RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 17 Mach 2

Boolit Buddy

17 Mach 2

Wonder of wonders - found some 17 Mach 2 in Scheels Overland Park, KS yesterday!! $9.99 a box - no limit. It was CCI.

Boolit Master

Cabelas has all you want at $8.99, both CCI and Hornady

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-...Per/741176.uts
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I was smart enough, and lucky enough to get a Ruger 77/17, Mach 2 with the 20" sporter barrel, yrs ago. It is superb for head shots on tree squirrels. I once shot a standing jackrabbit in the torso at about 50yds. It just stood there. Thinking I missed, I chambered another rd. While aiming, he fell over dead. Tiny entrance hole, and no exit. A strange kill indeed. I have over 1500 rds put away, and only hunt it.

Boolit Master

If for nothing else I have wanted one because that's got to be about the cutest little round I've seen!

I sure hope they don't go the way of the 5 mm Remington, I know folks argue that the 17 HMR makes the M2 unnecessary but since when does necessity have anything to do with it?

I have an original Oregon Arms Chipmunk 22 rf rifle that would be perfect for that caliber, oh well too many projects already and not nearly enough time!

Boolit Master
    I'll agree with oldred, very cool looking round !
    Back when it came out, I got a 10/22 bbl for the .17 Mach 2. (I learned ya really have to balance the bolt/spring weight to the round - can you say full auto !). Fun little sucker once I got that figured out.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

I use a 452 CZ topped with a 10x B&L elite, it is an awesome squirrel/pest rifle to fifty yards. I have used an HMR on small game and I tend to disagree about the M2 being unnecessary.The HMR is pretty destructive with a body hit.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

When the 17 HM2 came out, I remember reading that Dieter Anschutz was walking around the Shot Show showing folks the group he shot with it in one of his rifles. That man knows rimfire accuracy; must have been a good group. Too bad it flopped. The 17 HMR on the other hand is very popular and I will buy or build another someday.

It is a cute little rascal, but there is a lot of competition in that little niche.

Boolit Master

Right now it is available in just about any quantity we might want and the adage "get'm while ya can" certainly applies here! It won't be long before we hear folks moaning and groaning because they didn't stock up while they could!

In fact it may happen sooner than we think, the mid-term elections are coming up very soon and it's not looking good because the gun grabbers are going all out while too many of the good folks are sitting smug and happy with our President in office not even thinking about what could very well happen to us. The libs are working tirelessly to get out the vote but I have talked to good folks who don't seem to even know there is an election coming up!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    $6.55 is the lowest now... That i 13.5 cents a shot
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/17hm2

I bought 11 bricks at $3.50/box =7 cents a shot when it came out.

I bought a 17M2 reamer.

I bought a 10/22 17M2 tensioned barrel.

I bought the right bolt handle.

I bought....

It blew up in my face.

By 2008 I was done with 17M2 in semi auto rifles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    It blew up in my face.

By 2008 I was done with 17M2 in semi auto rifles.

Wow that would be interesting to hear about, care to tell us about it?

Boolit Master

Recalled Hornady and Remington ammo didn't help.
    Recall/buyback of Remington 597 rifles didn't help.
    Shortage of everything gun related at that time didn't help.
    Ruger's failure to launch the advertised Ruger 10/17 rifle didn't help.

https://www.remington.com/support/sa...ty-warning-and
    https://www.eabco.com/ruger1022warnings.htm
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...7-controversy/
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17M2CCIblowncasehead17Mach21022conversionfailure17M2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	218521

my 10/22 with Majestic Arms 17M2 barrel with Lothar Walther liner, Power Custom handle, STS trigger, has blown out the rim.

I really tried to straighten this out. It takes a lot to get me to give up on a gun.

My brother used my reamer and rebarreled an old pinned barrel Marlin bolt gun. He says it won't kill a prairie dog, but it has never blown up in his face.

The case head strength margins are just too small for a dirty blow back semi auto. It does not matter the spring, the mass, the bolt, or the chamber. It will shoot and shoot and then blow up.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the main issues with the early 17M2 in semi-auto's are dirty chambers. Later some of the manufacture oversized the chambers to limit this issue than cracked neck and shoulders became an issue. I have one of the first Magnum Research 17M2's. Shoots outstanding and zero issues but I try to clean the chamber every 100 round but I will never go more than 150.

Boolit Master
    How did Savage do with their semi-automatic 17 HMR rifles? I see them for sale still. Plus there is the CCI A17 ammo made for semi-autos like the Savage too?

Boolit Master

The A17 is still for sale. The description calls it a delayed blowback. Perhaps that makes all the difference.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17M2CCIblowncasehead17Mach21022conversionfailure17M2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	218521

my 10/22 with Majestic Arms 17M2 barrel with Lothar Walther liner, Power Custom handle, STS trigger, has blown out the rim.

I really tried to straighten this out. It takes a lot to get me to give up on a gun.

My brother used my reamer and rebarreled an old pinned barrel Marlin bolt gun. He says it won't kill a prairie dog, but it has never blown up in his face.

The case head strength margins are just too small for a dirty blow back semi auto. It does not matter the spring, the mass, the bolt, or the chamber. It will shoot and shoot and then blow up.
    Ouch!!!! However that's what I love about these forums, this is all new to me but apparently not to several other folks here. Are there any common problems related to this round in single shot or bolt/lever repeaters? Maybe I would do well to just forget the 17 M2 Chipmunk, but then I probably never would have gotten around to it anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Ouch!!!! However that's what I love about these forums, this is all new to me but apparently not to several other folks here. Are there any common problems related to this round in single shot or bolt/lever repeaters? Maybe I would do well to just forget the 17 M2 Chipmunk, but then I probably never would have gotten around to it anyway.
    Most of the issues are with the semi-auto's. I have Sako Quads, CZ 452 and Contenders in 17M2 and the Magnum Research in a Semi-Auto. Neck and shoulder cracks are more common than with the 17HMR but in either they are not a problem or a safety issue. I did have one blown head like in the picture with the Semi-Auto. I had well over 400 rounds without cleaning the chamber. No damage to anything. Since I have started cleaning the chamber at 150 rounds I have had zero issues. Years back when closeout prices made 17M2 really cheap I purchased 12,000 rounds. I have shot a little over half of that. Other than ammunition availability I would have zero concerns about a bolt action 17M2