall for so long I haven't really given it much thought until this event. I included some photos, perhaps someone on here can shed some light on the back story here.
    Thank you all again!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm betting it's a 50-70, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I do have a friend who has converted many old movie guns with bad barrels to .50-70.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

That is a model 1868, just like mine posted earlier. They are a blast to shoot, with .50-70 brass that is

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Shooting the undersized 45-70's - might want to put a bore light in the barrel to see if there is any lead in the grooves
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Thank you again all!
    I cast the chamber, slugged the barrel - definitely 50-70 government. Slugged to 0.510", the barrel is beautiful and shiny, sharp edged rifling.
    It makes sense now that I think - was a relative from New York who always claimed it to be his grandfather's "National Guard Rifle". I must admit to being a bit sheepish about walking by this thing for years and not even think of it. I have dies and brass and bullets on the way - may as well give it a whirl!

Yeah thats a model 1868 rifle that has a 1869 on the breach block, it's upside down, but plainly visible in those photo's. The serial number shown is one made in the last month of 1869. If you want to shoot it, make sure the boolits are at least .515 or larger. With 3 groves, it's extremely hard to determine exact diameter without special tools.
    N.R.A. Life Member

I've got an 1870 in 50-70, great shooter.

Accurate has pressure tested data for the 50-70 for old rifles.

I use the cheapie lee mold, sized and lubed to .515 using Accurate 5744.